Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116056 - 05/14/09 10:02 PM Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot...
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Ok, I'll admit I like carrying an SAK classic for the scissors on it, even after helping a little in poking fun at Jim Shaw for his dull knife and scissors mantras..

However, I had to think of Jim and Safety today. I was working in between two huge racks of gear bringing up systems and was pulling ethernet patch cables out of a box that were annoyingly rolled up and tied with stuff (grrr. nothing is more annoying when you're doing *lots*) I whipped out the SAK, and thinking of "safety first" I opened out the scissors. Two cables later I promptly managed (in my annoyance) to stick my middle left finger with the scissors and bleed all over the data centre. And this being a sattelite centre with nothing around I then had to mcgyver a bandaid with cardboard packing from the machine boxes and duct tape so I could stop dripping on the floor.

Anyway, just a reminder. nothing's idiot proof, (I'm living proof).. let's be careful out there..

Browse my pictures

#116065 - 05/15/09 12:12 AM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: phat]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Lo, these many years ago, when I must have been all of 17 years old, I got a Swiss Army knife for Christmas. I cut myself with it within the first five minutes. The new ones are SHARP! JimShaw would never approve.

#116066 - 05/15/09 12:24 AM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: phat]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
I'll be checking this post every 15 minutes tomorrow to see what pithy comment Jim makes in reply... I can hardly wait!
thanks

#116069 - 05/15/09 09:16 AM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: phat]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
laugh laugh laugh laugh

That makes me laugh. But I can't laugh too hard cause I did something worse a few weeks ago. I was using a razor blade (the flat kind you use to scrape paint with) to scrape glue off some wood at work. As I was doing this, I thought "If I slip, I will be in bad shape, I better be VERY careful". As soon as I finish that thought, I slip and stab the blade deep into my thumb. Without looking at it, I grab a big Kimwipe and press it hard against the cut. It didn't bleed much because I put pressure on it fast. I kept pressure on it for an hour, then put on a bandaid and neosporin. A couple of days later, all I have is a big scar. After I put a bandaid on that day, I went back and put the wood in a bench vise, and then scraped the rest of the glue off, making sure my body was not in the way any more. So yeah, stupid is as stupid does.

#116070 - 05/15/09 09:26 AM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: phat]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Wrong tool. I've got a Leatherman Squirt multi-tool that was made especially for Radio Shack (and sold there) that has the most accurate wire strippers I've ever used. Haven't stabbed myself yet.

Ok, here in the "DullKnife" blade care manual it clearly states:
"upon the purchase of a new knife, all cutting surfaces should be dressed by leaning them into a course wheel bench grinder, with your full body weight, rounding all edges and points, then buffed smooth with a linen buff wheel."

Phat, you could have saved yourself injury, had you read the directions. grin wink
(superglue...the miracle dressing!)

Edited by Dryer (05/15/09 09:28 AM)

#116073 - 05/15/09 10:36 AM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: phat]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Anyone ever notice women don't have these problems? I know this because you never meet a woman named "Lefty" or "Stumpy." grin

#116075 - 05/15/09 11:15 AM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: Glenn]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Quote:
Anyone ever notice women don't have these problems?

I beg to differ! I'm the one who managed to cut herself on a brand new set of Chicago Cutlery kitchen knives the day after Christmas!

#116087 - 05/15/09 01:23 PM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
According to ER statistics, what you really want to watch out for are bread knives and unsliced bagels. A gazillion people gash themselves every year while trying to slice them. I think of this each time I slice a bagel, warily.

#116088 - 05/15/09 01:46 PM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: phat]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
With deference to Jim, dull is not always that helpful. I spent yesterday evening in an ER getting my hand sewed up after an encounter with a rather dull piece of sheet metal. I think I might have been more careful if it had been sharp...

#116098 - 05/15/09 04:06 PM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: Eric]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Eric
So is the "state of Jefferson" = Jefferson County up by mt Jefferson?

Anyway if that piece of metal had been sharp, they might have been sewing your hand back on instead of sewing it up!

phat et all, I am an expert at cutting myself to the bone, I used to do it all the time and not just with my razor sharp boy scout knife either - hack saws etc come to mind, however I still have 10 digits so I can type.

I simply found that I tended to get more minor of knicks, more like scratches, from camping cuts, instead of cutting to the bone, with a duller knife. After nearly cutting my thumb off and a lot of jumping up and down and screaming and bleading all over, I took my favorite old homemade sheeth knife and pulled the blade across a rock with enough pressure to remove that extreme edge. And to this day I keep it just almost sharp.

Women tend to cut everything with scissors except in the kitchen. I think most kitchen knifes are not that sharp unless they are new. Dishwashers etc tend to dull them, and not to be sexist, but my experience is that women don't sharpen knives - its a male oriented thing. Most kitchen knives are
dull" by the "dull knife standard" and thats why women tend have most of their fingers.

There, how was that for politically correct and gentile? eek
Jim - Dull Knife - and proud of it, but I do sharpen them to clean game. Sometimes you need sharp, and a butcher, Ninja, carpenter or other edged tool professional should have the sharpest tool available. Note "professional" meaning trained and aware and wearing safety gear. oh yes, I only use sharp chainsaw blades.

Edited by Jimshaw (05/15/09 04:07 PM)

#116101 - 05/15/09 04:52 PM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
OK, since you've shown an appropriately high level of ineptitude, we'll now officially recognize you as a honorary Guy. smile

By the way, my own claim to fame: I needed to cut a piece of light foam insulation while on a roof. No place to set it, so what's the logical thing? Get down on one knee, and rest it on your thigh, then use a utility knife (razor blade) to cut without thinking things through. Result: about an inch long near-surgical incision, which only took about 4 butterfly closures and some pressure to get stopped. Pants were trashed, too.

Edited by Glenn (05/15/09 09:04 PM)

#116106 - 05/15/09 05:27 PM State of Jefferson [Re: Jimshaw]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
Jim,
The Mythical State of Jefferson is an area of south west Oregon and northern California that tried to form a new state in the late 1930s- early 1940s. The move might have succeeded but the attack on Pearl Harbor put a stop to it. It has not, however, been forgotten by the locals. There are "Entering The State of Jefferson" signs on some of the highways and the local NPR station is Jefferson Public Radio. This all got started because the folks in Portland and Sacramento didn't give a crap about this area and for that matter, mostly, still don't. We're lucky enough to be on the Oregon side of the line, by 2 miles, so at least we don't pay CA taxes.

#116108 - 05/15/09 05:55 PM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: Glenn]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By Glenn
Anyone ever notice women don't have these problems? I know this because you never meet a woman named "Lefty" or "Stumpy." grin

My mom cuts herself more than anyone I know. I always worry when she is cutting food for dinner, it almost never fails. But, she still has all fingers, barely (bad arthritis).

#116128 - 05/16/09 03:28 AM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: Glenn]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
Last week end I spent some hours dismantling and cutting some various cans for making stoves, handling all sorts of hazardous holes and ragged edges, no problem.
Then I washed my hands and went to prepare lunch
Got a first nick hacking some garlic (hurts!), then slashed my finger while slicing a juicy bell pepper(hurts even more than garlic...)
Bad days...

#116139 - 05/16/09 12:33 PM Re: State of Jefferson [Re: Eric]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Originally Posted By Eric
Jim,
The Mythical State of Jefferson is an area of south west Oregon and northern California that tried to form a new state in the late 1930s- early 1940s.

Here there was talk of forming the State of Superior as recently as the 70s out of the U.P. and northern WI. A story that characterized neglect from downstate . . .

An EMT was telling me that they were waiting for information materials from Lansing (state capital). It didn't come and finally they called. She was told "Oh, we didn't have enough so we just didn't send any to the U.P."

So, even though we don't live on Lake Superior, Superior is a common business name here. Just 4 blocks away is Superior State Administrators, an insurance agency.

#116147 - 05/16/09 04:43 PM Re: State of Jefferson [Re: Keith]
JWE Offline

Loc: Salem OR USA
If I remember right wasn't it a DJ who was really pushing for it? I'm from up that way too but haven't been home in years.

#116151 - 05/16/09 08:27 PM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: Jimshaw]
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
dull" by the "dull knife standard" and thats why women tend have most of their fingers.

My Wife is left handed and holds a piece of fruit or whatever in her right hand and cuts with the blade going towards her palm. I've seen her cut herself more than once. I've tried to explane and show her how a culinary artist should use a knife. I ain't, about to sharpen those knives. And she has cutting boards. But I guess the boards can't do ALL THE CUTTING now can they? confused

#116153 - 05/16/09 09:54 PM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: chaz]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
You can cut yourelf with either a dull knife or a sharp one. You are more likely to slip and cut yourself with a dull knife IF you are using your knives correctly. The other problem with a dull knife is that it has a tendency to rip instead of cutting cleanly and rips take longer to heal.

#116310 - 05/20/09 01:39 PM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: phat]
packs2much Offline

Loc: Dever, Co
I'm going to have to agree with the Cook. If your cutting your self all of the time you're not handling it properly.

I learned my lesson on my first knife when I cut deep into my palm while trying to open a small package. I still have the scar to remind me.

A knife is similar to a gun. It can only hurt someone if you get on the business end. Careful guys tents are hard enough to set up with all of your fingers!

#116352 - 05/21/09 08:32 AM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: packs2much]
chaz Offline

I agree with you about guns and knives. I like a knife sharp enough to shave with, a dull knife to me is worthless and dangerous. Maybe my wife should just shoot the stuff apart instead of using a knife. She is a crack shot. Uncanny sense of where the target is. You should see her waving her 9mm around. yikes...

#116353 - 05/21/09 08:38 AM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: finallyME]
chaz Offline

We were having dinner last week with my Son and his new wife when she tried to stop the free spinning food processor blade and sliced the pad from her right index finger.
A lot of people don't realize what a sharp edge is capable of.

#116356 - 05/21/09 10:14 AM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: chaz]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
A 9mm for cutting fruit?

Browse my pictures

#116366 - 05/21/09 05:35 PM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: thecook]
Jimshaw Offline

tcook

its a matter of degree. There's sharp and then there's sharp. I say if you can't run the blade sideways over your skin without cutting, its too sharp for camping, especially going solo unless you need to skin game. (Unless your are an edged tool professional). People think razor sharp is really sharp - its not, nor are scalpels that sharp and for a reason. A scalpels imperfection leaves a more ragged edge than a micro-tome, and those edges are where wound closure starts from. A cut from an extremely sharp tool does not stop bleeding on its own, a cut from a lightly sharpened blade does.
You guys should read some medical literature or even read the quotes that I posted elsewhere from medical literature - a slightly ragged cut closes and heals faster than one from an extremely sharp tool. For this reason surgeons like to make atleast the first opening cuts with a scalpel, so the wound will close more quickly. They mak use other sharper tolls while insde.

Jim

#116367 - 05/21/09 05:37 PM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: phat]
Jimshaw Offline

phat

cool photo
Now a .44 makes a much larger and finer spray.
Jim
What i need a can opener fer - we can shoot the lids off...

#116368 - 05/21/09 06:33 PM Re: Swiss Army Knife + Scissors + Idiot... [Re: Jimshaw]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Jim, I like to recondition and shave with straight razors. "Razor sharp" is a very tricky thing to achieve and maintain, by hand. My benchmark sharp blade is a cartridge blade made by a Japanese company called "Feather" (http://www.feather.co.jp/eProducts.htm). Those blades will remove skin painlessly, and don't become "razor" sharp until about 2 weeks worth of shaving. It's hard to imagine something too sharp to shave with. I figure it's impossible to get an edge like that by hand. Downright scary.
My traditional honed/stroped blades are the result of 2000 years of shaving tech and are "razor sharp"....meaning they take off hair but not skin (unless it's dull). No nicks or cuts unless you drag the blade longways. Then they will literally remove your head if you aren't careful. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum