Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95845 - 05/06/08 06:22 PM sierra designs light year solo tent
blacklite Offline

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
just want to know from anyone who has used this tent if you have a good use of the 3 sq ft vestibule? I like the idea of a vestibule in a solo tent but would like to be able to cook/ keep gear overnight in it. thanks for any info.

#95846 - 05/07/08 10:39 AM Re: sierra designs light year solo tent [Re: blacklite]
johndavid Offline

Loc: jersey city NJ
Consider that floor plan of average shoe box is nearly or about one square foot.

For about a week's worth of camping I used a Mountain Hardwear solo tent, now discontinued, that had a fairly similar design to SD Light Year, but slightly heavier. For about six months' worth of (discontinuous) camping I've used the (also discontinued) SD Divine Light, which is smaller.

I found both these tents very cramped. Also, many solo tents are too heavy compared with many 2-person tents. The Light Year, in my opinion, is borderline. I looked at one in a store once, and was somewhat put off by weight and bulk considering its size.

For summer conditions, a lot of people might do well with the somewhat larger Wenzel or similar coated pup tents. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___35842

These cost $30 new, offer full flooring and netting (unlike tarps), and if you ditch the poles, are roughly same weight as one-person tent.

#95847 - 05/07/08 01:11 PM Re: sierra designs light year solo tent [Re: blacklite]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
When I had my Lightyear, I basically used the vestibule to keep my boots in. It worked for its intended purpose, but not too much room in the area.

#95848 - 05/09/08 10:48 AM Re: sierra designs light year solo tent [Re: blacklite]
tpdwr Offline

Loc: So. California - Murrieta
I have and use the Sierra Design Light Year. The vestibule is small and mostly I store my boots and water bottle there at night. Actually I usually put my boots in the tent. I boiled water a time or two in the vestibule under very windy conditions, but I'm not a big fan of doing that.

#95849 - 05/09/08 12:36 PM Re: sierra designs light year solo tent [Re: blacklite]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I use a SD Light-year quite a bit for my high-mountain, possibility-of-changeable-weather hikes. I prefer a double wall tent in those conditions. I made a new rain-fly for it out of sil-nylon to save some ounces; it works pretty well and lets more light through in addition. I use the "vestibule" for water bottles mainly.

I am now trying to figure out how to extend the fly to give a bit more protected space for cooking; so far nothing really clever has come to mind. I will, on occasion, take along a 4' x 6', 3+ oz. sil-nylon tarp as a cooking fly if the weather looks ominous. If you don't mind the extra hassle of setting it up and the minor weight penalty, this is probably the better alternative.

#95850 - 05/09/08 04:27 PM Re: sierra designs light year solo tent [Re: blacklite]
khanti Offline

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I agree with previous comments. The only time I can fit my pack in the vestibule is if it's empty, which by the time I've hung the bear bag and stuffed a sack with clothes for use as a pillow and such, it effectively is. Even then it's pretty cramped and doesn't leave room for my boots. In fair weather it's not a problem, but I hate to leave my pack out in driving rain. The tent itself is pretty cramped as well. It's hard to change clothes inside without hurting something. I did exchange the stock stakes for Ti ones and the stuff sack for a smaller SilNil one, which with my Tyvek groundcloth gets it under 3lbs. I wish I was crafty enough to make a custom fly for it. But... I've had my eye on the MSR Hubba to replace the LightYear for those trips where I'm forced to the ground (I've taken to the trees and am never looking back!). My main gripe with the LightYear is that it's not free-standing.

For all my griping, though, it's a great tent for what I paid for it and it's never let me down.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum