Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130126 - 03/04/10 08:03 PM Optimus Terra HE cookset
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Just had to use some points to get this, when I read the description:

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/pr...08_10000001_-1_

The part about "heat exchanger" got me going. It arrived today and, sure enough, attached to the bottom of the anodized aluminum 1-liter pot is a Jetboil-style finned heat exchanger. The Crux stove has fold-out arms; the heat exchanger rests solidy on them. However, if you don't fold out the arms, the burner nestles right up into the heat exchanger - again, just like the Jetboil. It's about a quarter to half pound lighter than the Jetboil setup, but doesn't have the neoprene sleeve (I'm thinking that's irrelevant if you boil-in-bag); the "saucepan" lid (it's too deep to really call it a fry pan) also functions as a handy bowl, bigger than the one with the Jetboil (looks right for a couple packs of oatmeal or a nice serving of soup.) Would probably make a nice coffee cup, too. The pot has easily-read measuring marks stamped into it. I coupled it with a Sea-to-Summit Alpha Light spoon, which stows nicely in the stuff sack the pot comes with.

Haven't lit it yet, but I'm anxious to try it out; if anyone's interested, I'll let you know how it works out. There's also
a .6L Terra pot available if you want to knock another 2 or 3 ounces off, but I can't see any mention of a heat-exchanger version of it.

Edited by Glenn (03/04/10 08:11 PM)

#130164 - 03/05/10 01:01 AM Re: Optimus Terra HE cookset [Re: Glenn]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Huh. Looks identical to the Primus Eta Express, except different burner and no windscreen. Will be interested in hearing how well it works.

Cheers,

#130197 - 03/05/10 10:05 AM Re: Optimus Terra HE cookset [Re: Glenn]
glsmaverick Offline

Loc: Grand Blanc MI
I have this exact cook set up from Optimus but last years version. I wish I would have known about the new heat exchanger option thats probably gonna be nice. Wind effects the crux pretty bad so an exchanger would make that transfer more efficient. But the crux IS a good stove with great heat control and no hotspots that I have found.

The way I have it is a great set up though. Boils fast in the pot and fry's a nice egg and a piece of toast in the pan/lid. All in all good set up. Wrap a bandana around the pot and you can have some tea in there too!

#130208 - 03/05/10 12:52 PM Re: Optimus Terra HE cookset [Re: glsmaverick]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've got last year's (or two years' ago?) pot, too; it works great with my Svea stove (we won't discuss how long I've had that.) I use that setup for winter camping, sometimes.

Currently, my default stove is a Jetboil PCS - it's not the lightest, but it sure is convenient for my style of cooking. I'm hoping the Optimus, at lighter weight, might prove equally functional; if so, it may be the final piece of a lighter-weight option to my gear that will save about 3 pounds (a lighter pack, a lighter tent, short sleeping pad with an inflatable seat cushion/pad extender and no chair) - but the lighter stuff will have to function at least as well as the stuff it replaces. (And I'm not carrying that heavy a load now - about 17 pounds before food, fuel, water, or winter clothes; 27 pounds with 4 days' worth of that stuff.)

#130317 - 03/07/10 09:46 PM Re: Optimus Terra HE cookset [Re: Glenn]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I have a Brunton Flex (like the Crux & made by Oprimus but with 4 pot supports & a tighter collar for folding). I use it with my 1 L. JetBoil pot but would like the .6 L. Optimus "Weekender" pot & lid IF it had the Optimus heat exchanger. The lid looks like a perfect pancake skillet - and I do love my hotcakes on cool mornings. Even bought a sexy little folding spatula for that purpose. smile

I have a spare JB neoprene cozy that I could cut & sew to fit the Weekender pot. Might help. I'd have to remove it for using a CC Inferno wood burner but that's easy.

With an MSR windscreen & JB heat exchanger pot it works very well for cooking (such as spaghetti, etc., as opposed to mere boiling) and does not use much fuel.

So now I see that the Swiss Katadyn company bought out Oprimus. Verrrry interesting.

Eric

#130444 - 03/10/10 01:31 PM Re: Optimus Terra HE cookset [Re: 300winmag]
routemaster Offline

Loc: Concord, CA
Just got a Soto but haven't tried it out yet.

#130465 - 03/10/10 06:43 PM Re: Optimus Terra HE cookset [Re: routemaster]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Just looking at the larger flame area of the Soto burner makes me suspect that it will use fuel faster than an Oprimus Crux/Brunton Flex burner.

Eric

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum