Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#154221 - 09/01/11 12:46 AM Klymit Inertia X Frame Pad
Chuk Offline

Loc: Penticton, B.C.
Hi,
Just thought I would let you know that I just finished a 7 day hike on the "West Coast Trail" and I was using the "Klymit Inertia X frame" for my sleeping pad. It was everything that I had hoped for, small, compact, light and very, very comfortable. The set up and adjustments (more / less air) were quick and easy.

#154230 - 09/01/11 02:04 PM Re: Klymit Inertia X Frame Pad [Re: Chuk]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
Hello Chuk,
By chance do you know how much yours weighs?
And did you sleep on your back the whole time?
Did you use a sleeping bag or quilt?
Thanx!
-Barry

#154231 - 09/01/11 02:15 PM Re: Klymit Inertia X Frame Pad [Re: BarryP]
Chuk Offline

Hi BarryP,
It weighs .682 lb.
I slept on my back and sides and was using a down sleeping bag. Some nights I pumped it up hard and others soft,I was skeptical when I bought it but will be using this as my main sleeping pad.
I was very comfortable sleeping on it. Also what a space saver!

#154234 - 09/01/11 05:46 PM Re: Klymit Inertia X Frame Pad [Re: Chuk]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
my concern with the x-frame is not support it is insulation. With those big open gaps it doesn't seem like it wouldn't insulate you very much from the ground. It also seems pretty incompatible with a quilt. Perhaps with a full bag the down would fill in the sections giving you adequate insulation.

How would feel about using the pad at elevation or during shoulder seasons?

Edited by BZH (09/01/11 07:05 PM)

#154236 - 09/01/11 06:33 PM Re: Klymit Inertia X Frame Pad [Re: BZH]
Chuk Offline

BZH,
Good point!
I would use this pad in the shoulder season with a down bag but would definitely not use this with a quilt.We set up camp on wet sand as we had heavy fog for three days.

I did not notice any poor insulation during our trip but the Temperature would only drop to about 48-51 degrees at night.

Maybe someone can give us some feedback about the insulation??

#154257 - 09/02/11 01:15 PM Re: Klymit Inertia X Frame Pad [Re: Chuk]
Klymit Offline

Loc: Utah
Hey guys, Nate Alder here, Founder and CEO of Klymit. I came across the thread here and thought I might try to share some insight behind this.

Surprisingly, the Loft Pockets in our pads do exactly what they say, they create pockets of loft. The Loft Pockets actually are the warmest part of the pad. Hard to believe at first until you test it out for yourself, but we have personally tested it to minus -15 degrees F last winter, and a couple Special Ops teams we work with have tested it to minus -60 F. The Loft pockets simple allow your sleeping bag insulation to maintain its Clo value (insulation value) by not compressing the insulation. Thus, the insulating value of the Inertia X Frame is totally concurrent with the thermal rating of the sleeping bag you use with it. That’s what makes it so thermally efficient, it adapts to all kinds of temperature ranges as you bring the right sleeping bag for your trip. I have received a few calls from troops in the Middle East that use our pads from low altitude in Iraq where it is hot talking about how they use just a poncho on top of them at night, and the Loft Pockets create high ventilation points for them to stay cool off the hot desert ground, but when they go in to high altitude in Afghanistan the pad keeps them very warm when used with a sleeping bag.

Here is a short video showing how the Loft Pockets work: http://youtu.be/VgWDvpnrPHk

That being said, a quilt on a very cold night would probably not be best by itself with the Inertia X Frame, but the holes provide about a 2.8 R-value by themselves with zero sleeping bag. I know several people have used it with a quilt on the AT with great reviews, but I have not personally tested it that way myself yet.

I hope this helps smile

#154287 - 09/03/11 09:10 PM Re: Klymit Inertia X Frame Pad [Re: Klymit]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
It's always good to hear from the manufacturer! Thank you. Nate, for responding!

I've read a few reviews from people who state that they basically fall through the holes. In other words, not everyone's body fits the pad! This is probably something you want to try out on the floor before buying. IMHO, that's a good idea for any sleeping pad.

#154374 - 09/06/11 07:38 PM Re: Klymit Inertia X Frame Pad [Re: OregonMouse]
Klymit Offline

Loc: Utah
Hey Mouse,

You're right, not everyone fits perfectly on the pad. The Inertia X Frame is our most popular pad, and fits most people, but I am a bit of a mutant I guess as the body mapping fits most people, but not me perfectly. That is one of the reasons why we created the Inertia XL with a more universal body map design. It is my favorite, but the pad I take with me all depends on the trip. If I am going for more light weight and warmth I go with the Inertia X Frame, for more comfort I use the XL, and I almost always have the X-Lite with me especially when I travel as it has provided a much more comfortable surface for long delays or flight cancellations than trying to twist my body around the benches with arm rests.

You're absolutely right though Mouse, to choose the best pad for you it is always best to try it out first before you get deep in to the back country smile

We are just getting started in the pad market, so we only have 3 models right now, but as we grow we will come out with more and more options that cover more body styles, so stay tuned smile

We also welcome any feedback and insights in to our development so we can constantly improve our products, so feel free to contact us anytime: info@klymit.com 888-559-6481

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 213 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum