Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105342 - 10/25/08 08:22 PM Question about GPS software...
judach Offline

Loc: California, USA
Disclosure: Ok, so this may be a dumb question to most, but I am REALLY not technologically inclined so bear with me...

I am wondering if there is software out there that will be compatible with a Garmin 60csx gps unit that will allow me to view topo maps on my computer (to plot routes and trails etc..) and transfer the topo maps to my handheld GPS. Does that make sense? I want to view topo maps both on my computer AND on my GPS. I bought the sd card from Garmin that comes pre-loaded with topo maps for the west coast, but I can not transfer any of the maps to my computer or vice versa. What I really want to be able to do is look at a topo map of a specified area of the US, plot points of intrest (such as trail heads and such) and plot my whole trip/hike on my computer. Then I want to be able to both print the map out AND transfer the topo map to my GPS with the trip data I just plotted on my computer so I can see the actual topo map on my GPS unit.

Ok, that was probably WAY too long of a description of what I wanted to be able to do and it's probably WAY easy, but keep in mind, I can barely turn my own computer on... ;-) Thanks in advance!

#105343 - 10/26/08 06:14 AM Re: Question about GPS software... [Re: judach]
rootball Offline

I have been using expertgps for 4 or 5 years. It was 60 for topos of the us. It works great for me. If your GPS already has the map loaded I think you can plot on the computer then download to GPS = it will show your route on the GPS's map. And I I think it will go the other way for you as well. It does on my GPS. There is a free trial version if I remember corrrectly. The thing about me is- I'm too cheap to pay 100.00 to get a couple of States at a time from that other software maker. Even though it has some neat features. I use my GPS when I am bushwhacking, mostly. Oh, yeah--- I love the way the software connects to google so I can see terrain from different angles. When the leaves are down I like to explore ridge lines that connect trails so that I can do a composite bushwhack using trails to get me to and from. Just sayin, there is a cheap option out there.

#105344 - 10/26/08 01:39 PM Re: Question about GPS software... [Re: judach]
PaulTheSlow Offline

Tiny,

I, too, have a Garmin GPS Map 60CSx. When I purchased the GPS, I also picked up the proprietary Garmin mapping "Topo" software for the entire US, for about $100. This was almost two years ago, to put things into a time perspective, and I have no idea whether they might have made improvements to their data since then.

Up until that time, I had been using a Garmin Etrex Legend, and used National Geographic "Topo!" mapping data (for New England) and software to load trail data and waypoints to the Legend. I had been very happy with the National Geographic map data, as it at least appeared to be scanned USGS topo maps, so I had the USGS map detail and accuracy that I had been used to, and when I set waypoints and downloaded them to my Legend, they appeared to be very accurate.

The advantage to the the Garmin mapping software is that I can both use it on my PC, set waypoints, trail data, etc., and down load both my data AND the Garmin maps to my GPS. What I am dissatisfied with is that the Garmin map data does not appear to be as detailed as the National Geographic map data (USGS quad scans) that I was accustomed to. I must admit that for most of my backpacking needs (e.g., trails, elevation lines, streams), the Garmin data is good. I also note that I only have their US data, and I haven't seen what their

So, what I would recommend is that you go to the Garmin site and see if their level of map detail is acceptable. They also at least used to have more detailed data for national parks. If so, their map software might do it for you. Otherwise, you might want to look at other mapping software (e.g., National Geographic, Expertgps that Rootball mentioned) that at least "talks" to Garmin, and use that for downloading waypoints and trail data to your GPS.

Hope this helps,

Paul

#105345 - 11/01/08 08:22 PM Re: Question about GPS software... [Re: judach]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Hmmm... I think you need a new Garmin Colorado or Oregon series GPS.

My Colorado 300 has the features you're looking for. The Oregon has a touch screen like an iPhone. Both are pretty user-friendly (now that I have an instructional DVD from Cabela's, that is).

Eric

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum