Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128394 - 02/08/10 09:59 AM Equivalents to the old Montrail Hardrock?
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I have recently had real problems replacing an old (2006) pair of Montrail Hardrocks. I realize that there are lighter shoes available; in fact I am trying to sell two pair just now. They just didn't work for me.

What I am looking for is a pair of trail running shoes that have a good heel cushion and a sole that is thick and sturdy enough to deal with the rocky Arizona trails I spend a lot of time hiking. Please note: I have tried lighter shoes and just don't like the ones I have tried. I do not need special widths or anything like that. I am prone to plantar fasciitis and associated heel pain and I just want comfortable shoes like the old Hardrocks. Any suggestions? I would even consider a pair of light, well cushioned ankle high boots if the need arose. All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Edited by Pika (02/08/10 10:00 AM)

#128395 - 02/08/10 10:14 AM Re: Equivalents to the old Montrail Hardrock? [Re: Pika]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
I've mentioned it in other posts, but I'll say it again . .

Get Feathersprings and use almost any shoe that fits.
https://www.luxis.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=1003

#128405 - 02/08/10 12:39 PM Re: Equivalents to the old Montrail Hardrock? [Re: Pika]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I've had the ASICS eagle Gel trail critters on my feet in stores Pika, and they feel really nice to me, with adequate bottoms for rubbly stuff and enough side to them to not go over easily.

Now here's the problem - the 09 hardrocks feel good to me (and the obviously don't to you) I'm using the 09 hardrock because it's a lot cheaper for me than the ASICS shoe up here. YMMV but since the new hardrock feels ok to me that may mean the asics won't feel good to you.

I also don't use my trailrunners in really rocky stuff though, if I'm expecting it pretty rough, I'll be wearing my hanwag boots.

Browse my pictures

#128416 - 02/08/10 03:54 PM Re: Equivalents to the old Montrail Hardrock? [Re: Pika]
lars Offline

Loc: Bay Area
Scarpa Meridian (leather/Goretex) or Apex (mesh)? I have both and they are the most stable and confidence-boosting shoes I've had in a long time.

#128424 - 02/08/10 05:25 PM Re: Equivalents to the old Montrail Hardrock? [Re: lars]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Pika, I've had some correspondence with Montrail Customer Service. They claim that their new AT Plus model (on Montrail's website but not yet in most stores) is "similar to the old Hardrock style." We'll see.... I plan to order them early next month and will report back.

#128440 - 02/08/10 07:12 PM Re: Equivalents to the old Montrail Hardrock? [Re: OregonMouse]
Pika Offline

Thanks. I respect your opinion. I will hold off until I hear from you.

#128455 - 02/08/10 11:56 PM Re: Equivalents to the old Montrail Hardrock? [Re: Pika]

Or go ahead and order from one of those free shipping-free returns online shoe places. I've been told it will be late Feb. before these new models are in stores, but I haven't checked (cash flow issues related to Christmas spending and credit card billing dates, lol).

#130021 - 03/04/10 12:28 AM Re: Equivalents to the old Montrail Hardrock? [Re: OregonMouse]

Just got my women's Montrail AT Plus this afternoon and discovered that while a size 10 fit me perfectly in the old 2007 Hardrocks, size 10 is definitely too big for me in the AT Plus. The AT Plus don't look as quite supportive as the old Hardrocks, and the upper in the rear is less stiff. I can't really tell if they'll work until I get a size 9 1/2. I'll report further when I try the right size, but at this point I'm a bit dubious.

#130037 - 03/04/10 07:57 AM Re: Equivalents to the old Montrail Hardrock? [Re: OregonMouse]
Pika Offline

Thanks. I hope that they will turn out to be worth looking at. I don't have a Montrail shoe store anywhere near where I live so am interested in any and all opinions. I mostly shoe shop on line.

#130043 - 03/04/10 08:41 AM Re: Equivalents to the old Montrail Hardrock? [Re: OregonMouse]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I read where they are wider up front, do they feel that way? I'm looking to get another pair or try New Balance. The only reason I would get more Montrail's is to support the small outdoor store I shop at. They used to have four employees or more besides the two partners, now it is just the two partners working.

#131490 - 03/29/10 10:21 PM Re: Equivalents to the old Montrail Hardrock? [Re: hikerduane]

After a few days of in-the-house testing, I have decided to return my Montrail women's AT Plus shoes (supposedly a reincarnation of the old Hardrock per Montrail customer service, but, IMHO, that's baloney). The first pair were too big at size 10, so I ordered a 9 1/2. These fit except that they are far too wide in the heel, enough to make my heels tender even just walking around the house. Obviously the AT Plus has a completely different last than the 2007 Hardrocks that fit me perfectly in a size 10. Whether the AT Plus fit others depends on your feet. I have weird feet with very narrow heels plus fallen arches, bunions and hammertoes which require a narrow heel, a wide and high toe box, plus considerable arch support. I just wish I had bought half a dozen pair of the 2007 Hardrocks while they were still available!

After much online searching, I found a pair of 2008 Hardrocks in a wide width, which fit quite well. Their heels are narrower than those of the B-width AT Plus! They will be my next hiking shoes after my 2007 Hardrocks (still in good shape, fortunately) disintegrate. Unfortunately they were the last ones I could find online, or I would order several more pair! (For those women who wear size 5 or 6, there are still plenty available, the best deal being at Sierra Trading Post. I also found a pair of the 2007 Hardrocks in a 5, not much help since I need a 10.) The 2008s aren't quite as supportive as the 2007s (require additional arch support) but are far, far better than the bedroom-slipper-like women's 2009s.

For those like Phat who do like the 2009 Hardrocks, the Hardrock model is being discontinued, so you might want to stock up while they're still available.

I can get an excellent fit in New Balance women's shoes made with their SL-2 last plus motion control (1011 or 1012). Unfortunately, they make only road running shoes with this last and don't have the equivalent (or the motion control feature) in trail runners. I am a bit dubious about taking the relatively smooth soles or the 1011 or 1012 out on our steep, muddy Columbia Gorge trails. There's enough corrugation on the sole to pick up and cling to dog poop that I've missed in my back yard, but IMHO not enough for a good grip in slippery mud, especially at the heel end.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/29/10 10:43 PM)

#131495 - 03/30/10 12:12 AM Re: Equivalents to the old Montrail Hardrock? [Re: OregonMouse]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I dunno what Montrail Hardrocks even look like but I just ordered a pair of Merrill Moab Mid GTX boots as they were the only light, GTX, over-the-ankle boots I could find in a wide size.

Here's hoping they fit well when they arrive next week.

Eric

#131674 - 04/06/10 09:40 PM Re: Equivalents to the old Montrail Hardrock? [Re: 300winmag]

I've seen a suggestion that the Montrail Sabino Trail runners are closer to the old Hardrock than the AT Plus. Since I now have enough shoes to last at least a year, I don't plan to order any at this point. It might be worth investigation (either find in a store to try on, or order from one of the online shoe places that gives free return shipping) for those looking for Hardrock replacements.

EDIT: If anyone tries the Sabino Trail, please let us know if it has the same wide heel as the AT Plus (way too wide for me!). Thank you!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/07/10 11:54 PM)
Edit Reason: Add question for readers

#131767 - 04/08/10 01:23 PM Re: Equivalents to the old Montrail Hardrock? [Re: Keith]
CamperHiker Offline

Loc: UT
Keith, I'll have to try feather springs, I've had ffoot issues while hiking that might be solved with them

------------
www.branchwhipped.com gear giveaways, reviews, adventures

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum