Quote:
Are there REALLY this many people on this forum using bivys & tarps?

Why not a lighter, well ventilated 1 person single wall tarp/tent shelter W/ sewn-in floor?
To me bivys are for winter use in snow shelters. The only bivy material I'd consider is eVent. Everything else, even the best Gore-Tex, has too much condensation, especially for down bags.

Eric
Yeah, I'm totally into bivy and poncho/tarp. It's not lighter because I use a 2 pound CF gortex bivy, but I love the versatility and openness and freedom of crashing just about anywhere, the whole sleeping like a deer thing. Haven't dealt with severe bugs yet.

The exception is when I hike with my daughter in summer I bring her small tent, just barely big enough for the two of us but very comfortable for her and, and uncomfortable enough for me to stay alert. If anyone is going to get their feet poked at it will be me. With her along you see I am worried about stuff like West Nile and Lyme disease, but also bears. Bears are not a serious threat here in New Brunswick, but with a child so small you never know. They eat young moose, so why not? It's not like the nylon would stop a bear. I just feel better knowing she is zipped in and less likely to roll off into harms way. I'm hoping this is a language that bears understand; 'I'm keeping my kid close, don't mess with me.' I also try to smell a lot louder than she does. That ain't difficult, but I avoid using stuff on her like lemon flavoured bug spray. This just seems right. Not alot of real data on such things. Never enough.