Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186559 - 08/13/14 11:44 AM New to the forum/time for new pack...
bonedaddy2 Offline

Currently have vapor trail, getting a little long in the tooth
Am an AT section hiker and would like capability to carry just a little more food
maybe extra gear too as kids begin to backpack
I usually hike 5-7 days, load usually 25-35 total.
Have narrowed down to granite gear vc (new vapor trail), ULA catalyst,
and exos 58.
I am a lightweight hiker but dont consider myself anywhere near an ultra.
Any advise,opinions appreciated.
Thanks alot guys.

#186763 - 08/24/14 12:12 AM Re: New to the forum/time for new pack... [Re: bonedaddy2]
jasonlivy Offline

Loc: Colorado
I really like Granite Gear packs and use them exclusively. Full disclosure I am also the Granite Gear rep in the Rockies, but that doesn't mean that I have to use any of the gear I sell in my free time. However I've carried almost every pack out there and Granite Gear has always been the best fit for me.

That brings me to my first point. You should buy what fits you best. Fit should be the overriding qualifier. And just like footwear, not all packs fit the same. I would try them on with weight correctly distributed before buying.

Having said that I am a huge believer in the waist belt. I am not a fan of dye-cut foam or waist belts that are flimsy, even if you are only carrying up to 35lbs. I am also not a fan of big lumbar pads. I properly engineered pack should distribute the weight amongst the entire back panel, not just the lumbar pad. Granite Gear does that better than anyone in my opinion.

I also want a pack that is durable. I don't really care how it looks on the hook or the wall in the store. Screen printing is a turn-off for me, but unfortunately I am seeing more and more of it as new pack designs come out. I'm even hearing that some pack companies are touting screen printing as 'performance enhancers'. Ridiculous! Screen printing serves one purpose and that is to con the buyer into buying a pack based on shelf appeal, nothing more. I look at it as an added expense that is passed on to the buyer. What I appreciate about Granite Gear is that they don't screen print at all but instead invest in quality components like Cordura materials throughout and the best zippers, buckles, webbing, foam, etc. This is where their money goes, not screen printing.

Ok, I'm off my soap box. As far as a pack goes for you, I would recommend the Granite Gear Leopard VC (Vapor Current) 46. It was designed in large part by Justin Lichter (trail name: Trauma) who traversed the entire Himalayan Range (around 3,500 miles) with a similar pack. I've personally used it recently on a 60 mile, 7 day backpack trip through the Maze District of Canyonlands. It has a similar back panel when compared to the Crown VC 60 (next generation of the Vapor Trail), but has a removable top lid and is made to be more durable. It weighs in at 2lbs, 12ozs but can be made lighter by removing the plastic frame sheet and top lid. I believe the tradeoffs are worth it as it is more durable than the Crown 60. It's one of my favorite packs from Granite Gear.

Another pack to consider is the Granite Gear Leopard AC 58. This pack's suspension won it an Editor's Choice Award from Backpacker Magazine (the Blaze pack one in 2011 that uses the exact same suspension). This pack came out in 2012 and is very similar to the Leopard VC 46. The only real difference is the weight of the pack and the carrying capacity and capabilities (it is larger and can handle more weight). This pack comes in at 3lbs, 1oz. and is one of the most comfortable packs I've carried. The thing to remember is that you can always make a large pack smaller, but a small pack is impossible to make larger.

And if you want something even larger, I can't help but recommend the Granite Gear Nimbus Access Trace 70L. It is 70 liters but light for it's size (4lbs, 2oz). I've carried this a number of times and have been very impressed. It uses as it's suspension a maple wood back panel (encased in fiberglass for waterproofness) that can handle upwards of 70lbs if needed. It has a removable top lid that converts to a very capable fanny pack, has a roll-top closure, has an ingenious panel load with internal compression straps making it one of the easiest packs to load, and is super durable. It won Outside Magazines 'Gear of the Year' Award for 2014 in the pack category.

Again, fit is the main attribute your looking for. If Granite Gear packs fit, these are the best of the bunch.

#186784 - 08/25/14 09:32 AM Re: New to the forum/time for new pack... [Re: jasonlivy]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Hey, Jason is back!

#186804 - 08/25/14 05:56 PM Re: New to the forum/time for new pack... [Re: finallyME]
bluefish Offline

I have a Granite Gear Blaze 60 that I added a lid to. The lid fits well and is an excellent addition. 3 lbs. 8oz. with the lid. Carries my Garcia bear can easily, and I keep my tent outside in the center stretch sleeve, It's taken a beating and is still good for many, many more miles. If I have to replace/ upgrade, I'll probably go with one of the models Jason mentioned.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum