Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107916 - 12/14/08 07:17 AM Light Leather Ankle Boots
JAK Offline

Not really a "Make Your Own Gear" question, but I'm rebuilding some boots. I just got my old gortex lined leather ankle boots restitched and they feel great, but are in serious need of traction so I am going to canabalize my trail runners. I will try and get a photo up. These ankle boots are a very light, and the leather is flexible but very durable, and the goretex liner seems to have held up well. They are pretty simple and weigh just under a pound each for size 12. There is a small leather logo on the back that reads H.M.O. and a small metal tag on the side that says "Goretex". I think I got them 25 years ago in Victoria BC around the time that Goretex first came out. Anyhow, I am going to try to resole them with my trail runners. The trail runners uppers hold too much water, but they have good traction. Not sure what rubber glue might be best for cold temperatures. Would Shoe Goo work?

Has anyone heard of H.M.O boots, from the early 1980s?

#107917 - 12/14/08 10:12 AM Re: Light Leather Ankle Boots [Re: JAK]
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Not sure if Shoe Goo works but if it's tenacious enough it very well may. I would grind to old sole down to where all the lugs are gone. I have a pair of boots that I like very much but are worn at the heel and the front leaving the arch area almost unworn. I have had shoes resoled in the past but have never had a rubber sole done. Another adhesive that I like very much is Goop. I use it for everything. Sold in Home Depot/Lowes etc. they used to carry several different kinds, eg. Plumber goop, outdoor goop. Now I only see Plumber goop. I think it is all the same product packaged for different markets. Let us know how your resole goes. I might try to do mine. Hey, I wonder if someone sells soles?

#107918 - 12/14/08 01:59 PM Re: Light Leather Ankle Boots [Re: chaz]
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
The strongest glue for what you propose is 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, known affectionately as "Yellow Peril". It is a single part contact adhesive with good flex. It is called "Yellow Peril" because you only have one chance to get the parts to be joined straight. If you missalign them, that's it. It will not release. There is no repositioning time. But when you join two things with it, they are joined until the sun goes out.

The second choice is what shoe repair shops use for attaching soles - a rubber-based, single part adhesive. Barge's Cement is probably the best.

In both cases, make sure the parts are super clean and then whack them together with a mallet after joining them. That is a very important step to insuring a good bond.

Goop and Shoe Goo are the same thing. They will peel off.

#107919 - 12/15/08 06:39 AM Re: Light Leather Ankle Boots [Re: Spock]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Or, you can just take them to a shoe repair and have them grind down the old soles and glue the new ones on. They also sell new soles. I had them do it on a pair of combat boots, and it only cost me around $45 with the new soles. You will have to find the local repair shop.

#107920 - 12/16/08 10:18 AM Re: Light Leather Ankle Boots [Re: finallyME]
robi Offline

Loc: budapest, hungary
I have made a few pair of shoes over the years.

go to your local cobbler, failing one, go to a shoe repair place, ASK them for enough glue to do the job. buy a new sole from them, clean both surfaces, apply glue, when tacky, stick the new soles to the boots, apply pressure, wait, and you are done with the glue is set and dry.

If you really want to canabilze the running shoes, go for it! If they do not match in size you will be fine if they are wider/longer.. you can whittle them down with a good sharp knife...

robi

#107921 - 12/16/08 10:33 AM Re: Light Leather Ankle Boots [Re: robi]
JAK Offline

Thanks for all the feedback and helpful suggestions.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum