Quote:
I was looking at freezerbagcooking.com and they suggested cooking the macaroni and then dehydrating it. Is that necessary? It seems redundant. Perhaps they were talking about some special kind of macaroni? It seems like the box stuff ought to work just fine if you add boiling water.

I tried pasta twice. First I tried FBC straight up and got a gloppy mess. Then I tried boiling and got a gloppy mess. I then dehydrated some cooked pasta, rehydrated it, and had no problems, it was like I fixed it on the stove at home. Maybe this is a sign of my inexperience cooking on the trail, but I think it worked better cooked then dehydrated, or maybe I'm just pickier about the texture of my food than others.

I've tried Annie's white mac n cheese sauce with a little packet of tuna. Not bad. Some cayenne puts a bit of punch in it.

You can get single serve packets of butter, oil, honey and all kinds of other things at minimus.biz. I've also snitched them at fast food places - KFC has butter and honey packets.

http://hikeandbackpack.com