Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99433 - 07/11/08 04:07 AM Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles, increase durabilty?
flydude26 Offline

Hey Guys! I just bought a pair of carbon fiber trekking poles (REI Brand) and love how light they are (11.2 oz.) but they don't take scratches as well as the aluminum ones around the rocky Sierra trails. I've heard the fibers could show and leave nasty splinters while tightening them. Do you know of any lightwieght abrasive resistant material (tape?) that might work good to protect the lower pole shaft a little?

#99434 - 07/11/08 05:34 AM Re: Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles, increase durabilty? [Re: flydude26]
kat Offline

I can't answer your question, but I do have one for you if I may: Did you have any problems with those poles collapsing?

I've been really wanting to pick up a pair of those REI CF poles for a while (I'm assuming you bought the Compact ones from the weight) but I've read quite a bit about the Duolock not holding up, so I've been sticking with my hefty Black Diamond Expedition flicklocks....

#99435 - 07/11/08 08:31 AM Re: Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles, increase durabilt [Re: flydude26]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I've had a pair since early '06 and I use them all the time. They're the ones in my avatar. I have 450-500 Sierra miles on them including the entire JMT. Never had a problem with splintering. The lower shafts are somewhat abraded but no fibers protrude.

They will lock consistently as long they are kept clean. I occasionally pull the sections apart and wash the grit out with a garden hose. I let them dry thoroughly in the sun and then I lightly lube the threads with silicon grease. They will not collapse if you tighten them enough.

#99436 - 07/11/08 08:45 AM Re: Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles, increase durabilt [Re: flydude26]
GreenandTan Offline

I have some CF poles. They are not the REI brand but probably similar. I have used them a lot over the last three years and, yes, they show scratches, but there is no problem with them splintering or showing sharp fibers. You mention that you have heard that they could splinter and have fibers protrude. I am assuming from this comment that it has not happened yet. I would say don't worry too much about it. If they wear prematurely I would take them back as REI has a very good return policy. One thing that might help is to keep the baskets on them to act as kind of a bumper if you are concerned. Outdoor gear will show wear if you use it.

#99437 - 07/11/08 09:12 AM Re: Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles, increase durabilt [Re: flydude26]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I as well have used a pair for two years. I have Komperdell C3's - they've been very good to me.
I do have to clean them out if grit gets into the mechanism just like Trailrunner mentioned - but I've had to do that with my old aluminum ones too. I've never had one collapse when properly tightened. The bottoms of my shafts are not abraded or anything like that, and I've taken them through plenty of rough stuff, so I don't think you'll need to wrap them.

I did break a bottom section once - through my own stupidity. I was scrambling a mountain with them and for a hands on section strapped them to the back of my pack, however I didn't properly
tighten in the bottom section. I ducked up under a krummholz spruce, felt something catch, turned a bit an heard a little "snap" - the pole had caught on a branch, fully extended the bottom section down to the mechanism, and then when I turned I put all the pressure right on the end bit - snap - I broke the mechanism off the end of the bottom section. man I'm dumb. fortunately the nice people at MEC just handed me another bottom section - no charge - even when I admitted how I
did it.
Browse my pictures

#99438 - 07/11/08 12:37 PM Re: Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles, increase durabilty? [Re: kat]
flydude26 Offline

Yes, I have the Compact UL Trekking Poles. I was told by someone at REI that they (assuming actually Komperdell) improved the duo-locks for the 2008 model. I don't know this for fact but I took my poles apart and found a cylindrical wedge that did seem wider then some of the older poles locks I've seen. It's attached and can't slip off to the threads, which is nice. If you get them Kat, try to twist and lock a few pairs, I went through a few until I found one that was very smooth. They seemed to be very solid when locked.

I've only taken them on one day hike, but it sounds like they're just as durable as aluminum poles. agree/disagree?

#99439 - 07/11/08 08:03 PM Re: Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles, increase durabilt [Re: flydude26]
jasonlivy Offline

Loc: Colorado
The only issue with the CF Komperdell (REI and MSR included) I've seen in terms of durability is the threaded post beaking where the friction wedges screw on to. I wish Komperdell would make these out of aluminum, but unfortunately they are plastic albeit pretty strong plastic. My only caution would be to not over-extend the poles thus putting more stress on these treaded posts (this could happen while pitching with a tarp). I've had a couple break on me.

Quote:
I've only taken them on one day hike, but it sounds like they're just as durable as aluminum poles. agree/disagree?

#99440 - 07/13/08 05:34 AM Re: Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles, increase durabilty? [Re: flydude26]
kat Offline

Thanks for letting me piggy-back my question onto your post - and thanks to you and others that answered. Good to know Duolock has been "tweaked" and that cleaning/thorough tightening should do the job.

Now I have to wait for another 20% off coupon.... those poles are a wee bit pricy!

#99441 - 07/13/08 08:34 AM Re: Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles, increase durabilt [Re: jasonlivy]
goatpacker Offline

Loc: Eastern Washington
I had the compact ones break on me in the past at the stress point mentioned above. I've since switched to the longer non-compact (slightly heavier) version and have been very pleased with them. Longer poles that are shortened internally give you a much stronger pole at the joint areas and more options for tent/tarp use.

Note: I'm 6' tall, so using the compact ones initially was certainly taking them to the limit of their extension.

#99442 - 07/14/08 06:49 AM Re: Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles, increase durabilty? [Re: flydude26]
geokite Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I've gone through 3 sets of poles made by Komperdell, with the MSR brand on them. They always broke where the pole meets the expander (it is glued into the section below it).

Switched to the BD flick lock (also CF) and have had no problems.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum