Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187726 - 11/16/14 11:05 PM pls help me choose a solo tent
shua Offline

Loc: North Dakota
Hello I am obviously new to the forum, but have been lurking for some time and am familiar with backpacking as I have been doing it for 8yrs now. Being lightweight has become important to me just recently because I am solo hiking mostly now that the military has re located me away from my hiking amigos (no more load sharing). So after much research I just want some opinions from those who may be more experianced than me (that's you) with these tents and of course other options are welcome... I will try and be a good new guy and answer all questions on the sticky for gear to.
1.8 yrs hiking/backpacking.
2.lightweight dependable solo tent.
3.I hike further north thus far in us. I'm from Washington and home around st Helens and my Rainer a lot this summer will be visiting both glacier nat forest and black bills national park as well.
4. I only need 3 season hike mostly June to September
5. 150 max budget but closer to 100 is preferred.
6. Most important is no condensation and lightweight to me.
7. I am 26 yes old.
8. I don't want a hammock or to make tarp shelters or bivy.

Ok now that I got that all out of the way this is what has caught my eye thus far

Six moon design skyscape scout
Eureka spitfire
ALPS mountaineering mystique 1.0
Sierra designs light year 1
Kelty grand messa 2 (not a solo I know)
Again other suggestions are more than welcome and thanks for any and all help.

#187735 - 11/17/14 11:29 AM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: shua]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
A friend of mine has the Grand Mesa 2. Neither one of us are experienced backpackers, but I'm sure he'd be willing to answer any questions he can.

#187744 - 11/17/14 10:17 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: 4evrplan]
shua Offline

Thanks I guess really I just would like to know how durable and waterproof it seems mostly

#187749 - 11/18/14 02:15 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: shua]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I think he's only camped in it once or twice, so way too soon to say anything about durability, but it passed the water hose test, and it sprinkled most of the night he slept in it and kept him dry. Of course, it's roomy for one person, but cramped for two.

#187751 - 11/18/14 03:50 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: 4evrplan]
shua Offline

This is true as far as sizeing goes I suppose I could use it to keep my bag in overnight as well... Thanks for the help it may end up being what I get

#187755 - 11/18/14 07:43 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: shua]
SC Forester Offline

Loc: SC
I have a grand mesa 2. I take it when the wife will go with me. It is a solid tent but it would make for a very heavy solo tent. A friend, I hike with, has the split fire 1 and likes it. It seems to be a good tent that is light"ish" and for a good price. He has stayed dry when it was raining condensation in my tent. Might be a little short if your over 6 feet tall. I hike with a tarp tent contrail.

#187757 - 11/18/14 08:41 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: SC Forester]
shua Offline

Thanks that is very helpful as it was one of my from runners... I have a 3,man I use when my wife goes with me but its really heavy and I have gotten sick of carrying it on long trips

#187758 - 11/18/14 10:16 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: shua]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Hate to be the pessimist, but you are not going to get a good quality light weight solo tent for $150 or less, unless you find an unusually good sale. A tent is a key piece of equipment. Why limit the cost to that low? Is there any way you can save some dollars and extend your budget to $200-250? Just think like this. One beer (even if purchased in a 6-pack) is $1. In 365 days you can have $365 tent. At $4 per gallon and say you get 30 mpg- drive 60 less miles a week for $8. In 10 weeks, about 2 months, you have $80.

I would first look at ALL tents. And by light weight - you need to define (set a limit) on what for you would be light weight. Some of us would say 2 pounds. If you are currently carrying an 8-pound tent, maybe your limit is 4 pounds. Also, for a lot of people, most "2-man" tents are really only 1-person tents. Pick the better ones that meet your criteria, and then scour the internet for sales and wait if needed. And pinch pennies. I would never set a price limit up front.

A lot of light weight tents are single wall tents. If condensation is a big issue, I would first see if you can find a double wall tent that fits your needs. Listen more to what people who backpack in your area use. What works for me in the drier Sierra may not work for you.

#187763 - 11/18/14 11:06 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: wandering_daisy]
shua Offline

This is not intended to he my forever tent by any means. Its just what I can afford by next spring along with other gear I am trying to obtain. ( i am a weird 26yr old who saves most of his income for retirement only giving myself 60,dollars a month to buy and gear for backpacking fishing and huting,or video games I want.) I am hoping that over the course of time like 2,springs from now to get something along the lines of big Agnes copper spur ul1. I am not a big guy and don't use a tent except for sleep. At 5'9 it does not take much tent to be comfortable for me. Being that I do save this well though I should be able to retire fully in 14 yes and become a full time hiker/ fisher smile

#187764 - 11/18/14 11:12 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: shua]
shua Offline

Oh also forgot to say I'm thinking I really want a sub 4 pound tent, as I have been using 8.8lb one thus far it will still feel like a feather to me

#187768 - 11/19/14 09:58 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: shua]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
So, in 2 years, when you get your Copper Spur, you'll have spent $520 for a $370 tent: the 150 now, plus the 370 later (assuming no price increases in the next two years.)

Seems to me like you might be better off taking a one-time hit to the retirement account and getting the better tent now. It will last longer, and you'll have a much higher enjoyment level in the meantime. That's an intangible, but very real, return on your investment.

I'm not trying to criticize your saving habit; it's all too rare these days. I just wanted to offer a different perspective.

#187772 - 11/20/14 06:53 AM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I'd suggest not touching retirement savings. That $150 will grow to over $10,000 in 40 years. With that $10,000 you might be able to buy a tent.

#187777 - 11/20/14 06:23 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: Gershon]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
As a general rule, I'd agree. However, this case sounds like much higher than normal levels of savings. In the long run, yes, you would have a much bigger amount to spend. But, as a well-known economist once observed, "In the long run, we're all dead."

As with everything else, moderation is always a valid consideration. If backpacking is merely one in a wide range of hobbies, then it may not be worth the one-time diversion of possible savings into current consumption. (Big emphasis on "one-time"!) But, if the poster has no other significant vices (like a boat, a bottle, or a blonde), and backpacking is the only hobby that matters, and he/she goes out 15 or 20 times a year - then the non-monetary pleasure of having a better tent now may be "worth" more than the extra pile of cash later.

#187778 - 11/20/14 08:25 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: shua]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I don't think the solution is buying a cheaper tent as it's an essential piece of equipment. Perhaps the solution is delaying the purchase of some of the other gear you want to buy.

For instance, it's easy to spend too much money on clothes. It's also easy to spend money for things you don't need to bring with you.

It sounds like you have a plan for your dream gear. Maybe you could post it and people could suggest alternatives.

#187780 - 11/20/14 09:43 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: Gershon]
shua Offline

I really do appreciatene all the help. Just any FYI the tent even when I do upgrade will be used as a loaner for when friends go on hikes with me or need to borrow a backpacking tent in general. I currently have a few bags I do this with including ruck sacks I got free that were previously used, one Abu and one multicam one and an old jansport external frame.

I do not so much have a dream gear list just some gear I currently have and want to get I guess its not super organized really.
Bag-kelty trekker 65, say what you want about external frames but i love them and this bag.
-jet boil
As far as some things I need to upgrade, obviously the tent
Maybe the sleeping bag I currently use a ledgesport featherlite rated for 0 and its overkill. May be able to lose some lbs on that item to but haven't started researching that yet, (mine has a 3.8lb pack weight.
I am currently really leaning toward the spitfire but my mind is far from made up

#187790 - 11/22/14 08:13 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: shua]
Jimmy Offline

Loc: Central, AR
I use a Eureka Spitfire 2. Bought it with intentions of upgrading later, but have yet to find anything that really makes me want to. With one person, you have more room than you'll ever need. IMO the extra room over the Spitfire 1 is worth the extra weight. There is room for 2 large pads / bags plus 2 packs along with doors on each side, in case there's ever a chance you have someone with you. When car camping, I can use a twin sized coleman air mattress in it for extra comfort. At a tad over 4 pounds it is heavier than a lot of tents, but as I said before, I'll take the weight penalty for the comfort. It's also very durable and I've never had a problem with water leaking. Sunnysports has them for 138.00 right now.

Edited by Jimmy (11/23/14 01:17 AM)

#187792 - 11/23/14 12:33 AM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: Jimmy]
Minx Offline

It looks like a cool tent. I just purchased an REI Dash 2 and really like it for a double wall 2p tent. You might want to take a look at it. You could shed about 1.5 lb and still have the room inside you have with the Spitfire. Take a look at at my review and modification at www.raisedbyraccoons.blogspot.com and see if its something that would work. I've got it at just under 3 lbs with footprint, mod and all. Double doors and vestibules is a nice feature.

#187794 - 11/23/14 02:43 AM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: Minx]
Jimmy Offline

Loc: Central, AR
That's a good review and thanks for recommending it. Not sure it'd be worth the price to me (if weight was a primary factor it might be) but I'll be in a town with an REI next week, so I'll check one out in person. The major differences I see are

1. Space. The spitfire 2 has more space inside tent but when you consider the vestibules on the dash, it has a tad more space overall since the spitfire 2 has no vestibule (spitfire 1 does). This is a pro and a con. I really like being able to have everything inside the tent and not having to worry about critters or wet ground & splashing rain. On the other hand, I would like a vestibule when it's muddy so I could leave my shoes outside, but from looking at the pics, you would definitely need the mod you did on the dash.

2. Weight. The 1.5lb weight reduction would be nice, but the Spitfire gets it's weight from the more durable materials. Like you said in your review, you'd need to be a little more picky about your site selection using the Dash.

3. Price. Dash is more than twice the price of the spitfire unless you find it discounted.

What do you think about your bushnell solar charger? I've been using a charger that uses AA's. It weighs 3.1oz, but it has a micro USB cord that's made into it. It works for charging my phone, but my MP3 uses a mini USB so I can't recharge it and I run it dead more than I do my phone.

#187924 - 12/07/14 11:10 AM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: shua]
RedSoxFan Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Northface stormbreak 1 works for me.

I have a northface terra 50 pack,
Northface lynx summer bag also.

all three weigh 10 lbs. Not ultralight, but lightweight.
I get 5-7 nights with this setup.

#187942 - 12/08/14 04:26 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: shua]
Kraig Offline

I use a Cabela's XPG Dash Solo that is running about $149 but you can find them on sale many times throughout the year at $129.
I find it to be a quality tent that stands up to some serious weather. It is not the lightest tent but it works well.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Tents-Shelters/Backpacking-Expedition-Tents%7C/pc/104795280/c/104779080/sc/104303880/Cabelas-Dash-Solo-Tent/1571890.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fbackpacking-expedition-tents%2F_%2FN-1100670%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104303880%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104796180%253Bcat104779080&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104796180%3Bcat104779080%3Bcat104303880

I would also recommend you check out the Eureka Amari Pass. It is a little roomer as it is a two man tent and it is a little lighter than the one man Cabela's XPG Dash Solo Tent with material numbers just as good as any.
At the price of only $139 I would jump on this if I had the extra money.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Tents-Shelters/Backpacking-Expedition-Tents%7C/pc/104795280/c/104779080/sc/104303880/Eurekareg-Amari-Pass-Two-Person-Tent/1494136.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fbackpacking-expedition-tents%2F_%2FN-1100670%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104303880%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104796180%253Bcat104779080&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104796180%3Bcat104779080%3Bcat104303880

You may think I am joking on this suggestion but I am not. It is not a lite tent but if you repackage it and get better stakes I consider it a ok tent for local one or two day hikes. Also if you are going to be loaning it out to friends you will not get mad when they do not return it.
I did some extensive testing on this tent and it with stood a week of extremely cold temps in rain and lite ice. I came out the other side as a winner. For less than $30 and free delivery to your local Wal-Mart it can not be beat.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-7-x-5-Hiker-Tent-Sleeps-1-2/22659694

Edited by Kraig (12/08/14 04:30 PM)

#187955 - 12/10/14 09:08 AM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: Kraig]
BradMT Offline

I have to agree, you're not going to find a quality tent for $150... however, don't be afraid to buy used. Keep an eye out on Craig's list, ebay, geartrade, etc. Watch for a good online sale.

I've got a variety of 1-man tents... I prefer the MSR Hubba HP, but I saw the standard Hubba on closeout last year for as little as $100.

Also have to comment on the condensation thing... all solo tents will collect condensation depending on the conditions. For instance, I have a BA Copper Spur UL1 and it collects condensation nearly the same as my smaller, less vented Hubba HP's... condensation is a reality in small tent, but can be mitigated or eliminated... depending. Mostly...

PS, my Copper Spur UL1 has been used non 1 trip, 2 nights. I'll sell it to you for $250 shipped, and includes a Tyvek ground sheet.

I can forward pics if you need them.

That's about as good a deal as you'll find... let me know. You can even use PayPal if you wish.

Brad

#187959 - 12/10/14 12:13 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: Kraig]
GNPjason Offline

Loc: LV, NV
I use an Easton Kilo 2. It weighs in at 2 lbs - 3 oz (trail weight). I was lucky and picked it up from backcountry.com on a clearance sale for $150. I have used this tent several times on backcountry trips and so far I am very impressed with it. It is the perfect size for my 11 year old son and myself.

Good luck! I hope you find the perfect tent.

#187993 - 12/11/14 08:56 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: shua]
shua Offline

I understand I wont find the perfect tent, for some used tents are an option however at my location in North Dakota where I currently have to live nobody does any camping except car camping. So you really can't find any used gear around hear or stores that sell hiking gear so I'm really relying on the Internet to find my tent.

As far as the Ozark trails one goes that what I been packing around except the 3 man one that's not a light tent it is quite reliable though.

I looked at the storm break but I am not much of a north face fan in my opinion they are only good for overpriced fleece sweatshirts, but I've never used one of their tents so I really can't be sure about the quality of that.

I keep on looking at sixmoon designs but I really like the look of the scout, but I don't use trekking poles so there is really no point to that for me.

I still have not made my purchase and am keeping my eye out for sales on the tents I have been looking at right now,but will still keep my options open

Edited by shua (12/11/14 09:03 PM)

#187995 - 12/11/14 10:05 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: shua]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The trekking pole supported tent manufacturers all provide poles (for a few dollars and a couple of ounces extra) for those who don't use trekking poles. Those of us trekking pole users who occasionally basecamp and dayhike have a similar problem. Either we dayhike without the trekking poles (no good for me; I must have them for balance issues), carry the tent poles or spend a lot of time searching for a suitable stick to hold up the tent! As I get older, I do more and more of the base camp style of backpacking, so I'll have to get the extra tent poles, too!

#187997 - 12/11/14 10:50 PM Re: pls help me choose a solo tent [Re: OregonMouse]
shua Offline

Thanks for clarifying that Oregon mouse some reason I did not realize that was the case

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum