I've worn one once..

See a long time ago I was on a community league board. We had three giant poplar trees, on city property, tearing up the community league structures, also on city property..

The city duly responded to our complaints and said, yes, we could pay to have the trees taken out,
or the city would take them out for free if they were dead. The city would come girdle the trees, but the giant poplars would simply shrug this off and shoot up more desctructive shoots. We got quotes from 30,000 to 50,000 to have them removed. Now the city would only girdle them, because it's bad bad bad to use any chemicals on city property....

Let us say that at 2 am a certain two community members donned tyvek hazmat suite and blue bump hats with sunglasses and eye protection to look official, and payed a visit to the trees with an axe and a sprayer full of double strength roundup. In the fall right before the leaves go they suck up stuff like mad.

Come spring they were deader than doornails with limbs falling off "quick it's a hazard" we called the city and they duly came out and immediately removed the three giant monsters. A few weeks later we got the lecture from our city rep reminding us we couldn't use chemicals on city property, and we duly responded "oh yes, we've never done that..."

Anyway, chopping or doing any kind of activity in a tyvek hazmat suit kind of sucks. I don't think I'd like one for backpacking - they don't exactly have a nice fit either...
Browse my pictures