Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132249 - 04/18/10 12:48 AM What pack to get?
forsciguy Offline

I know this may be a bit early in the game to start thinking about a pack (since I have read your pack is one of the last things you should get after you have most everything else set). But I have (as far as I know) my tent (double rainbow), sleeping bag(mont-bell hugger #1), and sleeping pad (BA ins. air core) figured out and those seem like the biggest things. After reading and following a link to a fancy feast cat burner I think that will be my stove and I will probably pick up clothes as I go.
Anyway, I was wondering what a few good packs would be in the range of $100-150 and as light as possible. I was liking the ULA conduit but it has been really hard to conceptualize how big of a pack I will need based on the few things I have been looking at as well as the clothes and other odds and ends that will need to go in.
I am 5'9" 150lbs and would not really want to pack more than 25lbs so any pack ideas that can fit what I am looking at and not break the bank (most of my $ is going toward the bag and tent) would be welcome.
Thanks

#132250 - 04/18/10 01:35 AM Re: What pack to get? [Re: forsciguy]
frediver Offline

My vote goes to the Gossamer Gear G-4.
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/G4.html

#132251 - 04/18/10 01:40 AM Re: What pack to get? [Re: forsciguy]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Even with what you have listed it is still hard to narrow down packs because A) Pack fit is very indivdual, what works and is comfortable for me, may be hell for you. B) You still do not have all your gear-- clothes can be bulky.

Either way, I would look in the 55-66L range for a first pack with your current gear list. A pack of this size allows for some trial and error and it still has the capacity for week long trips.

Standard advice is to purchase the pack last-- buy the rest of your gear and then find the pack that fits you and your gear-- not the other way around.

FWIW-- the G4 is what I use.

#132253 - 04/18/10 02:42 AM Re: What pack to get? [Re: ChrisFol]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Having two of the ULA packs I can say that their "max" load figure is pretty accurate for me.
However at the max load they are not comfortable enough for me for regular use. By that I mean that I can carry 35lbs in my Circuit but the difference between having that and say 25 lbs is very noticeable.
In fact over about 25lbs, I use another pack.
So I would imagine that to me 25lbs in a Conduit would not be all that much fun.
Keep in mind that I am not into endurance or suffering, when I hike I want to have some fun doing it.
The other point to consider is that if your total standard weight is up to 25lbs, when you need to carry extra water (that could be 4-6 lbs) you may find it difficult to fit it in.
On the other hand, the bigger the pack the more rubbish we fit in..
So I would go with the Circuit. But I am not you.
BTW, since the DR is pretty light, it should fit nicely inside the front pocket or across the top.
Franco

#132255 - 04/18/10 08:19 AM Re: What pack to get? [Re: Franco]
forsciguy Offline

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to read more about the G4 and Circuit. Now to figure out the clothes situation:)

#132260 - 04/18/10 10:14 AM Re: What pack to get? [Re: forsciguy]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
With your apparent desire to go as light as possible, check out the Granite Gear Virga - just over a pound, about $110, and great shoulder straps and lifter tabs. I've used it in the summer a lot, and really liked it. The only reason I gave up on it was I couldn't keep my cold weather load below 25 pounds, and didn't want to keep switching between packs.

#132261 - 04/18/10 10:28 AM Re: What pack to get? [Re: Glenn]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I am going to offer a somewhat different perspective. I don't use an ultralight pack. Mine weighs in a bit over three pounts--but it also doesn't come with a warning. Most of the ultralights will clearly admit that these packs are made of very lightweight materials, and will not stand up to abuse.

I'm not saying I abuse my pack, but if I want to put it down on some granite, I don't want to have to think about it.

I'll end this by asking a question: for those of you who use very light packs---how many miles/seasons do you get out of them? And do you feel that you have to "coddle" them in any way on the trip?

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#132267 - 04/18/10 12:46 PM Re: What pack to get? [Re: balzaccom]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By balzaccom

I'm not saying I abuse my pack, but if I want to put it down on some granite, I don't want to have to think about it.

I'll end this by asking a question: for those of you who use very light packs---how many miles/seasons do you get out of them? And do you feel that you have to "coddle" them in any way on the trip?

It is a common misconception that UL equipment is less durable. The G4 which I use is made of 70D ripstop nylon; the same stuff that most tent floors are made out of. The point being is that if you can look after your tent, then you should be able to look after a backpack. I mean, lets face it, who goes throwing their gear on the floor anyway? I know that I "place" my stuff on the ground-- my G4 has seen two thru-hikes of the CT, as well as countless other backpacking trips and shows no signs of wear. Either-way 70D ripstop can withstand quite a bit of abrasion, but again, I won't be dragging my pack down the trail anytime soon either. smirk

The other reason that tradional packs are heavier is not just down to the material, but due to all the exessive additions such as multiple pockets, zippers, straps, buckles, waist/shoulder padding, aircore venting-- the list continues about what crap is added to packs these days.

#132274 - 04/18/10 01:57 PM Re: What pack to get? [Re: balzaccom]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Actually, the pack I left the Virga for was a Deuter ACT Zero 60+10, also a touch over 3 pounds. I like the suspension a lot, and don't have to worry about weight (though my load rarely exceeds 25 pounds, and never 30, anymore. It has just the right number and style of pockets, adjusts to fit me perfectly (the Virga wasn't adjustable, but I was lucky that the fit was close enough to be OK), and has plenty of room for a bulky winter load. It fit my needs for a do-it-all pack - and that ended up being more important than the weight.

For what it's worth, the Virga is probably one of the more durable ultralight packs out there. I never had any problems with the materials or the stitching.

#132335 - 04/19/10 06:05 PM Re: What pack to get? [Re: Glenn]
Wstrnsky Offline

Loc: Montana, USA
I like my Osprey Kestrel 48ltr pack. Osprey also has a great product line and a great warranty. You might find one in their line of backpacks.

#132355 - 04/19/10 11:00 PM Re: What pack to get? [Re: forsciguy]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Although I'm very happy wth my 2008 REI Cruise UL 60 I don't prefer their current non-adjustable (for torso length) harness sysem in the now re-named Flash 60. But if it fits you the pack is otherwise an excellent pack for the money with lots of great features.

From what I have seen in my own hands my vote goes to Granite Gear 1st and Osprey 2nd. They make durable, comfortable high quality packs that happen to be light.

Eric
BTW, you can find aftermarket side pockets from various pack makers that will attatch to the sides of most packs with light 3/4" webbing & Fastex-type buckles sudh as carried in various lengths by REI. This gives you a place for items you will need right away, like a 1st aid kit, poopie kit & trowel, headlamp, etc. This gives you much greater pack size versatility (adds about 700 cu. in.)and convienance W/ little additional weight.

("poopie kit" = T.P., hand sanitizer and aluminum snow stake for a UL trowel) Hand sanitizer is the best for preventing butt-to-hand-to mouth contamination.

#132362 - 04/19/10 11:36 PM Re: What pack to get? [Re: Glenn]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

And to put that all in perspective, I love the Virga. but again, it's very dependant on *you* - how much you are carrying, how you pack it (the virga will need something like sleeping pads to act as a "suspension") and how it feels on you.

while yes, it's about a pound, it's not worth the weight saving
over a three pound pack if you are uncomfortable with it.

I probably do better than "average" with it because of the way I carry it, always with a big blue foam pad and everything stuffed in the middle of that.
Browse my pictures

#132419 - 04/20/10 08:46 PM Re: What pack to get? [Re: phat]
forsciguy Offline

Thanks for all the replies. This will definitely give me food for thought as I begin to acquire all of my gear! (I just picked up my bag (Montbell Spiral Down Hugger #1 for $263 with the 20% discount at backcountry! I was tempted to quickly buy a pack since the 20% ends on the 28th, but figured it would be better to wait till i do a little more research into the packs suggested. The 20% off code is 56L-1-C3JBA if anyone is interested).

#132423 - 04/20/10 09:05 PM Re: What pack to get? [Re: forsciguy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Don't omit the Six Moon Designs packs when you're researching. I have their Comet, a now discontinued "little brother" of their Starlite. With the "optional" (mandatory, IMHO) aluminum stays, it comfortably carries up to 35 lbs. or a little more. I especially love the load lifters because my shoulders are extremely pressure-sensitive (more old age...).

The pack for you is the one that fits you (pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit) and comfortably carries the load you want to carry. The latter is the reason for getting the rest of your gear first (including the weight/bulk equivalent of a week's food). Carry it around the store or your house for several hours, fully loaded, before taking it on any trips.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum