Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184054 - 03/24/14 08:50 PM OPSak
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Anyone uses these? I know a lot of you guys are required to carry a canister, but us folks on the east coast are still exempted, for the most part. I was wondering if these bags can reduce the range in which bears can smell the food? It seem pointless to me if you're going to cook at the campsite because, well, bear going sniff you out 20 some miles away if he downrange. In the Smokies we got bear cables, but in primitive wilderness of Western Carolina, such amenity don't exist. So, I thought those sack can help reduce other critters from climbing on my ropes, and reduce the range in which the bear can sniff it out if it hanging up on a limb. Thoughts?

#184055 - 03/24/14 09:08 PM Re: OPSak [Re: ETSU Pride]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Have used them and they seem relatively effective, certainly better than Ziplock bags, but find the closures not up to the task because they delaminate after a few uses.

Maybe they've improved? I gave up several years back.

Cheers,

#184060 - 03/24/14 10:34 PM Re: OPSak [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Agree about the closures ripping apart after a few uses.

BPL had a study using police dogs who picked out the lockers containing drugs stored in OP sacks every time. However, when I tested my late dog using dry dog dog food in freezer bags (even I could smell the dog food through the freezer bags) vs. OP sacks, the dog ignored the OP sacks and went for the freezer bags. Of course my dog was not trained to sniff out drugs, although he was highly enthusiastic about dog kibble! Bears and mice have a more powerful sense of smell than dogs, too.

Some think these are better, or at least more durable and less pricey: Nylo-barrier odorproof bags. I haven't tried them yet, because I still have a bunch of OP sacks left. When their closures give up the ghost, I'll try these others. However, I use them inside my Ursack.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/24/14 10:40 PM)

#184063 - 03/24/14 10:55 PM Re: OPSak [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I imagine they work in the lab.

I doubt they matter in the field. Bears are not sharks, and there's probably more food smell on my beard after dinner than what would come out of an (admittedly imperfect) ziploc freezer bag.

With properly stored (hung, canistered, ursack'ed) food I doubt they would matter. For improperly stored food, it ain't going to help. By the time the bear is close enough to smell the difference, they're going to be curious enough anyway to try it out if they can get at it.

Just my two cents. FWIW, my food is normally in an ursack these days, in sealed ziplocs. I put my (aluminum) pot lid on top to keep rodents out of the end hole. never lost food that way, and I have had a bear chew on it some once.(and run off I yelled at it). I normally keep my ursack tied as per the instructions to a tree.. that might be an option for you if you don't like the weight of a canister.

Edited by phat (03/24/14 10:59 PM)
Browse my pictures

#184078 - 03/25/14 07:45 PM Re: OPSak [Re: phat]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Thanks for the inputs, you guys.

#184090 - 03/26/14 08:42 AM Re: OPSak [Re: phat]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Do you put your pot lid on the inside or outside of your Ursack?

#184091 - 03/26/14 09:18 AM Re: OPSak [Re: ndsol]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Inside - just at the top, so when I cinch down the closure the only thing you can get to is aluminum.- often I just put the whole pot in the top - same effect. while you probably *can* cinch the ursack opening closed enough to keep mice out, I don't trust myself to do it to keep the little buggers out - and I have had mice crawl in the hole before I learned to do that.

Note that in theory the ursack is not rodent proof - so I imagine R.O.U.S's with sharp teeth can chew through it - people sell different stuff for that, having said that, I've taken it all over the world and never had probelms with them chewing through it - and I've been in some pretty crittery spots.

Edited by phat (03/26/14 09:21 AM)
Browse my pictures

#184102 - 03/26/14 01:58 PM Re: OPSak [Re: phat]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Have never had anything come after my Ursack so no idea how long it would stand up to persistent little chewing things, but I definitely have seen photos of Ursacks where they simply drilled their way in, through the fabric.

For places like the Grand Canyon where it's a known issue, I'd want a metal mesh storage system, but for the casual explorer mouse, metal behind the top opening sounds prudent to me. Even a small piece of aluminum flashing would do the trick.

Cheers,

#184173 - 03/29/14 10:58 PM Re: OPSak [Re: phat]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
If I recall correctly, Ursack said not to put anything hard sided in the bag as it gave bears leverage. But I guess everything has its tradeoffs.

#184184 - 03/30/14 06:19 PM Re: OPSak [Re: ndsol]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I guess what I should have said was that the OP Sacks definitely did keep my dog from getting into his pack after his food. Whether they would have kept trained drug-sniffing dogs or bears away is problematic, especially in view of the BPL article mentioned.

Urscack does recommend using OP Sacks inside the bag so there is less odor wafting out to the neighborhood.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum