Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122057 - 10/08/09 12:29 PM Trekking Pole Quesitions - Comparing Features
Berserker Offline

Loc: Lynchburg, VA
I am looking at getting a new set of trekking poles, and have questions about different features that I would like to hear feedback on.

Basically, I have a set of Lekis with shocks that are in fairly pooor condition due to use. I was looking at getting another set of Lekis to replace them until I started checking out other options, and the Black Daimond brand poles caught my eye. My expereince with the Lekis is that I like most of the features, but I don't much care for the twist style locking mechanism. The flick lock mechanism on the BD poles is very attractive to me. So, with that said here are the things I would like to hear feed back on:

1. For those that have used both the twist lock and flick lock style of mechanisms, what is your preference and why?
2. What is the difference between foam and cork grips (I know what foam and cork is, so what I am really looking for here are what are the advantages of one over the other)?
3. For those that have used poles with and without shocks, which type do you prefer and why?

#122061 - 10/08/09 01:39 PM Re: Trekking Pole Quesitions - Comparing Features [Re: Berserker]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
1) I'm not qualified to answer.

2) In my experience foam grips are more slippery when sweaty and cork grips are not as durable as foam. And just to complicate the matter, not all foam grips can be lumped in the same category because they vary wildly.

3) IMO the adavantage of shocks, if any, is not worth the added weight, complexity and cost. If you're planting your pole on anything other than solid rock the ground is a natural shock absorber.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#122066 - 10/08/09 02:39 PM Re: Trekking Pole Quesitions - Comparing Features [Re: Berserker]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
1. I haven’t tried flick extensively so I can’t answer.
2. The GG Lightrek ‘1’ had foam grips. The Lightrek II, III, IV have cork grips. I have the I, II, and III. Of all, I prefer the foam because it is just softer. I miss it on my Lightrek 3’s.
3. The Lightrek I and II’s had thin fiberglass poles. I have never broke one but my buddy has. Anyway, I bring this up because the ‘I’ and ‘II’ had an inherent built-in shock absorbing affect within a 2.1oz pole. When planted correctly, the pole would vibrate/ring (whatever you want to call it). This had a nice softening/dampening effect on my hands, wrists, and arms. Now that the III is beefier (2.4oz), the shock-absorbing affect mostly disappeared. So I feel the ‘shock’ a little more. I do miss the shock-absorbing effect. I thought it was more comfortable. But I get by fine without it; it’s psychologically more comforting knowing I have a beefier pole.

Now if the shock absorber added weight, I think it wouldn’t be worth it.

-Barry

#122072 - 10/08/09 04:34 PM Re: Trekking Pole Quesitions - Comparing Features [Re: Berserker]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
1. My ski poles are BD FlickLock. It is not possible to twist cold wet poles with gloves. FlickLocks and fixed length poles are the only poles that work as ski poles. If you keep twist lock poles clean they work fine, but only for warm weather.

2. Do not know.

3. Do not know.

Edited by food (10/08/09 04:35 PM)

#122076 - 10/08/09 07:31 PM Re: Trekking Pole Quesitions - Comparing Features [Re: ringtail]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
I have infested outdoor shops with my presence for more than twenty years...( most here are in the same street of where I worked)
Having played a lot with poles before I bought a pair ( like others I used to think that they were a silly idea) I never failed to jam a twist lock within a few minutes of fiddling with one. That was with several brands (Leki, Exped, Komperdell, Fizan and some house brands (made by Fizan, Griphon and a Taiwanese firm) ) . However the BD flick lock worked so I bought a pair of BD poles.
Recently I tested the GG Lite Light Trek 4 with straps. They have a twist lock and ...it jams. I was able to fix that every time however it stopped me from adjusting the poles up and down for the different gradients because I needed to stop to take the poles apart and re-set them.
Those GG have a cork handle. Not sure how to compare it with the rubber on my BD ( I have two pairs) because the weigh half as much so the feel is totally different and I only used them for 6 days.
Because of the way I use the poles, the strap is important to me as well as an easy to use mec for adjusting the height.
Franco

#122087 - 10/08/09 11:56 PM Re: Trekking Pole Quesitions - Comparing Features [Re: Berserker]
moondust Offline

Loc: California
I just got the Black Diamonds after having used Komperdells and my husband's Lekis for several years. Both the Komps and the Lekis had problems locking after they got well worn. Sometimes they would not tighten at all (I knew how to deal with that one - pull them to their longest length, tighten, then shorten the length by 1 inch at a time and retighten each time). But a worse problem was collapsing at inopportune times. I have only hiked once with the Black Diamonds but they never collapsed on me and I did a lot of steep downhill and rockhopping.

I prefer the non-shock type. They have a more secure feel when you plant them. I have arthritic elbows and the non-shock poles never bother them. The shock absorber feature is a gimmick if you ask me. I prefer foam over cork but I couldn't really tell you why. I like the foam handles that extend downward so you can shorten the poles just by gripping the handles lower down.

#122094 - 10/09/09 11:29 AM Re: Trekking Pole Quesitions - Comparing Features [Re: Berserker]
lori Offline

I have a pair of Komperdells and a pair of Lightrek 4 poles. The Komperdells are 6 oz apiece with twist locks. The Lightreks are 3 - 3.5 oz apiece with different twist locks. I have had the cork grip replaced once due to marmots munching on them.

The Komperdells take fiddling to get the locks locked these days, but the Lightreks have been solid, and I have also gotten with the poles some spare parts, which none of the major manufacturers part with for love or money. Also, Gossamer staff answer when you call or email. Also, I like the cork better - while the Lightreks were in for repair for a couple weeks I used the Komperdell again, and did not care for the foam handles... it's a matter of preference for the feel in your hand.

The Lightreks are so light in my hands it's worth it. I haven't had the poles jam like Franco does - in my experience it doesn't take a lot to lock the poles. I don't have collapse-a-pole on the trail and no issues thus far with anything other than salt hungry marmots. I was going to go with flick locks, but I'm happy I chanced the Lightreks. The twist lock isn't the same as any I've seen on commercial poles and seems to do the job better.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#122098 - 10/09/09 06:45 PM Re: Trekking Pole Quesitions - Comparing Features [Re: lori]
Franco Offline

To clarify some of my points..
The GG poles never collapsed on me and although of a smaller diameter than the BPL CF Stix ( I used those for one day) they felt secure and for some reason I preferred the feel of the GG ( different sort of vibration from them) .
Mind you I do not like the idea of the one piece poles, those BPL Stix got crushed inside the luggage area of the bus on the way back to Seattle.
The mechanism inside the GG poles is indeed very simple, and that is how we were able to fix them every time. That has not being the case for me with other brands...
When I switched back to the BD (Contour Carbon, twice as heavy in spite of the CF designation) I realised for the first time that my hands are somewhat tired at the end of the day. That was particularly obvious on how the strap felt around my hand/wrist.
To be honest I am not sure I would feel safe enough on the "trails" here with the GG but if I were over there on trails like the ones we did (a bit of the PCT and one in the Olympics) I would switch to the GG LiteTrek 4.

Franco

#122103 - 10/09/09 10:07 PM Re: Trekking Pole Quesitions - Comparing Features [Re: Franco]
rambler Offline

Here is a solution with poles that slip under gloves in cold weather as mentioned above. Tape them like the butt end of a hockey stick

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/555513634kEOcFn

Edited by rambler (10/09/09 10:08 PM)

#122133 - 10/10/09 02:05 PM Re: Trekking Pole Quesitions - Comparing Features [Re: Berserker]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
1. I only have experience with twist locks, and I'm not a fan, but continuing to live with them --- it's a matter of balancing out all the factors, not deciding based on just any one.

2. I've used both types of grip and don't care that much. Like others have said (Franco?), the strap is more important to me than the specific grip material, so long as the grip is durable.

3. I've used poles with shocks and without and prefer them without. Less weight, one less thing to go wrong, less noisy (depending on the shock type), and I figure that shock absorbtion is built into my arms, shoulders, etc.

Other factors to consider in poles:

- weight, and related, the material they're made of. I'm a fan of carbon fiber poles for people who take reasonable care of their gear. Like with shoes "a pound on your hands is worth X pounds on your back"

- adjustable or (like I think the GG poles referenced) fixed length. I think this depends on specific dynamics, but I infrequently like to be able to adjust my pole height. I no longer bother to adjust when going up or down hill, but when travelling or sometimes to work better as a tent or tarp pole.

- Don't even start on the "basket or no basket" debate ... :-)
But related, if you want to dual use these as snow poles, how available is a snow basket, and how much of PITA is it to swap baskets?

- If you plan to do a lot of miles, I suggest you have a look at where and whether you can buy replacement pole tips. For my REI rebranded Komperdells I was only able to buy tips for a different model; not that big a deal, except that the replacement tips are somewhat longer and heavier than the originals.

#122139 - 10/10/09 06:52 PM Re: Trekking Pole Quesitions - Comparing Features [Re: BrianLe]
Franco Offline

I have been doing some more thinking about the straps...
Never had a problem with my older BD. They are pretty much a thin piece of grossgrain.
The ones on the GG are even thinner, same result. No problem.
Then I used the new BD Contour and found that towards mid afternoon I would have to shift the position of the strap because it would be uncomfortable by then.
The new BD are a bit lighter than my old ones, so I don't think that weight is the problem or the only problem
As a comparison, the strap on the GG is similar to the one of the Stix (the top one) , no adjustment, but a bit thinner than the one of the BD in the middle.
Franco

#122142 - 10/10/09 10:00 PM Re: Trekking Pole Quesitions - Comparing Features [Re: BrianLe]
lori Offline

My Gossamer Gear poles are adjustable. There are versions that aren't, which you can order custom to whatever length you prefer. I use mine as tarp poles so got ones with a single twist lock.

Small baskets have made a difference for me only when crossing a stream or river - they've kept the poles from sinking too far into silty sand bottoms.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#122160 - 10/11/09 12:51 PM Re: Trekking Pole Quesitions - Comparing Features [Re: Trailrunner]
jasonklass Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Originally Posted By Trailrunner
1)

3) IMO the adavantage of shocks, if any, is not worth the added weight, complexity and cost. If you're planting your pole on anything other than solid rock the ground is a natural shock absorber.

I agree with Trailrunner on this one. I switched from Leki anti-shock poles to Gossamer Gear Light Trek 4s (no shocks) and didn't miss is at all. The huge weight savings made a big difference for me.

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

#122297 - 10/13/09 02:23 AM Re: Trekking Pole Quesitions - Comparing Features [Re: jasonklass]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Never tried cork grips.

I tried BD poles in the store and I couldn't manage to work the flick-lock mechanism--I have pretty weak fingers. The BD poles, even the carbon fiber ones, are a lot heavier.

I would never again buy the anti-shock feature. It is heavy and it is really noisy--the click-click-click is enough to scare off any wildlife within miles and is most annoying. I haven't felt any difference, either.

My current poles are Leki Carbonlite (bought on sale--only way I could afford them). They are extremely comfortable. In fact, the hand grips and straps are so comfortable that I haven't been tempted to switch to either the Titanium Goat or Gossamer Gear adjustable poles. (I have to have adjustable poles because the length I use for hiking is shorter than what I need for my tent.) They are about 6 oz. lighter than my old Leki Makalu poles with anti-shock, and the weight difference is really noticeable. I still use the old poles for exercise walking (with rubber tips on the ends for sidewalk walking), but I use the new ones for real hikes and for backpacking. I've never had any slippage problems with either pair. I also have a single Leki adjustable hiking staff that I used from the mid-1980's until I bought my older trekking poles in late 2005. I never had any slippage or other problems with it, either. My history with that single pole--still adorning my closet--is why I've stuck with Leki over the years.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum