Hello Babybunny,
It sounds like a bummer. Looking at last year’s models, I can see how the down would ‘fall’.
It appears the ’08 models have fixed your problems. They made their baffles smaller. Now your down won’t shift as much.

Geokite’s remark caught my eye “Garments that are denser will not allow as much moisture through them, so moisture mangagement is more of an issue. Garments that are denser will collect more moisture, so it will take longer to dry.”

I’m definitely a proponent of the 850 down jacket (sorry Jim). I’ve been backpacking in my WM Flight for 4 years. It keeps its loft in high wind. When I have my backpack on, the shoulders and back definitely get compressed but I don’t feel a cold spot there. As I feel my back sweat, it always amazes me that when I take off my flight jacket, there is no sweat collecting on the inside of the jacket. For best warmth the down jacket should be just slightly, barely snug with all the layers you are expecting.

As others have noted, UL layering ends up being less weight, better moisture management, and can handle wider temperature ranges. However, if you bushwack through the raspberry patch, then an UL outershell may not be the way to go.

-Barry