Barry:

Great tips. After having been thru several hurricanes & hurricane scares and seeing that mob hysteria at the stores, having a stash of food is not a bad idea.

Say you had that year's supply of rice onhand, you'll have missed the insanity at the store of the rice hording in the past month.

Interesting news tip here in South Florida is the collective local governments' announcement that they won't be doling out ice or cases of 12oz. bottled waters the day after a 'cane, like they did in '05 after even minimal Wilma. Instead, they spent the money helping fund all grocery stores down here getting generators, so these yahoos that got in line THE NEXT DAY after the 'cane can do what they SHOULD be doing -- BUYING the stuff they had neglected to purchase beforehand. A shockingly enlighted policy change.

Now that I've got the nice A/C storage unit, I've got a place to keep that supply of properly packaged foods -- bought at a discount as you suggest -- that I can store next to my down sleeping bags hanging in their new cotton-sheet cassocks.

I've got a question: Did you grow that wheat? Or buy it, uh, recently thrashed?? I get this pic of you with this grist mill with a big stone wheel run by a windmill grinding wheat like I saw in GSMNP -- how exactly do you do it?

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)