Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192436 - 11/06/15 04:41 PM Backpacks
OhioCC Offline

Hi all,

I'm wanting to get back into camping and I'm looking for a suitable backpack to buy. I used to hike/camp in the 80's and still have my camp trails external frame backpack but was looking at getting an internal frame. I'm not sure I want to sink a bunch of money into the first one. I found this one on Amazon on sale and its so cheap cost wise I'm not sure it would last. Does anyone here have any experience with this pack or company? If its garbage I dont want to get it but for the money I would'nt be out much. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BNTO...pf_rd_i=desktop

#192438 - 11/06/15 05:23 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: OhioCC]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I'd recommend just using the old camp trails external frame for a few trips, just to get your feet wet again. Then, if you're excited about putting together a newer, better kit, look at upgrading some of your other gear before taking the plunge on a new pack. You're much less likely to waste your money if you wait a bit before spending it on a totally unknown quantity like the pack you linked to. Sure, the photo looks good, but you won't be lugging the photo on your back.

Happy hiking!

#192439 - 11/06/15 06:15 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: OhioCC]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I think the standard answer is this is a bad idea. It's a no name pack of very questionable quality (how can they even make a 65L pack for $30). Packs are like shoes... it is all about the fit. How it fits your gear and how it fits you when loaded with your gear. You shouldn't buy a pack sight unseen without a good return policy....

.... and there is my caveat. This pack is sold by Amazon with free returns. As far as I can see there is not much risk with ordering this pack. Check out the quality of materials and construction first. Is the thing going to fall apart a mile down the trail? Load it up and see if your stuff fits. If they do try on the pack loaded up. If it's comfortable walk around abit and see if it is still comfortable. Every step of the way make sure you know the return policy and can get your money back. If your old external is better return this pack.

One thing to note. I doubt this pack is an internal frame pack. It is probably frameless. If true having a low pack weight and arranging your gear will be critical.

#192440 - 11/06/15 06:34 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: OhioCC]
OhioCC Offline

Thanks for the reply guys. Yeah I do realize its probably not a quality pack but to be honest I'm just so curious to see what kind of quality it really is and the 30 dollar price tag seems like a no brainer when I can return it. The funny thing is if I want it in black its 80 bucks..lol. I might just order it so I can quit thinking about it and if its bad I will ship it back.

My camp trails pack is actually very comfortable and held pretty well from all the abuse I put it through. It was well built.

#192441 - 11/06/15 06:39 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: OhioCC]
OhioCC Offline

Oh and here is a pretty bad video with no sound of the pack. Its the only info I could find on it. It does not really show what features the bag has but offers a view of it on someones back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwMTuUK72IU

#192443 - 11/06/15 07:48 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: OhioCC]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Today, if you buy reputable brands, it's hard to buy "bad" gear.

The pack you're looking at doesn't fit the category of "reputable."

As a general rule, there are three variables: lightweight, inexpensive, and good quality. You can pick two.

At $30, you probably can't make a really bad mistake. Like others said, if it's a free return (no freight) order it and see. After you send it back, follow the other advice: use your Camp Trails pack (I really miss mine; long gone) for now, work out the details of the rest of your gear (some may still work well, others you'll want to replace - the Eureka Timberline tent you may have leaps to mind.) AFter you're done replacing things, take it all to a reputable store, and start trying on packs. Fill them with your gear, not the sandbags they have. Sandbags don't give you the same distribution of weight that your gear will, so you can't tell how well the pack will carry unless you use your own gear. It will also tell you how well your stuff fits in the pack (too large a pack is almost as big a problem as too small a pack.)

If you like your external frame pack, but want the ride of an internal frame pack, be aware that there are both pure internal frame packs and hybrid packs that combine the best of internal and external frames. Pure internals will nestle the back of the pack against your back; the Deuter ACT series and the Osprey Aether and Volt are examples of true internals. The hybrids are usually identifiable by the "trampoline" suspension (like the backband on your Camp Trails pack), with the same space between your back and the back of the pack. In particular, the Osprey hybrids (Atmos/Aura and Exos series) are really comfortable. For loads around 25 pounds (including food and water) the Exos is a good choice; for loads heavier than that, the Atmos (men) and Aura (women) are really, really comfortable (but at 4 pounds, a bit heavier than most.)

#192444 - 11/06/15 09:19 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OhioCC Offline

Thanks Glenn for the advice..appreciate it. I do still have a eureka tent but its an apex I got in the mid to late 80's that is still in great shape that I used a lot and a MSR stove that would probably have to be replaced if I wanted to save some weight.

#192445 - 11/06/15 09:39 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: OhioCC]
bluefish Offline

The hip belt in that video looks as functional and comfortable as his girlfriends red hiking boots. grin The foam looks extremely stiff and cheap and the belt tightens from one direction only , which makes it a little less adjustable and comfortable compared to most internal frames . Notice he put it on and didn't even come close to touching his hips with the belt. Not only would I pack it and see how it feels, I'd walk a mile or two and see how that belt works.

#192447 - 11/06/15 10:17 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: OhioCC]

No problem. Based on your posting name, we Ohioans have to watch out for each other, right? What part of Ohio?

#192448 - 11/06/15 10:39 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OhioCC Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
No problem. Based on your posting name, we Ohioans have to watch out for each other, right? What part of Ohio?

That's right! I'm in Cincinnati. Where are you located?

#192449 - 11/07/15 12:12 AM Re: Backpacks [Re: bluefish]
OhioCC Offline

yes, and I'm not sure if I would take a backpack that big to camp in my backyard. Obviously this was not his girlfriend as she had her own tent on the other side of the yard. Maybe he snores?

Edited by OhioCC (11/07/15 12:14 AM)

#192453 - 11/07/15 02:21 AM Re: Backpacks [Re: OhioCC]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
It's not a bad looking pack for $30, but I agree with aimless. Use your external frame pack a few times first and save the money. That one might not offer you any real benefits over your old pack and might not be as good.

I think it'd be better if you got out a few times to find out what what you want and need. Could be you need a pack that big, but could be you don't and a smaller pack can be better.

If you didn't already have a pack I'd say go for it and get out there, (and let us know how it worked for you) but since you do, I think there are a few things you might want to update instead if you haven't already.

I think you can get a Sawyer Mini water filter for around $30. And a decent LED headlamp (or two) would be another thing I'd get.

And sleeping pads have sure come a long way since the `80s. They're not "cheap" but they are a sooo much lighter and better now that it's actually pretty amazing. That's probably the thing that buck for buck will make the biggest difference in how comfortable you are on your trips, especially if you're not as young as you used to be.

"You want to go where?"

#192455 - 11/07/15 08:05 AM Re: Backpacks [Re: OhioCC]

Dayton - just a short hike away. smile
I'll send you a private message (PM); you'll see a flashing icon in the lower tool bar above, I think.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum