I have been reading a lot of information on this web site and soaking up most of it. It seems like the majority of the topics are related to alpine hiking. I am interested in the requirements of hiking in a dessert environment. I am going to the Grand Canyon in late August for a rafting / hiking trip. In no way will it be a true backpacking experience since it is a commercially guided trip and everything including meals will be provided. All I have to do is set up my own tent and sleeping arrangements.

With that said, the grand finally of the trip is a 4400 VF hike out with all my personal gear. I turn 50 on the day we hit the river at Lee's Fairy and have been on the fitness roller coaster for most of my life. This has given me a goal and I have been on a mission for the past 6 months. I have been swimming laps, riding a stationary bike in a spin class 3 days per week, and for the last two months I have been hiking with backpack 3 days per week. I have increased my pack weight gradually and am up to 26 lbs and doing 3.5 miles over rough terrain and hills.

I live in Central Texas and I can't duplicate the 4400 VF, but we do have hills and very very hot weather. My goal is to be able to do this trip and not let my physical limitations be a factor. I want to totally absorb and thoroughly enjoy the experience. I plan to do a 10 mile hike with 50% more weight than my target, before the trip.

My question is; is there anything else that I can (should) do over the next 6 weeks to increase my trail readiness?

P.S. I lived and backpacked in AK in the late 70's and all of this has given me the bug again. I still have my Kelty frame pack and down bag from then. I am at a point in my life where I have the resources to be able to travel to some nice places and be properly equipped, as opposed to the way we went about it in the 70's.