Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119377 - 08/14/09 10:37 AM Good Rain Shell Suggestions?
MattnID Offline

Loc: Idaho
So, as of late I've been fairly unhappy with my cheap $20 rain shell I bought a long time ago but haven't really used that much. I've got all the gear I need these days and anymore it is merely refining it over time now, and since last weekend it was raining for 2 1/2 days(we got around 10x the rain in that period than we average in August) and I was out in it, I got to thinking about a new rain shell.

The one I currently have works fine in keeping a light rain off of me, but of course it doesn't breathe and I doubt it would hold up against any kind of sustained, all day rain. So while it keeps out of the rains I've encountered, wearing it too long means I just end up making it into a sweat bag. Luckily for me, last weekend wasn't too cold(40's and 50's where I was at) and I just wore a long sleeve shirt that was quick dry, plsu the rain was on its tailend.

So, I'm looking for something that is far more breathable, not expensive(no more than $200), and something that might even have some sort of meager insulation would be cool(I think I've seen a few like that). I ask about the slight insulation thing merely because I would really only need this in cold rain situations like I almost had to deal with last weekend. I've yet myself to actually go out and look at anything myself as of late, but that'll probably be happening here shortly. But I was hoping some folks had some good experiences with their rain shells and would share and/or critique what they've used.

Thanks.

#119379 - 08/14/09 11:03 AM Re: Good Rain Shell Suggestions? [Re: MattnID]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I like my Patagonia RainShadow pants and jacket a lot. I think Patagonia is having a summer sale right now; the last time I looked, I think both were on sale, for a total right around $125 (regular price is $250.) Great price for excellent quality, lightweight garments. I didn't check size availability.

#119382 - 08/14/09 11:16 AM Re: Good Rain Shell Suggestions? [Re: MattnID]
mosquito Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I use a packa and love it.
http://www.thepacka.com/

#119394 - 08/14/09 04:12 PM Re: Good Rain Shell Suggestions? [Re: MattnID]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
I've used the North Face Guide Jacket, a North Face HyVent jacket and a Driducks jacket. All work fairly well. The Driducks is the lightest. On my last trip, I just walked in the rain for 3-4 days... no jacket needed. smile

#119397 - 08/14/09 04:41 PM Re: Good Rain Shell Suggestions? [Re: jpanderson80]
CCH Offline

Loc: Colorado
+1 for the Rain Shadow. Nice stuff particularly at the sale price. Planning on adding the pants to my jacket with this current sale. Pretty light for the features (long pit waterproof pit zips). Mine weighs 11 oz. in XL.

#119423 - 08/15/09 05:29 PM Re: Good Rain Shell Suggestions? [Re: MattnID]
CWF Offline

Cabelas has some great prices on Paclite Jackets (under $100 on sale). I use the Outdoor Research Zealot, which is also Paclite and very light (8oz). They are discontinued (replaced by another model) but can be found for around $100 at some retailers.

#119452 - 08/16/09 05:30 PM Good Rain Shell > Rainy River PacLite [Re: MattnID]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
My Cabela's Rainy River Gore-Tex PacLite parka and pants are just about the best value anywhere.

Parka> $99. Great quality & details & MANY sizes.
Pants> $99. Zip to knees & hip poocket stuff sack.

Try to beat those prices in Gore-Tex PacLite. Same garantee as REI. Don't like it at ANY time return it for a full refund.

Eric

#119458 - 08/16/09 08:15 PM Re: Good Rain Shell > Rainy River PacLite [Re: 300winmag]
CWF Offline

Backcountry.com currently has the OR Zealot Paclite Jacket for $79.95. Okay - I beat it.

#119526 - 08/18/09 09:35 AM Re: Good Rain Shell Suggestions? [Re: CCH]
CCH Offline

Loc: Colorado
Somehow I either mis-weighed or mis-typed the info into my gear list as my Rain Shadow is actually a more hefty 14.5 ounces in XL. Sorry for the wrong info!

#119529 - 08/18/09 10:58 AM Re: Good Rain Shell Suggestions? [Re: CCH]
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
If durability is not critical, DriDucks are cheap and light and breath and lasted for an entire AT thruhike with no problem whatsoever. I used them for rain, wind, cold and bug protection.

#119619 - 08/20/09 05:17 PM Re: Good Rain Shell > Rainy River PacLite [Re: CWF]
300winmag Offline

CWF,

I bow to your Scottish Thrifty Price Research Institute. Get that OP GTX jacket while it's hot.

Eric

#119623 - 08/20/09 06:34 PM Re: Good Rain Shell > Rainy River PacLite [Re: 300winmag]
CWF Offline

Hey, my Father is Scottish - how did you know?

Crazy thing is, it was actually $59.95 the first day they went on sale. Should have jumped then!

#119810 - 08/24/09 02:58 PM Re: Good Rain Shell Suggestions? [Re: MattnID]
glsmaverick Offline

Loc: Grand Blanc MI
There have definitely been some good, cheaper options pointed out but I would just like to put in my vote for Mountain Hardwear Typhoon jacket. Its Paclite as well. I have one and its a winner in my book. It has kept me bone dry in numerous downpours and has held up well in many different conditions. Its more expensive than the shells already discussed but it still falls under $200!

#119824 - 08/24/09 09:12 PM Re: Good Rain Shell Suggestions? [Re: MattnID]
Echterling Offline

Loc: USA
The old technology becomes new again. . . after giving up ponchos years ago in favor of Gore-tex, and then becoming horribly disappointed, I've started to favor ponchos again for warm weather rainy conditions because they are more versatile and vent more.

For example, you can raise up your poncho and take photos with your camera protected from the rain. Similarly, you can get underneath the poncho to read the map.

Obviously, ponchos have their limitations, but I think they are worth considering.

#119826 - 08/24/09 09:50 PM Re: Good Rain Shell Suggestions? [Re: MattnID]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
This is the best rain protection i have found. 100% breathable, too !

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=GO9011

BF cool

#119833 - 08/24/09 11:34 PM Re: Good Rain Shell Suggestions? [Re: MattnID]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
+1 for the Dri Ducks or the similar Frog Toggs unless you plan to bushwhack. Cheap, waterproof and very breathable.

I brought a Dri Duck hooded jacket on a trip where it wasn't supposed to rain so I left my regular hardshell at home. But Mr. Murphy had other ideas and I wound up skiing in rain/wet snow for a couple of hours. That jacket performed just as well as my other more expensive shells. It just doesn't have lot of bells and whistles. But it is very light.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#119895 - 08/26/09 10:47 AM Re: Good Rain Shell Suggestions? [Re: MattnID]
Dano Offline

Loc: Ga
We have found that the campmor poncho/tarp works pretty well.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20275

#120119 - 08/31/09 05:23 PM Re: Good Rain Shell Suggestions? [Re: MattnID]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“So, I'm looking for something that is far more breathable, not expensive(no more than $200), and something that might even have some sort of meager insulation would be cool(I think I've seen a few like that).”

It’s a tricky choice for me. I love my 6 oz umbrella.
I love my 1.5oz 50¢ poncho that also covers my pack.
I love my 5oz o2 rain jacket. I find this more breathable than the poncho.

Yep it seemed to be raining all over ID. I was just there for a few days (Aug 22-25th). It poured on the 23rd. I enjoyed eating breakfast out in the rain with my o2 jacket in Hagerman ID. Wow beautiful place.

For 40F weather, I usually use the o2 with 2 underlayers.

The poncho or o2 is dual-use for me. In the morning, I plop all my packs contents on the rainwear to keep my items clean while I pack my bag.

-Barry

#120266 - 09/03/09 03:48 PM Re: Good Rain Shell Suggestions? [Re: BarryP]
300winmag Offline

Ponchos are not nearly as warm as rain parkas in cold & rainy weather. Also ponchos, being of non-breathable fabric, get very wet around the shoulders and upper chest.

In warmer rainy weather I wear my Cabela's PacLite poncho over my pack W/ the hood on my head and arms wrapped around my lower shoulder straps. This gives enough protection in a light rain and keeps me from sweating inside the poncho.

Eric

#120336 - 09/04/09 11:10 PM Re: Good Rain Shell Suggestions? [Re: 300winmag]
MedicineMan Offline

Loc: Northeastern TN
I have a collection of rain jackets from 35+ years of backpacking. Every time a model would come out that would save me 2ounces I would order it. 2 ounces was my cut off point, it had to save that much or more before I'd spend the money. I ended up using a an Ion for the last several hundred miles of trail.....always rain jackets. My experience with ponchos was 36 years ago---this has recently changed with the aquisition of a Packa.
You can read the reviews, study the pros/cons...really all I can say is why did I wait so long for this piece of kit! The latest rendition is expertly assembled and is now my go to piece for rain. I couple it with a pair of MLD gaiters for leg protection and sometimes a pair of MLD mitts. One critical thing is the hood and Packa got that right too.
Weight is 11 ounces and I agree with other reviewers that jacket and pack cover and the Packa wins. I wish I could get by with just a cape but the flapping and the material getting in the way when reaching for something were just too anoying. The Packa has the advantages of the poncho and a jacket and the pack cover is a big bonus.

#120548 - 09/08/09 02:09 PM Re: Good Rain Shell Suggestions? [Re: MedicineMan]
300winmag Offline

Medicine Man,

Thanks for the info on the Packa. I bookmarked the website and saw that the owner/inventor is considering an eVent Packa. Now THAT interests me. He has no middlemen or store to support so costs will be reasonable. A very clever idea whose time has come. This is far better than the extended rain ponchos/pack covers.

Eric

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum