Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95851 - 05/06/08 10:31 PM Garmin Colorado 300 GPS (UPDATE)
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Been putting off buying a GPS for backpacking for years but Garmin has a new unit that may finally satisfy my needs. I'm close to buying a Garmin Colorado GPS unit for solo backpacking and backup for when I'm a group leader on Sierra Club backpacking trips.

After talking to an REI salesman I think the base Colorado 300 is the one to get. Then I can spend $100. for the Topo software & not have a dedicated, "hardwired" topo map but one I can update or remove & load costal software for sea kayaking.

I understand the Colorado 300, when loaded with the topo software, is exactly the same as the 400t, including the novel "3D" viewing of a routes. Also, like the other Colorado units it can be upgraded with new Garmin operating software as it comes out.

Anyone have a Colorado? Any comments good, bad or ugly?

Eric
P.S. Please reply quickly. This money is burning a hole in my pocket and I lust for that "New Item Worship" high.

OK, OK, OK the money has burned its hole in my pocket and I bought the Colorado 300 GPS.

NOW a few words of advice for those thinking of getting a Colorado 300 (not the 400t W/ its pre-loaded topo)

1. Get the 300 version B/C it has more available memory for storing waypoints, routes, etc. than the 400t version. (Same price once the topo software is purchased.)

2. Buy the Garmin Mapsource "TOPO U.S. 2008" software

3. VERY important> Buy a 4 gig. S D card. Garmin says do NOT buy the Ultra II SanDisc SD card as it often does not work well with their GPS units. (Nice! Why don't they tell us that on the GPS package?)

4. Now you can load part (say the Western U.S.) of the TOPO U.S. software to the S D card following the tutorial instructions on Garmin's website. 4 gigs is enough to handle that. The Western U.S. (west of Kansas) takes about 1,800 of Garmin's map squares and the Colorado will hold 4,000 maps. Most of the contiental U.S. will fit the Colorado 300's capacity.

5. Buy two AA Lithium batteries or NiMh if you like rechargables.

6. Buy a padded "holster" to carry this precious cargo on your pack strap or belt.

Edited by 300winmag (05/15/08 10:29 PM)

#95852 - 05/08/08 10:10 PM Re: Garmin Colorado 300 GPS [Re: 300winmag]
300winmag Offline

OK, I guess the Garmin Colorado GPS series is so new nobody has any experience with them since I have no replies on this thread.

FYI> The very best (most thorough) review I have found is online from "GPS magazine".

Take a look and see what you think.

Two Amazom.com reviews,where I ordered my Colorado, say the firmware has some problems - sort of like Windows Vista. (eewww!)

But, UNLIKE Microsoft, Garmin is noted for fast firmware fixes that can be downloaded from their site. So I guess I'll be a ginuea pig for this new model.

I'll keep you updated on my experience. Let the "New Item Worship" begin.

Eric

#95853 - 05/12/08 09:14 AM Re: Garmin Colorado 300 GPS [Re: 300winmag]
geokite Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Don't have any experience with the Colorado, but keep in mind that with Garmin, the software goes with the unit.

Once the software is linked to a particular unit, they go together. Lose the unit, the software can not be loaded on another GPS. Gone, voila, useless DVD. I know this works for software that has to be "unlocked". Don't know for sure that this applies to the topo software (forgot if my topo software is linked to my 60csx)

And if you buy the software on the unit or on a SD card, those maps can not be loaded onto your computer for better viewing. They stay on the unit/SD card. The SD card can be moved from unit to unit though.

Check out the groundspeak forums for more info.

Note: this thread should probably be moved to the electronics forum.

#95854 - 05/12/08 12:50 PM Re: Garmin Colorado 300 GPS [Re: geokite]
300winmag Offline

Geo,

Thanks for the heads up. I bought the Garmin CD topo software for the Colorado. Like Magellan and others, the software is proprietary so we're all stuck W/ that situation. There appear to be a few nice aftermarket ad-on apps for Garmin, some even free at "GPS trails maps" site.

Eric

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum