Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192148 - 10/03/15 06:02 PM Cleaning your pot after using an Esbit stove.
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I have been using a DIY esbit stove/pot sand combination on my last couple of trips and I like the idea. It is lightweight, cooks well (a little slow, but I'm not in a hurry). The only rub is that I get this very sticky black residue on the bottom of my pot. Yuk! I'm not particularly fastidious, but it is hard to get off short of using gasoline as a solvent. Any body have a good way to prevent this problem or an easy way to clean the pot?
I'm considering going back to my MSR WindPro canister stove for the winter.

#192150 - 10/04/15 08:20 AM Re: Cleaning your pot after using an Esbit stove. [Re: Jim M]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I've been using Esbit for years and have not noticed enough suet to be concerned. It just wipes off, a little discoloration left behind but I don't care. Have you experimented with pot height from the fuel tab? Sounds like it might be too close.
Regardless, a little sand/dirt scrub will clean your pots in the field.
Wood fires leave a black residue as well. I just wipe/scrub it off with whatever leaves/dirt/sand/gravel is around me and pack it up.

#192152 - 10/04/15 02:14 PM Re: Cleaning your pot after using an Esbit stove. [Re: Jim M]
David205 Offline

Loc: Colorado
When I was a kid we would rub the bottom of the pans with a bar of soap before cooking in them and it made the pans easier to clean after cooking over a camp fire.

Edited by David205 (10/04/15 02:15 PM)

#192153 - 10/04/15 02:15 PM Re: Cleaning your pot after using an Esbit stove. [Re: David205]
Jim M Offline

Good Idea. I used to do that too when I was young, but I'm so old now I forgot about that. Thnks, Jim

#192156 - 10/04/15 02:36 PM Re: Cleaning your pot after using an Esbit stove. [Re: Jim M]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Yeah, but back then we had to make the soap first. smile

#192158 - 10/04/15 04:33 PM Re: Cleaning your pot after using an Esbit stove. [Re: Dryer]
Jim M Offline

Yes, well I may not have told the complete story now that you say that.
I also, on the same trips, used another solid fuel that is made as a fire starter for charcoal made by Weber. It works pretty good and is cheap, but now I'm thinking perhaps it is the culprit.
thanks, Jim KE7IXM

#192159 - 10/04/15 08:28 PM Re: Cleaning your pot after using an Esbit stove. [Re: Jim M]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
A-HA! smile

Anyhoo, you might play with various solvents to see whether one might dissolve the goo. Alcohol, white gas, paint thinner, whatever you may have around the house.

I don't use Esbit but after my rare cooking over fire trips I like a clean pot exterior, partly aesthetic partly not wanting to muck up other things in the pack.

Cheers,

#192161 - 10/04/15 10:47 PM Re: Cleaning your pot after using an Esbit stove. [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The bar of soap applied in advance works pretty well with wood smoke residue. However, since soap (even the so-called biodegradable kind) is toxic to aquatic life, using the soap bar means you can't use your pot for dipping water, something which I do frequently.

I keep my pot in a silnylon stuff sack. That's partly so if I have to use it on a fire, the soot stays inside the stuff sack and doesn't get all over my pack. The stuff sack also keeps the lid on the pot, useful when packing items inside the pot.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/04/15 10:49 PM)

#192176 - 10/06/15 10:04 AM Re: Cleaning your pot after using an Esbit stove. [Re: Jim M]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Jim,

I use esbit regularly, and yes, I get a bit of soot. But like OM, I use a very lightweight bag and usually don't worry about it. But I also carry a small square of the plastic pot scrubber material (maybe 2" or less) and that takes it off when it starts to bother me. Remember that a black pot bottom also spreads heat better!

best, jcp

#192187 - 10/07/15 04:18 PM Re: Cleaning your pot after using an Esbit stove. [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Yeah, but back then we had to make the soap first. smile

My brother made me soap his pot once before he went on an overnight camping trip. I soaped the inside. Lucky I could outrun him. Did you wonder why the younger brother always runs faster than the older brother?

#192193 - 10/08/15 07:06 AM Re: Cleaning your pot after using an Esbit stove. [Re: Gershon]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Funny story!

Did he ever ask you to touch his cooking gear again???

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum