Howdy from Texas

Posted by: ChiefBilly

Howdy from Texas - 02/16/16 12:06 PM

hello all, new member here. I have never backpacked before but grew up in the outdoors. I am 45 and suffer from RA. I finally got a handle on this terrible disease and feel great! I have always wanted to hike and backpack and decided why wait. I talked my wife into accompanying me. We purchased hiking shoes this past weekend and are going to a local spot this weekend. I am so excited, I cant wait. Just wanted to introduce myself. Billy, 22 year Disabled Navy Veteran. Purchasing Supervisor for a political subdivision of the State of Texas. Glad to be here and read all of this wealth of information.

Billy
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Howdy from Texas - 02/16/16 12:42 PM

Welcome! I'm a fellow Texan (and state employee). A college friend of mine lives with RA. Terrible disease. I hope it all works out great for you.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Howdy from Texas - 02/16/16 01:03 PM

What part of Texas, Billy? Welcome aboard, and glad you are charging ahead!

Paul

Re: Howdy from Texas - 02/16/16 01:19 PM

I live in Burleson and work in Fort Worth. heading to the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge Trails next week. Cant wait!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Howdy from Texas - 02/16/16 03:17 PM

Welcome! Let us know how the trip goes (we have a section below for trip reports)! Have a good time!
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Howdy from Texas - 02/16/16 03:29 PM

Welcome. Lots of good people here to help you get where you want to go. Have a great hike, and let us know how it goes.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Howdy from Texas - 02/16/16 05:44 PM

Ahoy, matey! As ex-Air Force (3 years, not a career), I was hoping you could explain the difference between a "ship" and a "boat." Every Navy guy I ever met seemed offended if I asked what kind of boat he was on. smile

Sounds like you've achieved a real success. One minor tip from someone who made the mistake of letting my wife go on a trip with me because someone else talked her into it - pick a trip she'll enjoy (and "enjoy" is a matter of perspective.) I tried to convince Karol not to go on a moderately difficult trip with a real mixed bag of OCD and control-freak personalities; she let her friend (latter category) talk her into it, and she ended up taking two trips the same weekend: first and last.

Get her hooked on her first trip, then build up to the harder stuff (if you want - there's no requirement that you ever do really hard trips. That's the neatest part of this sport -you can make it fit your needs and desires, not vice versa.)

Welcome, have fun, and ask lots of questions. We can mislead you with the best of them. And don't forget my definition. smile

Re: Howdy from Texas - 02/16/16 09:51 PM

Billy, you have tons of hiking sites from which to choose! In Dallas County, search "Dallas County Nature Preserves". I take care of one with 6 miles of trails. There are three more near here (south part of the county) with yet more hiking. In Ft. Worth there is the Trinity Trail along Trinity Park near Botanical Gardens. So many day hikes near you! Take it slow, learn about trail runner shoes, maybe consider trekking poles.
Posted by: toddfw2003

Re: Howdy from Texas - 02/16/16 10:17 PM

Hey I am from Houston. There is a lot of stuff in between us Like Davy Crockett and Sam houston national forest. If you want to drive lost maples is really nice too

Re: Howdy from Texas - 02/17/16 09:24 AM

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Ahoy, matey! As ex-Air Force (3 years, not a career), I was hoping you could explain the difference between a "ship" and a "boat." Every Navy guy I ever met seemed offended if I asked what kind of boat he was on. smile

Sounds like you've achieved a real success. One minor tip from someone who made the mistake of letting my wife go on a trip with me because someone else talked her into it - pick a trip she'll enjoy (and "enjoy" is a matter of perspective.) I tried to convince Karol not to go on a moderately difficult trip with a real mixed bag of OCD and control-freak personalities; she let her friend (latter category) talk her into it, and she ended up taking two trips the same weekend: first and last.

Get her hooked on her first trip, then build up to the harder stuff (if you want - there's no requirement that you ever do really hard trips. That's the neatest part of this sport -you can make it fit your needs and desires, not vice versa.)

Welcome, have fun, and ask lots of questions. We can mislead you with the best of them. And don't forget my definition. smile

Ha Ha Boats are what the coast guard use, little bitty things. Ships are mighty warfighting vessels to be proud of. I bet you see now how you offended them LOL Thanks for the wifey tip. I have actually thought of that, I have chosen a nice flat trail with lots to see to include the bison area. Make it enjoyable for us both and work up to steeper stuff later. Its all about being together for us, we are never apart and I wouldn't have it any other way. I enjoy spending this short life with her, she is my best friend, So I certainly don't want to scare her off hiking with me. Thanks for ALL the replies, I feel very welcome here already!

Billy

Re: Howdy from Texas - 02/17/16 09:25 AM

Originally Posted By toddfw2003
Hey I am from Houston. There is a lot of stuff in between us Like Davy Crockett and Sam houston national forest. If you want to drive lost maples is really nice too

I been eyeballing that Sam Houston hike. I may do that in sections. Looks like tons of fun.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Howdy from Texas - 02/17/16 09:47 AM

Lost Maples is one of my favorite places on God's green earth!

ChiefBilly (or anyone really), if you want to come to Davy Crockett at some point and want to meet up for a hike, you should let me know. Just send me a private message (PM).
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Howdy from Texas - 02/17/16 03:58 PM

So THAT's the difference! Huh. We just called them all "Targets." (I've been waiting a long time to use that one. smile )

Sounds like you've got what you want out of our little sport figured out. (I often hesitate to call backpacking a "sport" because it makes it sound competitive, but I haven't figured out any better description.)

Enjoy, don't forget to file trip reports, and keep us posted on any tips and tricks you figure out.

Re: Howdy from Texas - 02/17/16 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By 4evrplan

Lost Maples is one of my favorite places on God's green earth!

ChiefBilly (or anyone really), if you want to come to Davy Crockett at some point and want to meet up for a hike, you should let me know. Just send me a private message (PM).

Awesome! Will do.

Re: Howdy from Texas - 02/18/16 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By Dryer
Billy, you have tons of hiking sites from which to choose! In Dallas County, search "Dallas County Nature Preserves". I take care of one with 6 miles of trails. There are three more near here (south part of the county) with yet more hiking. In Ft. Worth there is the Trinity Trail along Trinity Park near Botanical Gardens. So many day hikes near you! Take it slow, learn about trail runner shoes, maybe consider trekking poles.

Thanks Paul! I'm going to do that Dallas County search right now.

Re: Howdy from Texas - 02/18/16 11:53 PM

I take care of "Windmill Hill Nature Preserve". Let me know if you decide to come here. I'll guide you. grin

Re: Howdy from Texas - 02/19/16 09:45 AM

Originally Posted By Dryer
I take care of "Windmill Hill Nature Preserve". Let me know if you decide to come here. I'll guide you. grin

Awesome! Ill take you up on that.