Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175575 - 03/05/13 05:16 PM How much pack is too much pack?
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
We've probably covered this ground indirectly in other posts, but just for fun, let's kick around the question of whether you can carry too much pack.

Just to get things started, my basic load of summer gear, excluding the pack, is about 11 or 12 pounds. Adding a couple pounds of food, a quart of water, and a fuel canister brings me to about 15 or 16 for a summer weekend (add 2 pounds of winter clothes, and I'm at 17 or 18.) I could probably get by using something like the Granite Gear Virga, but I prefer my Deuter ACT Zero. It's two pounds heavier than a frameless pack, but it's very comfortable. The weight of that pack brings me to a load of 18 to 22 pounds, depending on season.

So, am I carrying too much pack? Should I ditch it for something lighter? Is it "wrong" to use a pack that is overkill for the loads you carry?

#175577 - 03/05/13 06:06 PM Re: How much pack is too much pack? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You're the one who carries it, so you get to decide. There's nothing "wrong" as long as you are happy with it!

I personally prefer to keep my pack (empty) under 2 lbs. yet I need it to have structure, including stays and load lifters. There are several packs around that meet those criteria, but I get along fine with my Six Moon Designs Comet (bought at the end of 2005, but still holding up just fine). It still feels as though it had been made especially for me. I found out back in 2009 that it will support more weight than I can comfortably carry. At 37 lbs. total pack weight, my shoulders, back and hips were just fine, but my knees and feet were screaming! But that's me, and I can't speak for anyone else! I can't even recommend my pack, since it was discontinued 7 years ago! The one comparable SMD Pack, the Starlite, is far too big in capacity for me--67 liters, while I need no more than 40 even for a 10-day trip.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/05/13 06:09 PM)

#175578 - 03/05/13 06:37 PM Re: How much pack is too much pack? [Re: OregonMouse]

Good point about capacity - there can be overkill there, as well as in the weight of the pack itself. I always liked Granite Gear packs, but eventually drifted away from them because they were just too big, even with the extension sleeve rolled all the way down. One of the things I like about my current pack is that it's 50 liters unextended, but has a nice extension cuff. I always found that too much capacity led to a "floppy" pack.

#175602 - 03/05/13 11:51 PM Re: How much pack is too much pack? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
When I read a thread like this I'm reminded of of the Yukon pack ? ? ?

Mainly because its simply a pack built out of necessity to haul a load! < user b ware

The pack itself can be light by even rafts lightweight standards . But nothing makes it comfy.

Simply to much pack and not enough comfort!

#175606 - 03/06/13 09:56 AM Re: How much pack is too much pack? [Re: Samoset]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
For me it is in the teens for overnight and 20s for weekend trips.

#175607 - 03/06/13 10:14 AM Re: How much pack is too much pack? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Glenn, I've gradually dropped the weight of my gear so that even on very long hikes I'm rarely over about 17 or 18 pounds, and it all fits well in less than forty litres (though I rarely carry more than five or six days of food at a time).

I use a custom MLD burn that (on my back) carries exceptionally well. I actually had 26 pounds in it for a little over a day once and it still carried very well. The pack (with belt pockets) weighs just less than a pound (I took off some bungee cord and hardware I never used). It has no frame, but I wrap my neoair around the inside and it works fine, even at maximum load.

Best, jcp

#175608 - 03/06/13 10:30 AM I like Big Packs [Re: Glenn Roberts]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I like big packs. They make packing way easier and give me the margin of error to add an unexpected item if needed (e.g. bear canister, large glass fish float found on the beach, 5 gallon bucket, firewood, an injured or sick person's gear, etc.

In making my own packs I have found that a large pack can be made that weighs very little more than a small pack. With a frame pack, for example, the frame, waist belt and shoulder straps are about the same for either pack. The volume of a bag can be doubled by only using about 50% more fabric and nylon fabric is very light. So the difference in weight between a large pack and small pack can be as little as an ounce or two.

My very large myog external frame pack, for example, weighs well under 1 pound.

Edited by DJ2 (03/06/13 02:46 PM)

#175609 - 03/06/13 10:42 AM Re: I like Big Packs [Re: DJ2]
lori Offline

I hate big packs.

I put all my gear in, and they sag and require lots of straps to compress the sack down to a not-floppy state.

And when I'm out with a pack of newbies, and they find that they packed too much and have stuff dangling off their packs, and start dragging and sighing that it's too hard, they're tired, etc. - some bright person notes that I have plenty of room in mine!

It's far too easy to put a cheesecake in a big gap in the pack! carefully packaged in something to keep it from being crushed, of course.

But in all seriousness, I believe in load balancing and minimizing bulk, because I have to ruck the thing all over the mountain, through tangles of trees and brush, and get it in a very small helicopter along with someone else, their pack, and maybe even their search dog, some of the time. And those are things I cannot do with a massive pack frame.

There are times you can get away with a pickup truck of a pack, and then there are times you want something smaller. I could not fit a huge pack inside my very light, solo tent for example, with room for me and the rest of the gear - and in Yosemite leaving the pack outside is an invitation to the pack stealing bears.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#175612 - 03/06/13 11:28 AM Re: I like Big Packs [Re: lori]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Clearly the solution is to have more than one pack - a pack for SAR, a load hauler when you need to lug the group's watermelons, an after six pack for formal occasions, etc.

#175613 - 03/06/13 11:48 AM Re: How much pack is too much pack? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
There is a simple way for someone like myself to decide if you are carrying "too much pack".

1) Lift the pack, if you can.
2) Put it on, if you can.
3) Walk up the trail, if you can.

If you fail to complete any of these three actions, I would say you are carrying too much pack. Otherwise, it is a matter of personal judgement and I cannot make that judgement for you. grin

#175614 - 03/06/13 12:13 PM Re: How much pack is too much pack? [Re: Glenn Roberts]

Just ran across a quantification of "how much pack" in Chris Townsend's Backpacker's Handbook (4th edition.) He gives a rule of thumb that your pack shouldn't exceed 10% of your total load.

Applying that to me, it yields about 2 pounds of pack - pretty much what my old Granite Gear Vapor Trail weighed, and it handled 25 pound loads very well. (I let it go, finally, because my gear volume shrunk enough that it was too large and became floppy - and because one of the accompaniments of aging is a slight loss of torso length, which meant the fixed suspension no longer fit.)

FWIW, I'm not looking to change packs; the one I have now is comfortable and just the right size (even if it is a pound too heavy by the above formula.) I just thought this might make an interesting discussion.

#175625 - 03/06/13 06:27 PM Re: How much pack is too much pack? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
LoneStranger Offline

Loc: Maine
I can vouch for the fact that you can carry too much pack. I do it so I know it can be done. smile

I grew up in the days of big rucksacks so modern packs seem small to me visually. Luckily they are very light so carrying a bigger pack than I really need doesn't mean carrying a lot of extra weight. It also means I have room for a surprise cookie for each member of the party which usually goes over well.

#175627 - 03/06/13 06:50 PM Re: How much pack is too much pack? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I don't know where I ran across this one, but I've seen it suggested several times that the "Big 4" (pack, shelter, sleeping bag and pad) should be 50% of base pack weight (that means everything except food, water, fuel). Everything else (except food, fuel, water) should make up the other 50%.

I soon learned that my big problem in weight was not the "Big 4" but the "everything else"! Not only was it several pounds more than my "Big 4," but it was a lot harder to cut weight. Instead of saving a pound or two per item, it was half an ounce here and a tenth of an ounce there.

Depending on number of days, frequency of water sources, weather and how much you eat, the "consumables" of food, fuel and water could easily equal the base pack weight. Maybe more if you are traveling in the desert and hauling a couple of gallons.

Like all "rules," there's a considerable element of HYOH and YMMG (Hike Your Own Hike and Your Mileage May Vary)!

Edited by OregonMouse (03/06/13 06:53 PM)

#175629 - 03/06/13 09:01 PM Re: How much pack is too much pack? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Being the gear head that you are, I had to take a look at the Deuter ACT Zero. That is a nice pack. I can see why you like it.

I'm still getting used to the Osprey 44. It's helped me more than anything to reduce bulk and pack tight. I'm still carrying more weight than you, but I'm pretty darn comfortable and lighter than I've ever been.

"You want to go where?"

#175631 - 03/07/13 07:07 AM Re: How much pack is too much pack? [Re: billstephenson]
LoneStranger Offline

Originally Posted By billstephenson
... I'm still carrying more weight than you, but I'm pretty darn comfortable and lighter than I've ever been.

If you are comfortable and happy then you've done a good job. The actual pounds and ounces are numbers that don't matter nearly as much as happy grin

#175633 - 03/07/13 09:24 AM Re: How much pack is too much pack? [Re: LoneStranger]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By LoneStranger
It also means I have room for a surprise cookie for each member of the party which usually goes over well.

I pass out the "cookies" right before we leave. That way, the group is happy cuz they all got something from me, and I don't have to carry it. smile

#175651 - 03/07/13 02:43 PM Re: How much pack is too much pack? [Re: finallyME]
LoneStranger Offline

Originally Posted By finallyME
Originally Posted By LoneStranger
It also means I have room for a surprise cookie for each member of the party which usually goes over well.

I pass out the "cookies" right before we leave. That way, the group is happy cuz they all got something from me, and I don't have to carry it. smile

I like to hold them in reserve and apply as appropriate. If everyone is grumpy after ten miles of mud a good cookie, somehow not crushed after days in the pack, can magically lift spirits.

On the other hand if everyone is making me grumpy then I just might apply all the cookies to myself. laugh

#175660 - 03/07/13 05:50 PM Re: How much pack is too much pack? [Re: LoneStranger]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Major thread drift here. Oh well...

With my kids(even now that they are "older"), I ALWAYS bring a couple of "secret" desserts along to pull out at strategic moments.

#175685 - 03/09/13 06:55 PM Re: How much pack is too much pack? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
no
Jim

#175812 - 03/17/13 09:30 AM Re: How much pack is too much pack? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Just ran across a quantification of "how much pack" in Chris Townsend's Backpacker's Handbook (4th edition.) He gives a rule of thumb that your pack shouldn't exceed 10% of your total load.

"Rules" like this one are really silly and miss the point... a heavy BUT comfortable pack will be far more comfortable during and after a day of packing than a substantially lighter pack that lacks a decent suspension, even if the overall load is 4lbs lighter.

Not everything translates well to oz's and lb's and a pack is one of them... I cut ounces everywhere, but not when it comes to my pack.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum