Every time I go hiking, I almost always get blessed with seeing something unique. The other day I was hiking The Rough Trail a roughly 5 mile loop to Grays Arch and I ran into this.

This type of fungi is called laetiporus cincinnatus. It is a type of species of fungi known as Chicken Of The Woods." This specific species, of COTW I was told was uncommon.

I e-mailed a few of these pics to someone with a great deal of knowledge of fungi and mushrooms, and he said that it was unusual to see this, at this time of the year. Apparently this type is known to come around late summer early fall.

He asked if he could use the pics for research and slides, and I of course said sure. I like contributing to science. He also referred me to some other experts, and said he was going to pass the pics to others who have knowledge in this field.

I'm grateful that God lets me see some of the earth's oddities. This was located right along the trail and stuck out from everything else on the forest floor.

Feel free to post pics of the unusual you have found when exploring.

Tom