I own a GPSlim240 which I've used in all sorts of hiking situations. The only times I don't get a lock are under overpasses, in tunnels, or in seriously tight box canyons (think Utah). Under virtually all forest canopy it still gives a position with a DOP of less than 5. This unit by Freedom appears to have specs that exceed mine, and a quick Google search of the user reviews for it seem to bear out that observation. The MTK chipset seems to be one of the latest and greatest - I'll go out on a limb and say that it should perform at least as well as any standalone GPS, and probably outperform all but the pro surveying models.

The only gripe I have about these bluetooth GPS devices is the battery life. I'm a breadcrumber - I like to see where I've hiked, how many miles I've gone, and be able to drop a waypoint when I stop to shoot pictures. 8-10 hours isn't much if you're doing this. If you use it more like a compass (turn it on, take a sighting and turn it off) then that should be sufficient. Otherwise you'll have to come up with a power cable or portable charger to use this on the trail. Be forewarned, some units cannot be charged and used at the same time! I had to mod the GPSlim240 because of that. The unit must now be plugged in to use it.

The nice part of going through this much trouble is a typical 800 mAh cell phone battery can power one of these GPS units for four 8-hour days. The Freedom GPS 2000 appears to use significantly more power though - it might only work for three days. If you take the trouble to build a high capacity LiPo power pack, it not only powers/charges your GPS, but also your PDA/Cell Phone and Camera/Camcorder. Using the GPS for 8 hours and the PDA for 12, I can stay out for a week before needing a charge.

Hope that helps with your decision.