Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124938 - 12/08/09 08:09 PM good mummy bag
HikinMike Offline

Loc: OHIO
Hello everyone, new to these boards and wanted an opinion about mummy bags. I'm looking for a around 20 degree rated,thats around 40 bucks. I am really concerned about size however. I want something that packs small and light, but is big enough to fit me. I am 6'0 and 190 lbs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Here are some I found opinions are welcome.

Bag 1

Bag 2
Thanks

#124942 - 12/08/09 08:40 PM Re: good mummy bag [Re: HikinMike]
Tangohkr Offline

Loc: Arizona
Find a used one at a garage sale. Please go to google and type in a shopping search with your parameters NOTHING will be around 40! Good luck

#124943 - 12/08/09 08:47 PM Re: good mummy bag [Re: HikinMike]
HikinMike Offline

Both of my bags in my links are around 40 dollars

#124946 - 12/08/09 09:22 PM Re: good mummy bag [Re: HikinMike]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
They may be around $40, but:

If it's anything like their other equipment, the Wenzel bag is junk - you'd be better off to just put your money in the trash can now; it will take up less room in the landfill, which is where the bag will soon go.

The Downright bag (which isn't down) is incredibly heavy at 4 pounds and, since it's got to be a cheap polyester (no-name for the type of poly fill), it's going to be about as compressible as a car tire.

On cheap bags, you also can't trust the temperature rating - my guess is that it's about 10 degrees too optimistic, at least.

The last time I was in Dick's, I didn't see anything that was suitable for backpacking at any price. Give REI a try - especially check out their Outlet.com tab. You may end up paying closer to $100, but you'll end up with something that is pretty close to your weight and compressibility desires, will keep you warm at the rated temperature, and will actually last more than a trip or two.

Edited by Glenn (12/08/09 09:23 PM)

#124947 - 12/08/09 09:26 PM Re: good mummy bag [Re: HikinMike]
Tangohkr Offline

Loc: Arizona
Your links didn't show up sorry. But you said pack small and light. No way! Sorry, that just is not happening. You'll have to weigh these bags (unless I missed it on the links) no weight is given. That is a dead give away to a heavy bag. Again good luck.

#124948 - 12/08/09 09:32 PM Re: good mummy bag [Re: Tangohkr]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
One bag weighed 4 pounds - no weight was given for the other, so it must be REALLY heavy.

Just looked at REI Outlet.com, and found several LaFuma and ALPS synthetic fill bags for $50-60, some REI synthetic bags for around the same price, and a couple of REI down-flled bags for around $100. All of those will be much better values, and might actually be warm.

#124952 - 12/08/09 11:45 PM Re: good mummy bag [Re: Glenn]
HikinMike Offline

Great thanks for all the advice. The outlet site is great

#124956 - 12/09/09 01:29 AM Re: good mummy bag [Re: HikinMike]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Hope you don't feel too beat up with the responses - but I agree with everything you've been told so far. A couple words of warning:

1) read the weight before buying. and remember synthetic will be bigger and heavier.

2) Be careful about the *size* of the bag. You are 6 feet even, which is right on the dividing line between most bag makers "regular" and "long" bags - you may end up wanting a long, it will depend.

If you are looking at REI outlet, and there is an REI in your area, it wouldn't hurt to actually go into REI, and *try on* a few bags if you have a chance. You may find you like some more than others. You may only get the *price* on the outlet web site, but if they have the same bag in store you can try a few on and decide what you like. The other thing you can do even if they do *not* have the same bag, is try a few on, even the expensive ones, and note the lenght and girth of the bag at shoulders, etc. even if you're buying a diffrernt one if you've noticed a fit you are comfortable with you can compare to the dimensions of the bag you are looking at buying online.

Browse my pictures

#124962 - 12/09/09 10:49 AM Re: good mummy bag [Re: HikinMike]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I think Tango is referring to a decent bag...sabrer11004... goodjob

#124963 - 12/09/09 11:09 AM Re: good mummy bag [Re: HikinMike]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I fully understand your desire to get a sleeping bag as cheaply as possible. If you are going to use it for any length of time at all, it is worth spending whatever is required to get good stuff. You will carry it on every overnight trip, so weight is important. You will sleep in it every night, so warmth is important. Some morning, when you awake revived and refreshed, the amount of money you spent on the bag will be trivial. Use a coffe can for a cooking pot and a painter's tarp for shelter, for a while, but get a good bag.

Long, long ago, I spent a month's salary on a good, light bag. It served me ably for over fifteen years and was still good when it was stolen. It worked in numerous difficult situations and repaid its initial cost, many, many times....

My thought is that you need a good sleeping bag, a good pack, and good shoes. Spend whatever is necessary (nowadays, it isn't necessarily a lot, especially with shoes) to be sure that you have those three suitable items. You can finesse the rest for a while.

Next you will need a good parka... And thus the addiction begins......

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 225 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum