Quote:
Is it indeed a cost savings to sew your own gear?

Depends on how you look at it. I don't sew my own stuff for a 'cost savings'. I like the flexibility of 'customized' equipment/clothing that you simply can't buy off the shelf. You can control the quality right down to the stitch. You can target functionality without lots of extras that do nothing. However, when you figure your time and trouble into the equation, home made gear is probably much more expensive than store bought.

Quote:
Worth learning to sew?

Oh, heck yes!!! It's habit forming and one of the handiest things you can do!
Even the cheapest Walmart machines will do good work these days. Find yourself a privately owned 'sew and vac' shop in your area. Buy a basic machine that does straight, zig-zag, reverse, and you'll be good to go. They sometimes throw in some lessons for free. Ask around in your family...you might find a free one. Watch garage sales for thread and other notions. I bought a lifetime supply of really serious quilting thread and serger cones (thread for sergers but will work on standard machines) for $5!!! Got my serger at a garage sale....a good one too.
Craigslist is another good place to get a machine but if you don't know what your looking at, you can end up with someone else's headache.