All very interesting ideas/lists.

Some thoughts:

Amoxicillin while fairly broad spectrum is not what I carry: Keflex (generic cephalexin) has better coverage against Staph Aureus and equal coverage for strep (the two major bugs to worry about with a wound infection). Keflex is also good for a urinary tract infection and resp infection........

Pepto-Bismal, while tasting great, is also an antidiarrheal both in terms of GI mechanics and anti bacterial and it reduces upset stomach-so I carry this.

what is in that first aid manual someone is carrying? In a non-urgent situation it would be fine but when the fit hits the shan doubt it would be very helpful......

Note: Percocet is oxycodone and tylenol: ususally 5mg of Ocycodone and 325 mg of Tylenol.........they are the same med essentially.........

I agree that MNS's idea about "forest for the trees" assesment is crucial and also being comfortable with sick people is helpful-hence EMT/Paramedic experience is nice to have as a backup when in the bc..........so to answer Brum's "what is in your wallet?" Knowledge both to treat and to avoid problems........to be comfortable with medical emergencies: get some training..........

In a very famous book about medical training "House of God" the wizened resident tells the junior intern that in an emergency the first thing you do is "check your own pulse." Idea being that if you are calm things go better-trust me that is definitely the case...........

Alcohol gel
water treatment (first two to avoid GI bugs-most common malady in the wilderness)
Epi pen-allergic reaction is eminently treatable with this device-use it for others not myself
Prednisone-the uber anti-inflammatory: takes care of allergic reactions, and has pain relieving properties.......
4X4 bandages
Benadryl
non-latex medical gloves so I can treat others without placing myself at risk......
some type of opiod-Vicodin or percocet.........
knife

there are probably other things that I carry and I am always aware of what I carry for comfort and for life threatening emergencies...........many things I carry are to make my trip less uncomfortable for me should I "be under the weather." Very little is really necessary for true serious emergencies: like that hiker in Utah who had to cut off his arm to survive-AMAZING courage-not sure I would've been able to do that...........

Also read an account of an australian med student who got lost trekking in Nepal and one of the things that struck me was that he had hope until his pen ran out of ink-he kept writing in a diary and this kept up his spirits up while he waited for help-he holed up in his sleeping bag drinking a cup of melted snow a day and he remained relatively hydrated-it is a truly bizarre tale - but people's hope is crucial in these situations and often writing makes people feel less alone..........so I carry a small Sharpie now..........hope to never use it..........