thanks jimshaw for directing me to your thread. what great skills to have! i've started playing with fire- using flint/steel and bow drill.

i checked out inpolar's post. a very unique living situation, to say the least.

one of my friends told me that arctic dog's fir does not get wet. my border collie gets soaked- and his dog-friend, a husky, is dry after chasing the skiers all day. so socks made from "dog wool" would not get a wet. you'd want to use only the undercoat, keeping the stiff guard hairs out.

so inpolar inspired me to spin up the day's brushing. i got about an oz. of yarn. it is somewhat soft, tho there are some guard hairs i didn't get. one could use it for an outer garment (jacket, vest). i, personally would not use my border collies fur for a hat or scarf, or anything that rests against the skin. i'm a bit spoiled with all the merino, cashmere and silk i spin!

preprunner,
as far as stuffing a garment with dog fur, make sure to test it's ability to spring back after "normal" compression, wear, washing, etc. you want the fur to maintain it's loft- and therefore it's insulating properties. how i would do it: tease it up into a ball, then quilt it in the fabric you plan to use. i'd do at least a 12"x12" square, as thick as you desire. measure and write down it's thickness, see how well it fills the corners, etc. take photos. be as precise as you can. then test: stuff it. sit on it and wiggle your behind. pull on it- like you're trying to get it out of a stuff sack and your entire trip's food it still on top of it. etc. after you give it a good testing, measure it, photograph, see how it's changed. finally, weigh the test piece. wash it. weigh it once you've finished washing it and have removed the water as one normally would. let it dry- use your dry weight as a guide to see how long it takes to really dry. then measure + critique again. then decide if you want to use it for garment insulation! please post photos + results when you do!

tahomus.