Shoulder Girth

Posted by: NitroSteel

Shoulder Girth - 08/23/08 02:01 PM

Is 59" of girth enough. (WM Apache). 5'10", 190 lbs.

I'm just not sure how big of a bag to buy. I know not to buy one "too" big, but I'm not sure how big that is. It is about 50" around my shoulders if I broaden them up as much as possible. As far as the mid section goes, I'm not too worried. I just don't want to feel like I'm in a straight-jacket.

I wish there were somewhere that had WM bags in stock close to me, but it's over 3 hours in all directions to find a 59, 64, 66 inch girth bag.

Thank ya'll.

NitroSteel
Posted by: NitroSteel

Re: Shoulder Girth - 08/23/08 03:10 PM

One last thought, I was in a Mountain Hardwear Lamina bag a few months ago it was I believe 62" cut. It seemed plenty tight. How does the HM bag's "cut" compare to that of the Western Mountaineering bags?
Posted by: DJ2

Re: Shoulder Girth - 08/24/08 08:15 AM

Sounds too tight to me.

The distance around my shoulders is also about 50" and my 60" Feathered Friends Swallow bag is too tight for me.

Having a bag that is too tight isn't just uncomfortable, it reduces the bag's warmth too. When my arms and shoulders press outward it creates cold spots.

I switched to a Montbell stretchable bag and it works better for me. Plenty of room but still warm and light.