I took my parents to Cabela's the other day and browsed around the camouflage clothing section, mostly out of curiousity. I came across a shirt that had a very beautiful printed pattern... it was an almost photographic rendition of pine branches on a tan background, with some out-of-focus branches mixed in for a nice effect. It looked so colorful & artisitc I was tempted to buy one just to wear on the street.

That got me thinking: Why is normal hiking gear - clothing, packs, shelter, everything - so plain? We could potentially have any color and pattern we want on any of our gear; instead, all we have is the "action figure" clothing that people end up wearing when they shop at REI too much. People like a wide variety of styles, and I bet most people get turned off by the present choices. There ought to be more out there to choose from.

Picture it: You're on your favorite trail and pass by a camp of hippies with tie-die silnylon tents. A yuppie couple walks by with money-dripping packs you swear came straight from Nordstrom. You see a bunch of Goths with high-performance clothes that look as depressing as the expressions on their faces. A dog runs by with zebra striped packbags. Your hiking staff matches your rasta hat.

Anybody agree with this? Do we as hikers deserve more style? Do any gear manufacturers care?