Couple experiences I have had, they are curious. First encounter, out cutting firewood with my dog. I had finished cutting, had put my saw away and was walking out a little further to scout more trees when I saw the cat, about 100' or less away. After a few seconds, my dog realized something was out there, but with the grass higher than he could see over all he could do was sniff. I took a few steps forward then stopped, thinking, there could be more and nervously looked around. My dog took off about then and I didn't hear or see him leave. I called and he came back in a few minutes. Funny, only 6 months later then, I was out on a earyl season Mt. bike trip with a friend and we had a young cat catch a goose and eat it a little over a 100' from where we were camped. He thought it was a bobcat, I took a look and told him no, that is a lion. It stuck around for a bit until I took a second look about 30 minutes later then it walked away. All the years I have been out and about and I have two sitings within six months. In the Caribou Wilderness which is about an hour north of where I live in N. Calif., I have seen sign of cats but no cats.

Forgot, another siting, I was going to work real early one morning and about a mile from where I live, I saw a large cat, over 100 lbs. cross the road ahead of me, going down someones driveway. A neighbor was out mt bike riding less than half a mile from where we live, had a lion chase a deer across the road ahead of him.

Edited by hikerduane (02/17/08 08:20 AM)