As we become more dependent on batteries for backpacking (GPS units, UV water purifiers, PLRB beacons & avy beacons, digital watches, efficient LED headlamps and, yes, even our small I-pods) it seems some company needs to look more closely at a flexible, roll-up solar charger - say about 6" X 10" - with adapters to charge various sizes of batteries. Corner grommets attatching it to a backpack lid would seem an ideal location, with the batteries tucked inside the lid.

I know some of these are sold for marine use but no battery size adapters come with them...or am I greatly misinformed?

Now obviously this is extra weight that would usually be carrried only on a very long. unsupported effort. Otherwise spare batteries would be a much lighter solution.

But that's present technology. There has been a development that can take very efficient (& expensive) galium arsenide solar cells and imbed them with tiny infra red absorbing particles, upping the efficiency by a claimed 25% since present solar cells use only visible light. This is still in the prototype stage but closing in on production within a few years.

I realize few of us "need" this gadget (until it comes on the market, that is!). But let's say we take an existing unit from someone like West Marine or a sea kayak company and try to adapt it to AA, AAA coin batteries of various numbers, and the CR123 batteries in SteriPens, etc., etc. HOW IS THAT DONE??
Obviously different retainers are required for diffrent batteries shapes and sizes but the trickier part is different amperages for different batteries. No?

Eric