Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
BackcountryGear.com
backcountry gear

---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Trip Plans, Reports & Inquiries
Jump to new posts Arizona and the Mojave by balzaccom @ Today at 11:24 AM

Because M's foot is still causing her considerable discomfort, we have been focused less on hiking, more on camping. Thus this trip: Day One: Off for our usual long drive through Tehachapi, stopping for lunch at the Harris Ranch café and spending t
Make Your Own Gear!
Jump to new posts Re: ideas for a dry bag for a small travel guitar by Bill Kennedy @ Today at 05:14 AM

If you sew, you could design and make one (400d pack cloth would probably be my choice), but you'd have to use either a waterproof zipper or make a dry bag style closure at the large end. And spend plenty of time sealing all the seams. I once made a
Long-Distance Hiking
Jump to new posts Re: Hiking Solo by MountainMinstrel @ Today at 12:08 AM

I hike solo a lot, but it is usually less that 5 days. This year I'm hiking the JMT solo taking 21-22 days. The advantage to the JMT is that I do not have to be alone while having complete freedom to do whatever I feel like doing on any given day. I
Make Your Own Gear!
Jump to new posts Re: ideas for a dry bag for a small travel guitar by BZH @ Yesterday at 04:38 PM

Maybe a DIY Cuben stuff sack. I've never purchased/assembled one of these kits, but a quick search turned up this: https://yamamountaingear.com/products/dyneema-stuff-sack-kit
Make Your Own Gear!
Jump to new posts ideas for a dry bag for a small travel guitar by MountainMinstrel @ Yesterday at 04:14 PM

Hi all. I'm going to be doing the JMT this year and bought a Washburn Rover to take with me. I would like to make a drybag with a bit of padding in the bottom (thinking blue foam pad) to protect the guitar in case of deep water crossings or the possi
Trip Plans, Reports & Inquiries
Jump to new posts Green Forest day and the Camino Burnout! by walkingnatur @ 03/23/19 02:25 PM

On the day 8 of our Camino de Santiago del Norte we did 27 kms going from Markina-Xemein to the Gernika village. We got up to the beautiful sunny morning in the little forest above the highway that we found yesterday night. The night was extremely
General Discussion
Senior moment😀. You have the names right!
Biking / Cycling
Jump to new posts Re: Single Speed by bmxbobby @ 03/20/19 03:48 PM

Inexpensive is always an issue when it comes to good bmx bikes. I would recommend checking it out a community with a more of a diy type of approach, such as: https://www.bmx-forum.com/forums/bmx-bike-tech.20/ I think there will be one or another chea
General Discussion
Pika, I, too, have spend many nights in the Rincons, beginning in 1967. I recognize all your references to water sources except for two. Is Italy Camp the same as Italian Spring? And is Cedar Basin also known as Juniper Basin? If not, it looks l
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Backpacking Jacket -- Help me get my head right by Lonerock @ 03/20/19 12:30 PM

For the eight years I lived at Lake Tahoe I had a down vest and a waterproof shell and they handled most situations. I had summer work so most of my hiking/backing trips at higher elevations around the lake were during the late summer and fall.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Getting Sponsored? by Scribe247 @ 03/20/19 12:12 PM

Has anyone deigned to go on a thru-hike after being sponsored by a gear company? I remember reading about the possibility way back, but I'm not sure how pragmatic it is to take the time to try to get free gear before a hike. I ended up tossing a lot
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Full Body Yoga Stretching Routine after Hiking by walkingnatur @ 03/20/19 09:29 AM

In today's video I will share with you my favourite full body yoga stretching routine. This is a compilation of the different yoga postures that I find to be the most effective to release the sore muscles. I love doing it several times a week while I
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Backpacking Jacket -- Help me get my head right by Bill Kennedy @ 03/20/19 03:53 AM

Originally Posted By Cal_Hawkeye So far, I do think I want something with a decently tough and water resistant shell so that I can skip bringing an outer hard shell. You still need a rain shell, so a "tough and water resistant shell"
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Backpacking Jacket -- Help me get my head right by Cal_Hawkeye @ 03/20/19 12:42 AM

Thanks. For the cheap down route, I might look at Uniqlo since I like their stuff and it's very affordable. I should say that if I went on a trip today, the coat that I would take would be a Marmot Novus Hoody, which is a 40g/m2 synthetic fill jack
Lite Gear Talk
If you're worried about down failing at the slightest hint of moisture, try washing your sleeping bag sometime in the bath tub. It is darn tough to "wet out" down. For the Sierra's I bring a cheap down coat I got off of Amazon. It is sim
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Backpacking Jacket -- Help me get my head right by Cal_Hawkeye @ 03/19/19 04:16 PM

I'm trying to decide on a warm (maybe 60 - 100g/m2), packable insulated jacket to take with me on backpacking trips (solo in some cases) deep into the Sierras or other remote, mountainous destinations. I know there is a lot of info on this and I've
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backpacking Jacket -- Help me get my head right
by Cal_Hawkeye
03/19/19 04:16 PM
Why are manufacturers expanding there ranges ?
by Petro1234
03/06/19 09:20 AM
"Weekend" Backpacker footwear - Merrell?
by bhss89
02/24/19 05:29 PM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Getting Sponsored?
by Scribe247
03/20/19 12:12 PM
Full Body Yoga Stretching Routine after Hiking
by walkingnatur
03/20/19 09:29 AM
Alpine Lakes Wilderness
by toddfw2003
03/11/19 11:32 PM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
ideas for a dry bag for a small travel guitar
by MountainMinstrel
04:14 PM
Bamboo Spoon
by 4evrplan
03/09/19 11:48 AM
DIY pot cover/bag
by mira.mikes
02/24/19 03:52 AM
Featured Photos
Breakneck Ridge, New York
May 2012 Eclipse, Lassen Park
New Years Eve 2011
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 31 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
hammer43, Scribe247, davidhiker8b, jamesolivia, bmxbobby
12725 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum