Quote:
...My main phobia about that [aside from the obvious acrophobia] was the notion of being roped together with other people. A couple of my friends died on Rainier as a result of their leader falling and pulling them off the mountain. [The others died in an avalanche in Alaska]. I guess I fear being dependent one someone else's skill and judgment. Do you ever feel that way?

I think this is wholly reasonable. I find that the level of trust necessary in a climbing partnership is really amazing. It took a long time to develop the particular patience, ability to empathize and communicate that a really good climbing partnership needs to prosper and survive. I definitely have feared the commitment to the partnership before, and I'm sure I will again. You don't learn in a vacuum and you definitely are wholly dependent on other's skill and judgment at times in the learning process.

Interestingly though, once the hook was deep in my gullet and I transformed into a climber, I've found that the knowledge that I'm dependent on someone else's skill and judgment transformed my entire life. I don't drink more than the barest minimum of alcohol and drive a car. I used to think it was fine to drink a few beers with dinner and drive, but not any more. And that's just one of the most blatant adjustments that this knowledge and sense of commitment have effected in my life.

It's an interesting and deep topic for discussion. I've certainly spent many hours talking about it with my climbing partners, my friends from other parts of life and others...and I will never second guess somebody else's decision as to where to draw the line with which they are comfortable in these matters. It's a weighty decision.