Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175517 - 03/03/13 04:35 PM TarpTent Double Rainbow or Stratospire 2
RedMountain Offline

I’m trying to decide between the Double Rainbow and the Stratospire 2. I’d appreciate any guidance users have to offer.

I’m 6’2” tall so headroom is a consideration. I will not always hike with trekking poles. I will use the tent for both solo and double occupancy depending on the trip. I like the versatility of the SS2 (especially the tarp only mode) but I have some questions:

1. If I’m not using trekking poles and carry the optional poles instead, are they equally as strong and sturdy as trekking poles as far as supporting the tent in wind and such?

2. Do you find any significant difference between the DR and the SS2 in their ability to withstand wind and rain?

3. Does the fact the inner mesh tent is not connected to the shell in the SS2 provide a significant advantage with condensation, or does condensation just drip through the mesh?

4. The DR seems to have many more testimonials on the TT website from advanced backpackers. Why do you think that is?

5. Like I said, I’m leaning towards the SS2. The two things I like better about the DR are the semi-freestanding aspect, and that it doesn’t require as large of a footprint to pitch. So really wondering if you’ve found either of those important enough issues to go with the DR over the SS2?

#175519 - 03/03/13 05:46 PM Re: TarpTent Double Rainbow or Stratospire 2 [Re: RedMountain]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
(1) The poles Tarptent sells are standard Easton aluminum poles, but of course they are not as strong as trekking poles. I doubt that any tent poles are! I got the optional poles for a 3-person Rainshadow 2, and it definitely requires two tent poles while it can be used with one trekking pole. (However, it is far more stable with 2 trekking poles than with one!) You might check with Ruta Locura which makes carbon fiber poles which are supposedly stronger than the usual tent pole, although undoubtedly still not as strong as trekking poles. Personally, I won't take a step on any trail without trekking poles, but of course Your Mileage May Vary. An expensive but lightweight and strong solution might to buy the Gossamer Gear telescoping trekking poles (LT4) and remove hand grips and little baskets to make an extremely sturdy tent pole.

(4) The reason you see many more testimonials about the Double Rainbow is simply that it first appeared about 7-8 years ago, while the Stratospire was new last year. It has absolutely nothing to do with the relative merits of either tent, just with the time each model has been around.

You might be able to work out an arrangement with Henry Shires to send you both tents at the same time, and you decide which to keep and which to send back. It just takes a bit of timing around your credit card billing cutoff dates.

That being said, while I own several Tarptents, I don't have either of these specific models. I therefore can't answer the rest of your questions.

I do know that that it's just as important to tie down a free-standing tent as one that is not free-standing. The former have been known to take off quite frequently in windy conditions when not properly staked down! I personally don't pay any attention as to whether or not a tent is free-standing.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum