Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168484 - 08/14/12 09:18 PM Glow Sticks!
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Any one use or Carey one as an emergency back up? If so what brand why and what type of experiene did you have with them.

I just orderd twenty

"Cyalume SnapLight Industrial 12-hour, 6-inch Green glowstick. Catalog number 9-08001"

For mine and my brothers kids! On a six day car camping trip at the end of the month no doubt ill stash a few for something or another!

When they arrive ill undoubtedly let my kids crack two for a initial impression test. I'll let you all know what I think then.

When I was a kid my mother would take my brother and I car camping. We were not allowed to wonder from camp unless we had our glow sticks with us. It's these memories that inspired my. Purchase. Any ways I get to check the mail every day until the arrival!

Edited by Samoset (08/14/12 09:21 PM)

#168486 - 08/14/12 09:56 PM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: Samoset]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Kids love them, and they're reasonably cheap longlasting light for them. I've never carried them backpacking (couldn't figure out how to turn them off when I was ready to go to sleep), but for car camping, they seem like a great idea! My guess: at some point, you and your brother will each have one, and the words "Luke, I am your father" will be spoken. smile

Have a great time.

#168494 - 08/14/12 11:05 PM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: Samoset]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
This is something I'd use for fun rather than backpacking. My backup light for backpacking is one of these little "keychain" LED lights. I keep it on a cord around my neck along with my whistle and compass.

It's bright enough to get around with; some really lightweight backpackers take these as their only light! I prefer a headlamp (Petzl E-lite in summer, Princeton Tec Aurora when the days get short), but there have been several times when this little LED light has saved my bacon, like the time I couldn't find my headlamp because my dog was sleeping on top of it!

#168495 - 08/14/12 11:17 PM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: OregonMouse]

I do the same thing, Mouse: headlamp (PT Scout, has a tab that covers the switch to prevent accidental turn-ons) and a keychain backup (PT Pilot or Pulsar). I find the keychain light handy when I need to change batteries in the headlamp; for some reason, they never need changing during the day, so a bit of light helps make the nighttime change easier.

#168501 - 08/15/12 09:08 AM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: Samoset]
lori Offline

They're fun but not bright enough to be a flashlight when you really need to see where you are going. However, they are useful to dangle from packs when out at night and you want to keep track of other people.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#168505 - 08/15/12 01:14 PM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: lori]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
When we used to carcamp, we found a couple of those solar powered lights worked well to give a little light in the camp. They are a good beacon back to the camp for those who get disoriented in the dark.

One thing fun to do is take a picture in the dark while each kid traces a letter of a name. If you do it quickly, you can get a picture of the name in lights.

Here is a good sample: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1...elevant_count=1

#168507 - 08/15/12 06:19 PM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Samoset Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
My guess: at some point, you and your brother will each have one, and the words "Luke, I am your father" will be spoken. smile

I must admit I may have pre planned some epic light saber battles now I wish I had orderd both green and red colors and the 10" ones.

Edited by Samoset (08/15/12 06:22 PM)

#168508 - 08/15/12 06:35 PM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: lori]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I have found them to be highly undependable. They won't light if the packing is even slightly abraded and worn. Many LED lights are much more dependable, and with very low lumen ratings, are much longer lasting....

#168549 - 08/17/12 05:40 PM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: oldranger]
Samoset Offline

Snap lights arrived today! And my first impressions are that they look exactly like something you would see hanging on the wall of some manufacturing plant somewhere. The box is what I'm refering to not the light itself.

Each light is marked with an expiration date mine 07/17 so I have some time to use them!

It's still a little bright outside now to justify popping one off. So I figure ill wait till the kids are fed and bathed and suprise them with them for a little evening entertainment!

You can expect another post from me before to late tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest wink

Edited by Samoset (08/17/12 05:42 PM)

#168551 - 08/17/12 08:07 PM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: Samoset]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
are we there yet ?

#168557 - 08/18/12 07:16 AM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: Franco]
Samoset Offline

Well one thing is for sure these are not the glowsticks from my childhood they put off and exceptional amount of light for a good number of hours. I was asleep through most of this. Even though there still glowing now a
little over 11 hours latter its not an impressive amount of light but it is some light.

I'll be able to tell you what i really think of them after or trip at the end of the month!

Edited by Samoset (08/18/12 01:57 PM)

#168565 - 08/19/12 09:11 AM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: Samoset]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Those thing have come a long way. Back in the 80's we used cyalumes attached to SCUBA regulators for night diving...bright enough to see people but not too bright.
Now days we use the super tiny "bobber lights" (1" long) taped to the bottom of disc golf discs for night golf. Those things are very bright and you can track your disc through the air and on the ground, easily. I've hung full sized ones from the tops of sailboat masts and on the bows of kayaks. They are absolutely waterproof. Never used them backpacking though....there are lighter, brighter options.
My biggest hangup is they are "disposable" and create trash, so they are a last resort.

#168658 - 08/22/12 11:32 AM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: Samoset]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I use them for backpacking, and any camping with my kids. They usually want some sort of night light on all the time. So, I crack one for each tent for each night. Their piece of mind is worth it to me. Plus, I put them in their backpacks wink . I also use them at halloween to stick on a each kid. Some day I might do a weight comparison and even cost comparison between these and those battery powered glow sticks.

I did find a local store that sells them at 10 for $6, which is cheaper than walmart's 2 for $2.50. Surprisingly, these cheaper ones are also brighter than the walmart ones. And with that, you have to compare brands. Some are very bright, and some not so much. The different colors also determine brightness. The greenish-yellowish ones seem to be the brightest, and the red-blue ones seem dimmer.

Oh yes, I also bring two on each scout campout. The boys use them for flags when they play "capture the flag".

#168678 - 08/22/12 08:50 PM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: Samoset]
prussicnot Offline

Loc: Lynchburg, VA
So just pitch them in a landfill when finished.

#168708 - 08/23/12 10:08 PM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: prussicnot]
Samoset Offline

Originally Posted By prussicnot
So just pitch them in a landfill when finished.

Actually my local recycle center excepted them .

Wouldn't take my burnt out. compact fluorescents a few months back but took the glow sticks " go figure"

Still trying exactly where to dispose of the bulbs as I'm pretty sure they contain mercury. And I'm not just going to toss the out!

#168709 - 08/23/12 10:18 PM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: Samoset]

Would the local fire department take the bulbs? Around here, they take a lot of the hazardous stuff that you aren't supposed to put in landfills.

#168712 - 08/23/12 11:12 PM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Samoset Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Would the local fire department take the bulbs? Around here, they take a lot of the hazardous stuff that you aren't supposed to put in landfills.

You know I'm pretty sure they would! Thanks I have no idea why I didn't think of that. Now I'm still stuck on the debate of weither I should buy more compact fluorescents or standerd incandescent bulbs. and more beeswax candles.

#168713 - 08/24/12 02:45 AM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: Samoset]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Around here we have a toxic waste collection twice a year--for stuff like paint, pesticide containers and, of course, those mercury-containing fluorescent bulbs. The paint gets recycled into "new" paint. I don't know what is done with the fluorescent bulbs, though. One of the problems with the government trying to make us switch from incandescent is the disposal problem!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/24/12 02:46 AM)

#168722 - 08/24/12 12:12 PM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: OregonMouse]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
We have been trying out LED bulbs in our lamps, our problem with them is they don't seem to be as bright (and yeah we are using the recommended if you used 60/100 watt use this bulb) and at least the ones carried locally take a bit to brighten/warm up. Been happiest with halogens - which aren't in the "banned" list.

#168724 - 08/24/12 12:51 PM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: Heather-ak]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Those things were fun when I was a kid hanging out at the local skating rink. cool

#169599 - 09/20/12 11:08 AM Re: Glow Sticks! [Re: ETSU Pride]
Samoset Offline

I figured i would update as I've been using these for a little while now. And I'm over all very impressed if you can get a pack with free shipping they are well worth the money!

Very bright and burn for a long time! Easy to read by and make a great night light for any occasion. I've set a few aside for our next power outage

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum