I'm attaching a couple of pictures (links, I mean...problem with Photobucket) of one of my homemade packs, of course hoping you'll "ooh!" and "ahh!" appreciatively, but mainly in the hope that you'll have some suggestions. I'm thinking of making another one, maybe similar, but a bit lighter. The one in the picture weighs 41.7oz. and I've made another using lighter materials that weighs 36.4oz. I haven't used the lighter one much, due to an ill-advised shoulder strap experimentthat worked, but I didn't care for much, and it would be complicated to change it.

The pack pictured uses 330d Cordura for the back and bottom, 400d pack cloth for the rest. There's an extension collar made of 1.9oz. coated ripstop. The inside surface of the hipbelt and shoulder straps are a soft-shell fabric laminated to 1/2" closed cell foam. The back pad is the same fabric laminated to 1/8" closed cell foam. The lumbar pad is 330d Cordura, and the padding is 1/2" firm open cell foam laminated to 1/2" closed
cell foam, with a thin (about .032") piece of fiberglass PC board material behind it, to spread out the pressure of the aluminum stays. The stays are 1/2"x1/8" 7075-T6 aluminum, which is springy and takes a set less easily than the common 6061 alloy.

The lighter pack mentioned above is much the same, except 1.9oz ripstop instead of the 400d pack cloth, and the stays are 3/4" wide (this was before I discovered the 7075 aluminum), and 3/8" closed cell foam instead of 1/2".

So, I'm thinking of 1.9oz. silnylon for the main pack. Seattle Fabrics carries this - it's heavier than the silnylon used for tarps. It's actual weight is 2.3oz/sq. yd., slightly lighter than PU coated ripstop, a bit tougher, and not slippery. I have a piece of it, but it's bright yellow, and I'm not sure
I want a bright yellow pack. Leaning toward the light green.

Probably still going to use 330d Cordura for the back and bottom, but I'm open to suggestions here. Needs to be fairly sturdy, as the hipbelt and shoulder straps are sewn to it, and the bottom needs to be fairly abrasion resistant.

The V-stays work well, but I'm open to other ideas. My one experience with a frameless pack (Ray-Way style) leads me to believe that I probably won't be happy without something more than a rolled-up sleeping pad for a frame. One idea I've considered is a single vertical stay, with the shoulder straps attached higher and farther apart, like the Ray-Way pack, and no load lifters, since there'd be nothing to attach them to. My frameless pack experience wasn't all bad, though, so I haven't completely dismissed it.

Thinking of eliminating the top and side pockets, but with light material they don't add much more weight than the stow bags I'd have to use to store the little stuff. And they're much more convenient for things I want easy access to (raingear, TP, sunblock, etc.). I realize they're not stylish or hip smile

Also considering a roll-top closure if I eliminate the top pocket. Any thoughts on drawstring vs. drybag style closures?

The mesh used in the side and back pockets is fairly heavy at about 5oz./sq.yd. Lighter mesh might not be durable enough for water bottle pockets, so thinking of silnylon here, too. I have some powermesh (stretchy stuff) that I could use for the back mesh pocket and maybe eliminate the compression straps, replacing it with light bungee cord. I've seen it on commercial packs, but not sure of durability, and would be interested in your experiences with it.

I've noticed that both these packs tend to sag a bit, that is, the bottom sags below the lower edge of the hipbelt. Not a problem, really, it just bugs me a little. If the upper side pockets were eliminated, I could put a couple of angled compression straps there to maybe correct it. Somewhere I
saw side compression "straps" made from 1/8" nylon cord. Anybody done that?

The main compartment is 24"x12"x8". Thinking of making it smaller.

These packs have worked well, and are more comfortable than any commercial pack I've tried, although I've only tried the more modern ones in the store. The goal is to keep the comfort and ability to carry a heavier load if I ever feel the need, but reduce the weight as much as possible.

Long, windy post, I know...sorry.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/WilliiamGK/Tan%20pack-front_zpswmwgrqlp.jpg

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/WilliiamGK/Tan%20pack-back_zpsubkyuone.jpg

Edited by Bill Kennedy (04/15/18 02:59 PM)