Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
BackcountryGear.com
backcountry gear

---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Trip Plans, Reports & Inquiries
Jump to new posts Getting to the starting point of Camino de Santiag by walkingnatur @ Yesterday at 08:15 AM

We are starting the sacred way of Camino de Santiago! We chose to walk the Northern Way or Camino del Norte just because we have never been at the oceancoast and wanted to really feel how it's like to be close to ocean. And secondly, this way is know
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: backpacking cot under quilt? by IDK678 @ 01/22/19 09:35 PM

Well the Helinox cot lite comes in at around 2lbs 9oz. So that runs off most backpackers because of the weight. I like my cot because I its comfortable and I don't have to worry about puncturing it like a inflatable sleeping pad. The cot I use eas
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: backpacking cot under quilt? by Glenn Roberts @ 01/22/19 08:46 PM

You’re right - there aren’t many cot users (at least not in the Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky area where I hike.) I’ve seen one, and I’ve been backpacking from a long time before cots were available. Since most of us aren’t familiar with cot campi
Off Topic: All-in-One
Jump to new posts Re: New members by JustWalking @ 01/22/19 07:32 PM

I read a story recently about a test given various age groups to determine which age group was more susceptible to 'fake news'. Turns out it was the older folks, not the younger folks, who were more likely not to be able to 'separate fact from bullcr
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: backpacking cot under quilt? by IDK678 @ 01/22/19 07:15 PM

The under quilt I want will hang under my cot so my body weight will not be compressing it but will provide a barrier between me and the air space between the underside of my cot and the ground. Think of it as a small hammock. Same rules apply real
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: backpacking cot under quilt? by IDK678 @ 01/22/19 07:12 PM

I did contact Goosefeet gear and he said he would give it a shot but couldn't get to it till May. I'll be getting him the measurements and pictures of my cot so he can quote me a price. Thank you so much for the suggestion.
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: backpacking cot under quilt? by OregonMouse @ 01/22/19 04:38 PM

As mentioned above, the underquilt insulation will compress under your body weight and will not be very insulating. An inflatable insulated pad sounds like your best bet. The "R" rating should be 5 or above for cold weather. Don't pump
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: backpacking cot under quilt? by snapper @ 01/22/19 01:52 PM

Don't assume that an underquilt will be less weight than a pad. I have a 20 F underquilt that comes in at 15 oz. from a well known manufacturer and I have full length pads that weight less than that. As to the packability issue, that may be true
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: backpacking cot under quilt? by Petro1234 @ 01/22/19 01:32 PM

Id go for sometning on top. Trouble with the camp bed and inflating mats is that they go hard when you lie on them due to the pressure. This mat is 5 mm thick and small. Not too tough though, trim the sides and fold it it should be quite small. htt
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: backpacking cot under quilt? by Bill Kennedy @ 01/22/19 01:20 AM

Goosefeet Gear says they'll make custom stuff. Just Google the name...not sure if it's OK to include a link. Or, if you have a sewing machine, making a rectangular underquilt using synthetic insulation like Climashield Apex would be easy. Or, find
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: backpacking cot under quilt? by Glenn Roberts @ 01/21/19 10:44 PM

What about the Klymit Inertia pads? The full-length X-Frame weighs 8 ounces and has a 3x6 inch packed size; the short (42-inch length) X-Lite weighs 5.5 ounces and has a 2.5x5.5 inch packed size (you could use your empty pack to insulate your lower l
Backcountry Health & Safety
Jump to new posts Re: Band Aid Hydro Seal bandages by Jimshaw @ 01/21/19 10:21 PM

I try to carry a large hydogel burn bandage camping. Any injury can be covered with this artificial skin and it will heal very quickly, even scrapes. Jim
Backcountry Gadgets
Jump to new posts Re: aluminum vs titanium pots. by Jimshaw @ 01/21/19 10:18 PM

I dearly love my titanium pots and I have learned to cook in them, but if you have something that can scorch easily an aluminum pan a bit thicker does a better job of distributing the heat in the metal. like at home doing some sauces you want a heavy
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: backpacking cot under quilt? by balzaccom @ 01/21/19 10:08 PM

If it compacts easily it will do so under the weight of your body...
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: backpacking cot under quilt? by IDK678 @ 01/21/19 08:49 PM

Because I am looking for something more packable and light weight.
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: backpacking cot under quilt? by Glenn Roberts @ 01/21/19 08:38 PM

Why not just lay a closed-cell pad on top of it? And, by the way, welcome to the forums.
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts backpacking cot under quilt? by IDK678 @ 01/21/19 08:14 PM

I have a Helinox cot lite that I take backpacking. I have noticed that its pretty much like a small hammock when it gets cold out with air traveling under my cot I freeze. I was wondering if anyone knows somebody that makes custom under quilts that
Jump to new posts Re: New members by Bill Kennedy @ 01/21/19 03:32 PM

Welcome...and you're just a kid
Backcountry Beginners
Jump to new posts Re: Zero Drop Boots by Bill Kennedy @ 01/21/19 03:30 PM

I'm certainly not an expert, but I doubt that anyone is, since everyone's feet are different, and people seem to have wildly different experiences with the same shoes. I have used the Altras, though, the Lone Peak 3.5, and like them a lot. They're p
Backcountry Beginners
Jump to new posts Zero Drop Boots by DaveLemen @ 01/21/19 09:43 AM

Hey all! I'm new here, and to backpacking generally. Actually, in full disclosure, I'm not even a backpacker yet. Just a day-hiker. But curious about doing longer hikes. I've had a pair of Timberland boots for a while and the sole has worn throug
Jump to new posts Re: New members by DaveLemen @ 01/21/19 08:51 AM

Hey all. As someone just looking to test the water with backpacking, I've been lurking here for a bit. I was originally going to comment here that there are some younger guys joining the forum... but with your line being at 50 (which I turn later
Backcountry Photography Discussion
While the Z7 is 300 grams lighter, I would need 2 spare batteries AND the Nikon F lens adapter, thus eliminating all the weight advantages anyways. From 36 to 45 MP isn't really much of an upgrade either, while the EVF and AF system certainly is a d
Backcountry Photography Discussion
As best as I can tell a Z7 upgrade would net a 3/4 pound weight loss and a pretty big resolution increase. I'm hesitant to dive into a brand new system in the first generation. If I were starting from the beginning I'd look at an A7RIII and a few ke
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Staying alive in a winter storm by tramp @ 01/20/19 03:07 PM

Stay warm,stay dry and stay hydrated. Someone is looking for you.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Our NPS--very sad by tramp @ 01/20/19 03:04 PM

And hand written letters mean business. An e-mail is easy.....take the time and effort the subject deserves.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
backpacking cot under quilt?
by IDK678
01/21/19 08:14 PM
Couple Packing for the Camino de Santiago
by walkingnatur
01/19/19 08:41 AM
light and durable bottle for backpacking
by Mbphoto
01/18/19 08:05 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Staying alive in a winter storm
by balzaccom
01/09/19 03:58 PM
Clarence King
by balzaccom
01/01/19 10:08 AM
MSR 11 oz fuel bottle packing
by Marksfps
12/28/18 04:49 PM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Breakneck Ridge, New York
May 2012 Eclipse, Lassen Park
New Years Eve 2011
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
IDK678, aimlesswonde, Mbphoto, Terasec, hill axel
12688 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum