base layer

Posted by: rom may-dan

base layer - 03/31/16 03:07 PM

hi guys
i am going in april to the everst base camp trek in nepal (45f-20f)(7c--7)
i bought today this shirt and pants and this shirt in a local shop
when i got home i saw that they are for skiing and not backpacking
i have 3 questions
1. will those be fine for trecking for someone who tend to have jock itch?
2. does ski gear can be used for backpacking?
3. will these pants be too warm for me ?(i hate when its hot)
thank you and sorry for my bad English
Posted by: bluefish

Re: base layer - 03/31/16 03:39 PM

The bottoms I haven't seen, the shirt I use. Both are probably in the same weight category. For me, the shirt is a little warm if layered under a fleece when it's above 20. BUT, I live in a cold environment and spend a lot of time in the temps you stated. At worst, they would make good sleepwear. I imagine you'll have windchill factors to deal with, so I wouldn't think they are too much. The downside is they are nasty when you wet them out with sweat. For a trek of that magnitude you might want to think of a Merino wool base layer. Expensive, but considering the trip-worth it. If you are in really good shape and don't sweat much, you may be fine.
Posted by: rom may-dan

Re: base layer - 03/31/16 03:57 PM

thank you for the quick answer
the trip is very soon and i need to buy localy the shirt
can you tell me company that make merino shirts
i found only ice breaker everyday will it be enough for 0 degree with fleece and softshell?
Posted by: bluefish

Re: base layer - 03/31/16 04:51 PM

Ice breaker is what I'm familiar with- if you mean 0 degreesF, maybe, but that depends on your metabolism. If I'm walking and carrying a pack; the base layer, a fleece and wind shell does it for me. I do need to regulate my temperature with a beanie or balaclava and headband, maybe a face mask if the wind is howling. I can also open the neck on the fleece and windshell if needed. It's when you stop at that temp that'll be the tough part. You may want to bring a down puffy or synthetic light jacket to throw on at stops and in the morning/evening. I imagine it'll be pretty cold in the early mornings. Having only been to 14k mountains in the US, I hope I'm not giving you bad advice. Perhaps someone with experience higher and in the Himalayas can chime in.