Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197404 - 01/15/17 03:25 PM Flashlight?
edfardos Offline

Loc: CA
What are you using as a lightest possible flashlight with the features you need? I have an Olight S20R Baton (2.5oz plus 1.5oz battery), and I'm looking to shave an ounce or two.

Features required:
rechargeable, preferably 18650 battery (1.5oz for battery)
550lumens, selectable (550/120/5/moonlight)
recessed switch on rear end
seven nights between charges (the olight is more than enough)

Basically a lighter version of this with a recessed button on the end:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-s20r-xml2.html

I'm not considering head lamps at this time.

I also have a keychain LED as a backup.

so, what are you using?

--edfardos

Edited by edfardos (01/15/17 03:26 PM)

#197406 - 01/15/17 04:03 PM Re: Flashlight? [Re: edfardos]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
I find that I use the red LEDs for most tasks at night-covers approx. 95% of my needs. Maybe a few minutes to review the next day's route on the topo with low white light right b4 rolling over and calling it a day. I don't carry a back up for lighting...I simply consider lighting a fairly low priority. If I spent more time hiking during the shorter days, my choice could be different.

#197409 - 01/15/17 08:15 PM Re: Flashlight? [Re: edfardos]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Ed, I have something similar that I use for night bike rides, velcroed to the top of my helmet, but for camping and backpacking it's really overkill. I have a dirt cheap head lamp or one that clips to a hat brim, both of which use a watch battery. Which of the two I take just depends on whatever mood strikes me. If I were night hiking, I might want something brighter, but the 18650 powered light is still way too much. I've been eyeing some of those tiny keychain sized LED lights powered by a single AAA battery. You can get one rated to 100 lumens for under $15, but honestly even that is probably overkill, and I'm mostly looking just because I like gear.

#197413 - 01/15/17 10:54 PM Re: Flashlight? [Re: edfardos]
edfardos Offline

thanks for the hints. Maybe I'm afraid of the dark smile. Do either of you run into brown bears? A small LED light doesn't seem safe enough to me in that regard. I like the red option too.

I took the magnet out of the back of the OLight. It's just under 3.5oz now. Somebody once said the flashlight should weigh less than it's batteries. The Olight is at that point.

I like the 18650 battery for the capacity, not really the amperage. At it's lowest setting, I could leave it on for 28 days straight. At it's highest setting with strobe, it would completely disorient the observing predator.

I think I'm close, but I'm re-evaluating all my gear to reduce weight, and that includes the flashlight. I've gotta get weight off my heels.

thanks again,
--edfardos

#197417 - 01/16/17 01:27 AM Re: Flashlight? [Re: edfardos]
4evrplan Offline

I'm not the right person to ask about bears; there's only black bears where I've been. There's no bears at all around where I live, and even where there were, I've never seen one.

#197419 - 01/16/17 06:05 AM Re: Flashlight? [Re: edfardos]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
The only light that I take is a key chain light. Usually I have one that I use at night and another spare in my first aid kit. The spring ring on the light just fits over my finger like a ring so I put it on when I go to bed and I can always find it at night. I have been using that same light for at least five years because it is never on for over two minutes per night.

#197425 - 01/16/17 12:03 PM Re: Flashlight? [Re: edfardos]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
I'm no Bear expert, by any measure! But from my reading, there are two types of bear in n.america. Black bears, which have a wide array of colors. And grizzlies- often called brown bears.....at this point in time they are only to be found in Montana and north into Canada. For the record that last griz in the north cascades was killed in the mid 80's. I've seen many black bears while hiking...never been visited during the night- I think..knock on wood. My last hike..the g.f. demanded that I carry a can of bear spray. When I ran into a black bear it was really comfortingly to be able to un pin it and remove the safety.....all as I quickly cleared the area. I now consider it as my regular gear( for the record-at night, it's close by and goes with me when I step out to view the stars)

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (01/16/17 12:07 PM)

#197428 - 01/16/17 03:49 PM Re: Flashlight? [Re: edfardos]
OhioPaddler Offline

Loc: Northeast Ohio
That is already a silly light flashlight as it is given it's specs. Olight's website has that flashlight listed at 1.83 oz. If you can cut weight from that it will be in fractions of an ounce. Cutting weight from the battery will mean cutting capacity. 550 lumens may or may not be overkill depending on the situation. Your night vision will be toast using any kind of white light, anyways. Seeing long distances will be the only limitation with using a smaller light. MY edc light is 350 lumens and is plenty for most situations. Anything even close to your needs list from a reputable company like Surefire or Streamlight will be as heavy or heavier than what you already have. A keychain flashlight is about all I can think of that would be marginally lighter and would fill none of your other requirements.

#197486 - 01/22/17 06:37 PM Re: Flashlight? [Re: OhioPaddler]
edfardos Offline

excellent info guys, thanks. it sounds like the olight is light for the specs then. now, if only it had a recessed tail switch itd be perfect imho. finding the side switch in a hurry is difficult at best.

thanks,

edfardos

#197691 - 02/15/17 08:09 PM Re: Flashlight? [Re: edfardos]
edfardos Offline

this new olight looks like a winning combo, with an extra rcr123 battery on hand. 1.87oz with battery, end button, 500 lumens possible.

http://www.olightstore.com/led-flashlights/all-flashlights/olight-h1r-nova

edfardos
OP

#197694 - 02/15/17 10:33 PM Re: Flashlight? [Re: 4evrplan]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By 4evrplan
I'm not the right person to ask about bears; there's only black bears where I've been. There's no bears at all around where I live, and even where there were, I've never seen one.

they are seeing them in Davy Crocket National Forest as well as Sam Houston National Forest

#197697 - 02/16/17 02:06 PM Re: Flashlight? [Re: edfardos]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By edfardos
this new olight looks like a winning combo, with an extra rcr123 battery on hand. 1.87oz with battery, end button, 500 lumens possible.

http://www.olightstore.com/led-flashlights/all-flashlights/olight-h1r-nova

edfardos
OP

It looks quite a bit like my Fenix HL50. I like that light a lot, but it looks like it is now out of production. The button is nice, the 123 batteries last longer than AA's and are also being used in my steripen. CR123's can be a pain to find in stores (an expensive), but I just bought a box off of amazon and should be set for a while.

#197702 - 02/17/17 10:01 AM Re: Flashlight? [Re: toddfw2003]
4evrplan Offline

That's awesome! Good to know.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum