Just recently I pulled out Mom's sewing machine and basically started all over. I have used sewing machines when I was young (preteen or younger), but that just gave me the confidence that I can sew if I want to.

I followed the instructions in the manual and figured out how to get everything set up. So it is possible to learn by yourself (though I'm sure it's easier if you have someone to show you.)

I made a stuff sack, then made a hammock (4 straight lines, so pretty easy). Then made 3 more hammocks, and 3 more stuff sacks. This is a hammock and sack for myself, my fiance, my sister's birthday present, and for a friend who is going to pay for the materials.

Financially, if I were to purchase a comparable hammock, it would be about $50, and cost me $20 to make (probably closer to $17). So on the four hammocks I have saved about $120. I was able to borrow the sewing machine (it's portable, so not too bad), but I would have purchased one of the $100 WalMart ones otherwise.

Next up is going to be a pair of backpacks, since my fiance and I need some. I also want to try making some quilts (some to sell and some for camping).

So, financially, I end up ahead. This is mostly because I have more time than money. It doesn't hurt that I was able to borrow a sewing machine instead of purchasing one.
Hobby-wise, I enjoy making things, so this works really well for me.

As far as a learning curve, it was easy for me to start with straight line projects and I am in the process of moving to some more complicated projects. Even the backpack pattern that I'm looking at appears to be a series of straight lines, just more of them.

Wow, that's a long reply, hope there's something helpful in there!