Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103126 - 09/14/08 09:41 PM kit advice.
kknowles Offline

Ok im new to this, the light - ultra light setup, but im former military and have some of my old kit to include an old recon kit. meaning the lightweight rucksack with a minimal frame water proof and durable as all heck. ive used this countless times in real world applications but im wondering if i should stick with this or if i should get a newer backpack for the hiking excursions.

#103127 - 09/14/08 10:16 PM Re: kit advice. [Re: kknowles]
GreenandTan Offline

First of all, thanks for your service and welcome. I would say stick to the kit you are familiar with and which has worked out for you in the real world. When, and if it wears out, or if it just does not work for the application then it is time to replace it. As I am sure you know, not all government issued equipment is the best, for example cotton BDUs are terrible in cold, wet conditions.
Assess what works for you in your area and what doesn't. You may be able to use some of your kit, all of it or none of it. It will probably take a couple of trips to figure it out.

#103128 - 09/14/08 10:24 PM Re: kit advice. [Re: kknowles]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
The question is really do you need something different than what you have? The answer is "it depends." I say that because if you are happy with your military gear, there is no particular reason to get something else. Backpacks come in all shapes, sizes and colors, but they all do basically the same thing.

However, having said that, civilian packs may be lighter, more comfortable, and have more features, such as more straps or pockets than yours. I am not sure which pack you have, so how different other packs may be, I really don't know.

If you go to the TLB Gear Portal at the top of the page and look through the sponsors' websites, you can get an idea of what's available at places like REI.

My suggestion is to then go to a store like REI or a specialty backpacking store that carries a wide selection of quality packs that you can see in person. I'd stay away from big box stores and the cheap packs you'll find there. Some may be okay, but most are not and you may as well start by looking at the good ones.

That way you can compare them to what you already have and then determine if you want to get something else.

#103129 - 09/15/08 06:31 AM Re: kit advice. [Re: kknowles]
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Welcome, and again, thanks for serving. You've come to the right place. I was a boy scout and only car camped, until I stumbeled across this site. I did buy a new pack after much research and started making my own gear. I went from a cheap dept. store tent to a DIY hammock and love it. I also now use a home built alcohol popcan stove which really helped lighten the load. Check out the light gear lists. It can become an obsession but don't let it take away from having fun and spending time in the woods etc.

#103130 - 09/15/08 07:38 AM Re: kit advice. [Re: kknowles]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
So, I am guessing you are british from you using the term "kit". Anyways, my advice would be to keep the ruck, buy the rest of your stuff, then buy a new pack if you want.

#103131 - 09/15/08 12:55 PM Re: kit advice. [Re: finallyME]
kknowles Offline

lol no im not british, im American, the main reason i ask is the ruck is about 7lbs give or take a few ounces im just wondering if that'd be to heavy to proceed ahead with ultralight mind you the distribution of the weight in it is great due to the rack setup but no less its still 7lbs and im looking to do very long distance treks as it were.

#103132 - 09/15/08 01:10 PM Re: kit advice. [Re: kknowles]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Greetings. As far as whether the ruck is a good item to keep, I think that depends on what you plan on doing; military gear tends to be very tough compared to civilian gear, making them good "working" packs for activities like hunting. I'm of mind that if a person wants to stick to trails and is mainly concerned about weight, then the best three items to pick up first are a lightweight pack, sleeping bag, and tent. Picking lightweight versions of those three items will save more weight than any other piece of equipment.

Some things to keep in mind with lightweight gear, such as packs, are that they tend to be not quite as durable (depending on the brand & model) and that they often have a recommended weight limit, such as 30 lbs.

#103133 - 09/15/08 01:42 PM Re: kit advice. [Re: kknowles]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

And to reiterate, I think (particularly if you are used to your army ruck) There's nothing wrong with using it for a bit - yes 7 lbs is monsterous for what we're often talking about carrying, but I would
lighten up the rest of your load first - once you notice you're carrying 20 pounds of gear in your
7 pound ruck - then it's time to think about "ok, if I'm normally carrying this.. what pack should
I buy" - it's a lot easier to buy a pack knowing what you're carrying in it, than not.

To put it another way, I typically head out for a weekend with about 18 to 20 lbs on my back,
carried in a pack that weighs about a pound and a half or a little less. However, you wouldn't
want to use my pack, unless you were that light in the first place, because my pack is not designed
to carry, and won't be comfortable with heavier loads than that. I too have the giant 7 lb ruck - a civilian style one - for big loads in the winter, hunting, etc.
Browse my pictures

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum