Please help me identify this mystery pack!!

Posted by: bluegummyott

Please help me identify this mystery pack!! - 09/18/15 12:44 AM

I just picked it up at a Goodwill store today and I can't figure out what it is... Men's? Women's? Kids'? Brand seems to be generic (I haven't found a single logo on it yet). The waist strap padding seems to be less than on the previous pack I used, but at $13, it was too good of a deal to pass up. The design and materials do seem to be a little bit dated compared to most of the packs I see these days, but still, what a deal. It even comes with a built in rain cover.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2cpp7dsuICZbmcxejlFbnh1S0E&usp=sharing

images on google drive because I can't seem to upload images.

Thanks much!
Cheers!
Posted by: aimless

Re: Please help me identify this mystery pack!! - 09/18/15 02:09 PM

That pack bears a lot of similarity to an off-brand generic pack I bought in 2003 at a local sporting goods store, although mine had a logo: Infinity. It was made in China, as so many packs are, but the distributor was located in Canada, as I recall. It cost me $45 new.

On mine the built-in rain cover was stored in a zippered pocket on the bottom of the pack. Eventually the metal zipper corroded and broke.

I still own it and I use it occasionally, when I need to haul a heavier load than I normally do. It stays fairly comfortable up to about 40 lbs.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Please help me identify this mystery pack!! - 09/18/15 05:58 PM

Yeah, it looks vaguely Gregoryesque and is likely a discount store knockoff. So long as the stitching, zippers, fabrics, buckles, etc. are of decent quality and it's not too heavy, it should be a serviceable pack. It looks little used if at all.

Cheers,
Posted by: bluegummyott

Re: Please help me identify this mystery pack!! - 09/18/15 07:54 PM

@aimless and @Rick_D
Thank you both for the quick replies! I'll take it out for a spin sometime and see what happens. Worst case, duct tape, right?

Cheers!
Posted by: packlite

Re: Please help me identify this mystery pack!! - 09/19/15 11:10 AM

Looks like an early to mid 2000's Mountainsmith pack to me. Look for a large patch size area where there may be a shadow or needle holes where the patch was once located.

Just a guess - based entirely on the design and colors.