Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#86908 - 01/11/08 08:58 AM Hiking boots
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
What is the length of time that a pair of hiking boots should last before replacement? I have the foot condition plantiar feseites (excuse the spelling).
I generally wear leather boots and put a cushion insole in them to help with the pain. I'm o.k. once I'm up and around but the first few steps in the morning are murder. I'm looking for a pair around $100 that will be used for 3 season hiking. the pair I have now are well broken in but afraid may be past their prime. Any recommendations?

#86909 - 01/11/08 09:12 AM Re: Hiking boots [Re: chaz]
Heber Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Can't help directly with your question about boots but I do know a bit about plantar fasciitis. For those who don't know this is not a foot "condition", like a bunion or something. It's an injury. There are small tears in the tissue that makes up the sole of the foot. If you don't let it heal it will eventually give you heel spurs and may require surgery.

Keep in mind I'm not a doctor, just a fellow hiker. You may need professional advice.

You pain in the morning with the "first few steps" it typical. What happens is that at night the plantar fascia shortens a little. When you put weight on it it stretches and causes those tears to re-open. This keeps healing from happening. The solution is to get a special sock to wear at night that keeps your toe closer to your knee. Take a look at http://www.thesock.com/ for an example. This keeps the plantar fascia stretched while you sleep so every morning you don't have new tearing going on.

The other piece of advice is to never take that first step in bare feet. Put your shoes (with good orthotics if needed) on while you sit before you get up.

I also think you'd be better off in running shoes (perhaps with orthotics) than in boots. They are lighter to hike with and generally better for your feet.

Just my 2 cents.

#86910 - 01/11/08 12:49 PM Re: Hiking boots [Re: Heber]
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Of all the people I've talked to about this condition. Yours is the only one that told me its an injury. No one told me about the tearing etc. I know that when I stay off my feet for a few days it gets better. Think I'll go for orthodics first. I was only thinking of boots for support with a backpack. So now it's time to think lighter with trekking poles. And try the sock. thanks...

#86911 - 01/12/08 08:19 PM Re: Hiking boots [Re: chaz]
billk Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I developed plantar fasciitis about a year and a half ago. I went to a Podiatrist who specializes in runners and walkers, and who is of the opinion that poor footwear is the cause of most foot problems. Not the cause of the injury itself, in the case of plantar fasciitis, but that wearing poor footwear over many years "sets you up" for foot problems.

Most shoes have some heel elevation, and many have a lot of toe spring (they turn up at the toe.) These allow the muscles at the back of the leg to shorten, and the same with the muscles and tendons at the front of the leg. Combined with a narrow toe box which pushes the big toe toward the other toes, these forces pull on the plantar fascia in opposing directions. Over a period of many years, that takes its toll. Note that this is my interpretation of what my doctor said...not his exact words. If you're interested, here's a link to his web site:

http://www.nwfootankle.com/

With his guidance, here's how I treated my plantar fasciitis: I taped the bottom of my foot like this, except I only used two pieces of tape, with a third piece going cross-wise under the arch to help the first two pieces stick:

http://heelspurs.com/tape.html

I also did stretching exercises for both the back and front of my leg(s), and bought larger, wider shoes, and wore sandals when I could. I also used silicone inserts for a while, to get my big toe separated from the others (there are supposed to be gaps between your toes.) This is a slow-healing injury, and I taped my foot for close to a year. I avoided arch support, and continue to do so. To his credit, my doctor offered me the more traditional treatment, consisting of orthotics, cortisone, and possible surgery as a last resort. I'm glad I didn't go that way. At this point, it's fairly well healed, although once in a great while I'll feel a little twinge.

I used to wear Superfeet insoles, thinking I was doing something good for my feet. Now, I'm inclined to think I was weakening them. In those days (pre-plantar fasciitis), when I occasionally went walking in sandals or sneakers, my feet would ache after about five miles, but were fine for much longer distances wearing boots with the Superfeet. Now, I no longer get the five-mile ache wearing sandals. For hiking, I have a pair of Merrell Radius low-cut trail shoes, and a pair of Keen Targhee mid-height boots, both a size larger than what I measure. Neither are perfect, but better than the Lowas I used before.

To try and answer your original question...the lightweight boots won't last as long as heavy leather boots, and often can't be resoled. How long any boots last depends on how often and where they're used, and how they're maintained. If your leather boots are the traditional, somewhat heavy, stiff, type, I'd consider a more flexible lightweight replacement. The Keen and Merrell shoes I mentioned might be worth a look.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but the subject pushes my buttons. I realize that everyone's feet are different, and some people may need arch support, etc., but there's a lot of B.S. in the footwear world, and a lot of conflicting information about plantar fasciitis. Or plantar fasciosis, as some doctors say it should be called.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum