I have been backpacking in the mountain- and southwest since the early 70's. I have decently light gear in general and don't like to take any more than I absolutely need to be out and about. I recently started consulting this forum.

My main objective was to get educated on what gear is now out their and how the folks that use it, rate it. Primarily I wanted to get a new pack that would work for the 3 to 5-day trip.

I have benefited greatly from the information and excellent tips folks here. One thing in particular I thought I would never try was the spreadsheet all my stuff. But a virus kept me in for two weeks and I got bored. What an eye opener on selecting which of my various options I will go to next. This was especially true when I weighed my various clothing options

What staggers me is the light weights that people discuss. Like I say, I have reasonably light gear (base weight for the big three as I've seen it described less than 9 pounds) but I can't figure how to get much below the 35 to 40 pound starting range per trips such as GCNP and the four corners area.

I suspect mostly it is my water carrying requirement. I don't feel safe from exposing myself to potential dehydration leaving without at least a gallon on board. This is even if I plan to get to water by evening.

I have bailed out too many who haven't carried enough H2O or had them get sick on my trips. If I am dry camping a night or two along the way. or even an out and back dry weekend dry camp it really jacks up the pack weight capacity requirements and limits my pack purchase options.