Well, I kinda think that's gonna depend on you. In my case I just got out of the Marine Corps and wanted to buy new light weight gear. But the sticker shock (and my budget) knocked me back. So I decided to roll my own. I found I like to make things and enjoyed making my own gear, exactly like I wanted it. Been doing this stuff for over twenty years now and am finally making gear full time. So you have to find out if this is something you like to do, or not.

Is it cost-effective? Initially, probably not. You can spend as much, if not more getting set up to make that super light bag or pack than it would cost you off the shelf. But if you find you enjoy doing it and/or are pretty good at it, over time you will see a significant savings.

Getting started is fairly simple. A home sewing machine, some tools and supplies, and some materials are all you need. You also have the benefit of a vast amount of information available on how to make gear these days. Getting over the learning curve is a fairly painless process.

I started out by reverse-engineering simple stuff, like pouches and working up to things like full expedition packs. Get trashed-out gear, take it apart and study how it's made. Make copies until you have the techniques down, then branch out into your own designs. My wife always teased me about having taken out more thread than I ever put in. Until recently, she was probably right.

In the end, it's up to you whether this sewing business is for you or not. I find it fascinating to take a roll of raw material and turn it into something useful, like a pack. Sewing technology never ceases to amaze me. But just like anything else, it's probably not for everybody.