Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181651 - 01/02/14 01:15 AM Old fashioned PU-coated rain pants
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I am looking around to see if I can find a source for basic rain pants made with non-breathable, polyurethane coated ripstop nylon, or a similar fabric with a similar coating that is designed to be very waterproof, but not especially breathable.

Here in the Pacific Northwest rain pants are not really optional for hiking much of the year. I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to my legs, there just isn't much necessity for breathability, but waterproofness is paramount when I am wading through wet ferns or bushes overhanging the trail. Good breathable fabrics are very expensive. Cheap breathable fabrics start letting water in before too long. I don't care for either of those options.

By the same token, I don't need full length zippers, or reflective piping / patches, pretty colors or a lot of styling, or fancy articulations -- just a pair of stove-pipe-legged rain pants, with maybe a front pocket or two that can be zipped shut. The lighter weight, the better. grin

Anyone else out there have some recommendations along these lines? Even CampMor seems to have moved on from their house brand of PU-coated rainwear and are just trying to get rid of their remaining stock of Small or XXL sizes at reduced prices.

Thanks in advance! thanks

#181652 - 01/02/14 07:35 AM Re: Old fashioned PU-coated rain pants [Re: aimless]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
If you sew, they are really easy to make. You can get PU coated rip stop from The Rain Shed in Corvallis together with seam sealer. You can get a pattern for wind/rain pants from Green Pepper in Eugene IIRC. The actual sewing is super easy.

#181654 - 01/02/14 09:50 AM Re: Old fashioned PU-coated rain pants [Re: aimless]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I think walmart has nylon rain suits.

#181657 - 01/02/14 01:22 PM Re: Old fashioned PU-coated rain pants [Re: aimless]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Check commercial fishing gear suppliers--they have all sorts of bombproof raingear and you're in the right part of the country for that stuff.

Cheers,

#181659 - 01/02/14 01:56 PM Re: Old fashioned PU-coated rain pants [Re: Pika]
aimless Online   content

Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into fishing supply outlets first and if that fails me I'll check out Voldemort, uh, WalMart.

If I were a spiff hand at the sewing machine this obviously would be a great project for me, but hand sewing is as far as I've ever progressed in that skill set, so my sewing projects stay very small and very poorly executed. frown

#181662 - 01/02/14 02:57 PM Re: Old fashioned PU-coated rain pants [Re: aimless]
llamero Offline

Loc: western Oregon
Aimless, I came to the same conclusion years ago. I got my last combination of rain gear at Costco.

#181684 - 01/03/14 11:35 PM Re: Old fashioned PU-coated rain pants [Re: llamero]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I have a pair of silnylon rain pants that work just fine after seam sealing. They are a lot lighter than the PU coated variety. Unfortunately, nobody seems to make them any more (I have one of the last pair made by Brawny Gear). I've used them for winter yard work, like hedge trimming, as well as for 3-season hiking and they are amazingly sturdy. With a couple yards of Thru-Hiker's silnylon, you can sew your own.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/03/14 11:36 PM)

#181694 - 01/04/14 02:04 PM Re: Old fashioned PU-coated rain pants [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

Thanks, OM. I looked into silnylon rain pants and discovered a new cottage manufacturer called Luke's Ultralites (to be found at lukesultralites.com, naturally) who just started up quite recently and offers a silnylon rain pants that look quite reasonable. I'm considering going that way now.

#181695 - 01/04/14 02:59 PM Re: Old fashioned PU-coated rain pants [Re: aimless]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
LL Bean has Trail Model Rain Pants that only claim to be waterproof, not WB. Sierra Designs and Columbia used to make PU pants, too; don't know if they still do.

#181696 - 01/04/14 03:08 PM Re: Old fashioned PU-coated rain pants [Re: Glenn Roberts]
aimless Online   content

I just popped over to the LL Bean website, but the extended description for the Trail Model rain pants very clearly identified the fabric as breathable. frown

Thanks for the suggestion, though. smile

#181722 - 01/06/14 11:16 AM Re: Old fashioned PU-coated rain pants [Re: aimless]
Slowfoot Offline

Loc: Missouri
The Outdoor Research Rampart pants might work if you can find them. The Rampart/Palisade line does not claim to be breathable. I have the jacket but not the pants.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum