Quote:
There are no "accidental discharges", only negligent discharges and intentional discharges. If that pilot's gun went off because it caught on something in his luggage, then he's at fault for not using a proper holster that would control his weapon within; there are products designed for this. Owning a gun means having it under your control 24/7. People in positions of authority have to be every bit as responsible about their weapons as the average citizen.

100% agree. That is why you either get a firearm with adequate safety controls or properly use a holster. For instance on both my Kimber and my Springfield I have to have my hand on the back of the grip to fire (my hand is pressing in on a safety device when doing that). That device alone makes it so you cannot "accidentally" have it "go off". In further, I cannot even shoot one of my husband's 45's due to the fact that my hands are not strong enough to press on that and still hold the weight of the pistol!

I do have a revolver that has NO safety built in and this means that the revolver stays in its holster at all times. It cannot go off when properly holstered. And as well it has a very heavy trigger pull so it requires quite the pull back to even shoot as well.

This case sounds like sloppy handling of an already poor design of gun.